Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 12:22 PM

11 posts, read 38,857 times

Advertisements

I am a native of Idaho, and I still own land there. I plan to retire there in the next few years. I lived in central Idaho for 46 years. Here is what I saw. Just so you understand, I have many friends who moved from California to the Sun Valley area.

I was raised on a Ranch near Sun Valley. We were not poor, but there was not a lot of cash in the old man's mattress. The quality of life I had was uncomparable to the way my kids were raised. I would have loved to had my kids raised on a ranch. I lived the life that Idaho was all about. Mountian climbing, river-running, fishing, skiing, camping, boating, was what I did for 46 years. All that is a way of life for the real Idaho person, whether you are bor there of move there.

But, here is what I see all too much. People running from the cities, to escape all that is bad in the city, only to bring with them, all of the things they are running from. Taxes are going up all over the state. Crime is going up. Places, that should never have had a house on the land, now is a crowded subdivision. Traffic woes. Ok Ok, I know traffic is still easy compared to LA or San Fran, or Las Vegas, where I am now. But heck you should have seen it in 1970. LOL back then city people got paranoid because of the lack of people.

There is nothing wrong with people wanting to leave crowded cities, for a rural or much less crowded city in Idaho. I just wish they could leave all the baggage, that caused them to leave the city, right there in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 12:17 AM

16 posts, read 104,001 times
Idahoans have a problem with californians because they leave and come up here and dont change the way they act. They dont like what we have to offer after a couple of months and want to change what makes idaho so appealing. The reason we have what we have is because we are pro business and have strong family values. We love our guns and religion. Get what i am saying we are conservative and that is what has kept Idaho great for so many years. Your liberal views have ruined California and now you are trying to bring it here. If that is you, then all I have to say is "Welcome to Idaho... now go back to California"

Old 09-16-2008, 02:50 AM

879 posts, read 2,857,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkins1301 View Post
Idahoans have a problem with californians because they leave and come up here and dont change the way they act. They dont like what we have to offer after a couple of months and want to change what makes idaho so appealing. The reason we have what we have is because we are pro business and have strong family values. We love our guns and religion. Get what i am saying we are conservative and that is what has kept Idaho great for so many years. Your liberal views have ruined California and now you are trying to bring it here. If that is you, then all I have to say is "Welcome to Idaho... now go back to California"
Political views aside...

I find this argument rather arbitrary considering most Californians that consider moving to Idaho are from conservative areas of California...San Diego, Orange County, etc. Quite honestly a good deal of these people have more conservative views than people in Boise. While living in Idaho I never met one LIBERAL Californian. Those that I know down here that are considering a move to Idaho (or similar setting) are conservative. Idaho as a whole has a long way to go before it becomes a blue state.

Believe me...an elitist liberal from San Francisco that so many of you fear and seem to think are invading Idaho have ZERO interest in living in Idaho (except maybe a second home in Sun Valley). The liberal folk "invading" Idaho mostly hale from your rainy neighbors not California.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:53 AM

130 posts, read 428,332 times
Hello, everyone! Yep, it's me, one of your 'rainy neighbors' whose time in sunny Idaho was short and sweet.

I read a lot on these forums about stereotyping. Idahoans don't like being stereotyped as gun-toting, prejudiced skin-heads and I totally get that. But I'd like everyone to take a moment and examine your stereotypes about people from Washington and any other state in the union, then read on.

A little about me:

I am a member of the NRA; I am only Pro-Choice in the sense that I believe women have a right to say "NO" just before things get out of hand; I lived on an undeveloped piece of property in the North Cascade Mountains in a 12X24 cabin with only an outhouse and a wood cookstove and loved every minute of it; I am a Christian, but I feel the death penalty has its function; I have taken homeless kids off the street and given them a hot meal and good swift kick in the pants; I was not my sons' best friend, but their MOTHER; I lost family members in WWII, but would still send my sons off to war if it meant defending our rights as Americans, (heck, I'd go too!); I can take a nasty, green range pony and have it leading within the hour; I can ride an ATV; I drive a big ol' 4 wheel drive GMC.... and I am tickled pink at the prospect of having the Governor of Alaska as VP.
And yet, because I came from Washington, the Seattle area no less, I received a lukewarm reception in Smalltown Idaho and never could quite fit in. It might have been the Birkenstocks?
Now, I understand that things are different in the more populated areas and people are much more accepting. But I chose to relocate to one of the smaller rural areas where apparently people have the super-human ability to detect the stench of Urbania, USA and decide you're only coming to change their cherished way of life.
I guess the only thing I'd like to say is that stereotypes swing both ways and it sucks. It doesn't cost a dime to get to know people and only a little bit of time.
I'll just add here that I ended up selling my beautiful piece of heaven in the mountains after they bulldozed 25 acres of forest behind it and put up a development of vacation properties.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:01 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
Hello, everyone! Yep, it's me, one of your 'rainy neighbors' whose time in sunny Idaho was short and sweet.

I read a lot on these forums about stereotyping. Idahoans don't like being stereotyped as gun-toting, prejudiced skin-heads and I totally get that. But I'd like everyone to take a moment and examine your stereotypes about people from Washington and any other state in the union, then read on.

A little about me:

I am a member of the NRA; I am only Pro-Choice in the sense that I believe women have a right to say "NO" just before things get out of hand; I lived on an undeveloped piece of property in the North Cascade Mountains in a 12X24 cabin with only an outhouse and a wood cookstove and loved every minute of it; I am a Christian, but I feel the death penalty has its function; I have taken homeless kids off the street and given them a hot meal and good swift kick in the pants; I was not my sons' best friend, but their MOTHER; I lost family members in WWII, but would still send my sons off to war if it meant defending our rights as Americans, (heck, I'd go too!); I can take a nasty, green range pony and have it leading within the hour; I can ride an ATV; I drive a big ol' 4 wheel drive GMC.... and I am tickled pink at the prospect of having the Governor of Alaska as VP.
And yet, because I came from Washington, the Seattle area no less, I received a lukewarm reception in Smalltown Idaho and never could quite fit in. It might have been the Birkenstocks?
Now, I understand that things are different in the more populated areas and people are much more accepting. But I chose to relocate to one of the smaller rural areas where apparently people have the super-human ability to detect the stench of Urbania, USA and decide you're only coming to change their cherished way of life.
I guess the only thing I'd like to say is that stereotypes swing both ways and it sucks. It doesn't cost a dime to get to know people and only a little bit of time.
I'll just add here that I ended up selling my beautiful piece of heaven in the mountains after they bulldozed 25 acres of forest behind it and put up a development of vacation properties.
A very good point, and I've tried to be apologetic when someone has called me on the "reverse" stereotyping. As they say with racism, there is no "reverse", it's all just plain ol' ugly, stupid racism.

Stereotypes are bad whoever they target, 'cause anyone who is human should have figured out sometime in early childhood that there is a lot of variety to humans, so there's a lot of variety within each and every "category" humans choose to use to separate themselves.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:25 PM

16 posts, read 104,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
Political views aside...

I find this argument rather arbitrary considering most Californians that consider moving to Idaho are from conservative areas of California...San Diego, Orange County, etc. Quite honestly a good deal of these people have more conservative views than people in Boise. While living in Idaho I never met one LIBERAL Californian. Those that I know down here that are considering a move to Idaho (or similar setting) are conservative. Idaho as a whole has a long way to go before it becomes a blue state.

Believe me...an elitist liberal from San Francisco that so many of you fear and seem to think are invading Idaho have ZERO interest in living in Idaho (except maybe a second home in Sun Valley). The liberal folk "invading" Idaho mostly hale from your rainy neighbors not California.

Sorry there is a pretty big difference between the values of conservative in california and those of us here in idaho. California conservatives are just the democrats of the 70s and 80s. Idaho is the most conservative state in the USA. Yeah Boise is very liberal in terms of idaho second only to Blaine county (sun valley ketchum hailey area). We want to keep the war against muslim extremists on their land not ours. Get the illegals out of here and speak english. Sure some people from california have the views that alot of idahoans have and they get along just fine, those that are liberals hate idaho because of what we stand for. Those are the ones who should go back to california

Old 09-16-2008, 04:17 PM

23 posts, read 65,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
Political views aside...

OMG, I hope this is true. We're from No CA and trying to escape the liberal hive we live in. I would hate to move to an area as beautiful and conservative as Boise and see it turn into what I'm trying to get away from.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Sorry there is a pretty big difference between the values of conservative in california and those of us here in idaho. California conservatives are just the democrats of the 70s and 80s. Idaho is the most conservative state in the USA. Yeah Boise is very liberal in terms of idaho second only to Blaine county (sun valley ketchum hailey area). We want to keep the war against muslim extremists on their land not ours. Get the illegals out of here and speak english. Sure some people from california have the views that alot of idahoans have and they get along just fine, those that are liberals hate idaho because of what we stand for. Those are the ones who should go back to california
Have you lived in California?

Old 09-16-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molley View Post
OMG, I hope this is true. We're from No CA and trying to escape the liberal hive we live in. I would hate to move to an area as beautiful and conservative as Boise and see it turn into what I'm trying to get away from.
Obviously, I don't speak to EVERYONE that moves to Idaho from California but most tend to be LDS, conservative Christian or just "conservative." Also met a few Hispanic families that are also conservative.

I wasn't intending to pass blame that those from WA and OR are all liberals. Believe me, there are many conservative types west of the Cascades too. I lived in Seattle for a short time. Anyways, people can live where they want and have any political view they want. Last time I checked Idaho wasn't a separate country.

Last edited by boi2socal; 09-16-2008 at 04:59 PM..

Old 09-16-2008, 05:55 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,438,925 times
Quote:
Thats a pretty big generalization.. I'm as conservative as it gets, and I know many people like me here in Calif. that are the same way.
Once you get out of the big cities, and more Inland there are lots of good conservative folks. We have the same views and values, we just happen to live in a state where those values are not welcome for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area