Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:37 PM

121 posts, read 738,085 times

Advertisements

Question - With real estate prices, taxes and cost of living in general so absurdly high in California, HOW do people actually live there? Living comfortably in Idaho requires at least $50k per year for a small family (and that's pushing it). Are wages also ridiculously inflated in Cali? How does the person with an average job even afford to pay rent much less buy a home? You'd have to make four times the average Idaho salary to live most anywhere in California at the same standard of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 09:35 AM

43 posts, read 312,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachman View Post
A lot of Californians moving here don't have jobs. They sell their houses for a lot of money come up here and drive our housing prices up because to them it is so cheap. What will you do when you actually have to work and find out that the wages here won't support your life style? Oh and by the way just because you don't work doesn't mean that you can abuse the Free and Reduced lunch program at our schools. I am tired of finding out that people from California who choose not to work are signing their children up for this program and making all the tax payers pay.
I can't for the life of me figure out why ID is such a polarizing state. Non LDS worried about LDS areas and making generalizations about all LDS. Native Idahoans making generalizations about all Californians.
Oh wait, maybe it's all the generalizations.

bachman, I got back from looking at houses around Pocatello yesterday. I live in So Cal.at least till June 11th. You have no idea of my life style here. I will tell you this, I'm taking a pay cut for the job in Pocatello. My children have never been in a lunch program and never will.
I am the type of person that: When the wildfires a few years back were going on opened up his pasture to anyone bring there animals off the mountain and housed and fed them as long as needed. I'm the guy that when his neighbor had heart problems took care of his animals, repaired his fences and worked on his barn. Mine is the family who's 11 and 13 year olds volunteer in the community and for different programs for our troops.

You would be very lucky indeed to have me as a neighbor, because if you needed help we would be there. I would never ask your religion, where you were from or anything else. I would help simply because you needed it.

I was only treated rudely once during this past week. By a kid at the mini storage I rented. As soon as he saw we were from CA he said why are you bringing stuff here? I wanted to tell him it was none of his damn business. But being a polite Californian I explained I had taken a job in the area. That wasn't good enough, he had to know with who. When I said with the Federal DOT his whole attitude changed.

Really folks, some LDS are less than ideal. Some Californians are less than ideal. Some native Idahoans are less than ideal but to judge entire groups by these problems? Seems like a good way to miss out on a lot of positive experiences.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:04 AM

8 posts, read 38,919 times
JIMC~ I have 3families on my street alone and thier are only 10 houses. So come on over to Chubbuck and move in our neighborhood I think people from Calafornia are some of the nicest I have met =). I love meeting new people with a more diverse background than living here thier whole life.

By the way just a little note on the Free Reduced Lunch Program. I would seriously not worry alot about that program as it is actually one of those programs that creates funding for more needed programs. The income limit is actually pretty high and schools encourage people to get on it because the more people on this program the more much needed Title 1 funds they receive. I am not on it but I happen to have a note that was sent home from the school today in regards to this.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:04 AM

349 posts, read 1,040,488 times
Thumbs up To JimC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

bachman, I got back from looking at houses around Pocatello yesterday. I live in So Cal.at least till June 11th. You have no idea of my life style here. I will tell you this, I'm taking a pay cut for the job in Pocatello. My children have never been in a lunch program and never will.
I am the type of person that: When the wildfires a few years back were going on opened up his pasture to anyone bring there animals off the mountain and housed and fed them as long as needed. I'm the guy that when his neighbor had heart problems took care of his animals, repaired his fences and worked on his barn. Mine is the family who's 11 and 13 year olds volunteer in the community and for different programs for our troops
I know I would be proud to call you my neighbor, too bad we are moving to different areas of Idaho, my hubby and I will be about 4 hrs. north of you. From what my bro describes of where he lives you would be welcomed with open arms, you are the kind of family that would blend in to his part of Idaho, people helping people is what it's all about not where you are from,why you are moving and what your religious preference is. Please let me welcome you to Idaho with best wishes.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:09 PM

630 posts, read 2,432,386 times
Boise isn't a desert area.
It's called the "City of Trees", and there is an abundance of trees.
Yes, there are sagebrush areas surrounding the Boise area.
The deserty area is more towards Mountain Home.

Boise is a very green, beautiful area, with mountains closeby.
You don't have to drive far (Idaho City), to be where a lot of pine trees are.
Or, towards McCall... or even Sun Valley.
If you want to ski, then, drive up to Bogus Basin.
Boise has culture, outdoor recreation, family values, and a great quality of life.

Caldwell, has a higher hispanic population, but, has pretty decent housing.
Nampa is right next to Caldwell.
Vallivue is a really good school district in parts of Nampa and Caldwell.

Eagle about 10 years ago was a small town with the smell of cows in the distance. Today, it is an overpriced, expensive, crowded place.
The cows are long gone, and so has the cute little small town atmosphere.

Meridian/Kuna have pretty much converged together, and eaten up a lot of the farmland.
They are decent places to live.
Good schools.

Boise, is a great city.
It just depends on what you want.
A small town, or a large town, with a small town atmosphere.

Idaho is a conservative state. With high family values.
It's a melting pot of people from all over the country, who have moved here to make it their home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
Hi,

Our family lives in the foothills of central california, about two hours from Tahoe. We are looking to relocate to the boise area. I say boise because of jobs available in my husband's field. He doesn't want to commute to far.

I have seen some houses on line that have pine trees. I am wondering. Is Bosie mostly high desert or are there some near by areas that have pine trees and foothills.

Also what are the best towns near bosie to live in. We have small kids so are also wondering what are the best school districts. We now live in a small town in the hills. I saw good prices on homes in cadwell, eagle looks interesting. What is the area like as far as landscape. How far would we have to move from boise to get in the foothills with pines.

Thanks for any help you can give us.

Izzy

Last edited by MomsTn; 04-10-2007 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: added a space

Old 04-10-2007, 12:55 PM

155 posts, read 821,666 times
so on that note - would you say - a family moving from AZ - due to overcrowding, lack of family spirit, crime, etc
would you select Boise over Idaho Falls - for family activities, outdoor activities, shopping(boutique style - not big box mall or stores), friendly people, and good schools with lots of trees and waterways.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:55 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,787,483 times
Default Please check out Eagle before you discount it completely

I have to say that I humbly disagree with IdahoReturn's statement below . Eagle may not be the small town it once was (how many towns in growing communities stay the same over 10 yrs?), but for many of us who are relatively new to this area, it is still a very small town. Now each of us is different in what defines a small town, but I would have to say Eagle would fit most person's definition of small town !

And as far as overpriced, expensive or crowded . Eagle has a wide variety of pricing from ~ $200K up to the millions. If you are looking for under $200K, then YES, you will probably not find much. Crowded?? Where is it crowded? Totally disagree on this issue . And Eagle is so progressive with building parks and walking trails and supporting the soon to be built Cyclist Park near my home. So many cool things going on (too many to mention) .

Lastly, for IdahoReturn to say that the cows are long gone, that leads me to believe he or she doesn't live here anymore, because the cows are definitely still here. Maybe not as many as IdahoReturn remembers, but I can tell you from first hand, on the ground experience, I still see and smell them almost daily .

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoReturn View Post
Eagle about 10 years ago was a small town with the smell of cows in the distance. Today, it is an overpriced, expensive, crowded place.
The cows are long gone, and so has the cute little small town atmosphere.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:59 AM

630 posts, read 2,432,386 times
That's ok, we can agree to disagree.
I liked Eagle when it was a smelly "cow town."
Now, it's just Yuppyville.

You've got to realize that Idahoans can't really afford those houses.
When we had the influx of people moving in... and I'm not saying just Californians.... but, when all of the people started moving into the area, it caused a sudden growth, and a spike in housing prices.
The average person couldn't afford those houses in the 200, 300, and up thousand range.

Boise especially, has gone through such a drastic change in the last 10 years.
Some of it good, but, some of it very sad.

I am an Idahoan... I have lived in Boise, Kuna and Meridian.
I have also lived in Rexburg.
Went to school in Rexburg when I was little, and some as a teenager.
I am also a Christian, who was raised LDS.
So, I know both sides of the fence.

I have seen the good with the bad.
I also homeschooled my kids.
Two were homeschooled, and two preferred public schools.

I'm also a graduate from Boise State University.
So, yes, I do know Idaho.

At present, no, we don't live in the Boise area, we're moving back.
I was just there last year, and will be back again this summer.
However, I keep in touch, and know what is going on there.
My Aunt happens to be one of those "yuppies" that lives in Eagle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydawglady View Post
I have to say that I humbly disagree with IdahoReturn's statement below . Eagle may not be the small town it once was (how many towns in growing communities stay the same over 10 yrs?), but for many of us who are relatively new to this area, it is still a very small town. Now each of us is different in what defines a small town, but I would have to say Eagle would fit most person's definition of small town !

And as far as overpriced, expensive or crowded . Eagle has a wide variety of pricing from ~ $200K up to the millions. If you are looking for under $200K, then YES, you will probably not find much. Crowded?? Where is it crowded? Totally disagree on this issue . And Eagle is so progressive with building parks and walking trails and supporting the soon to be built Cyclist Park near my home. So many cool things going on (too many to mention) .

Lastly, for IdahoReturn to say that the cows are long gone, that leads me to believe he or she doesn't live here anymore, because the cows are definitely still here. Maybe not as many as IdahoReturn remembers, but I can tell you from first hand, on the ground experience, I still see and smell them almost daily .

Old 04-11-2007, 02:46 PM

155 posts, read 821,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deem View Post
so on that note - would you say - a family moving from AZ - due to overcrowding, lack of family spirit, crime, etc
would you select Boise over Idaho Falls - for family activities, outdoor activities, shopping(boutique style - not big box mall or stores), friendly people, and good schools with lots of trees and waterways.
so in regards to the above question is there any answers

Old 04-13-2007, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,633 times
Hello everyone, this if my first time on the site and man am I very surprised but in a way I’m not. I currently live in a town called Glendora in the Los Angeles County. I was born and raised mostly in San Diego County but have spent a short time in Oregon, Utah, and Montana.

Now that I am 30 years old, married with a son and another child on the way, it saddens me to have the thoughts that I can’t live in Southern California anymore. As posted by others it is true of what is happening to California and us little guys are suffering. My wife and I both have college degrees and make just over $90,000 combined and we can’t even afford a home here.

Actually that is not entirely true, we could afford one but it would have to be out in the desert and I would have to commute into Orange County which would be at least a 2 hour drive. These kinds of homes are attracting the epitome of the human race fighting over houses just to afford to live in this state. Houses meant to be for single family use are sheltering multiples of families trying to have a roof over their heads. With that come the effects of large groups together: your peaceful neighborhood becomes a ruckus with cars parked everywhere, wondering people through your property, trash neglected, loud parties, and even the taking of your valuables. Gangs start up because this multiple family was looking at this other family wrongly. Next thing you know you have fear in your eyes about your children or even you and your wife getting caught in the middle. Where is the police to patrol your streets, well they didn’t pass the bill that would have hired more for your area.

Then you send your child off to school and hope that he or she doesn’t get lost and confused at what language they should speak or even if the teacher knows who they are, and if they are getting properly educated. This list goes on.

What about jobs? There are many jobs here but in my line of work, but if you aren’t bilingual then good luck. Health care sucks and don’t go to the ER because you will be waiting for over 2 hours. I waited 5 hours once for my wife.

You need insurance for EVERYTHING now. I had to up my car insurance due to the fact that if I got hit from someone else, chances are that they won’t have insurance.

What about California being called the “Sue Me State”? It is true. I’ve heard of story the other day from my wife where one of her children that she cleans their teeth told my wife that she got suspended for school for punching a boy who was making fun of her. Now that boy’s parents are suing her family. What the HECK is up with that?

What I am trying to say is that this place just isn’t worth the nice weather and beautiful beaches anymore. I’m getting to the point that I just want to be somewhere where another person enjoys my company and want’s to be my neighbor. Then I come on this website and hear all the crappy talk about how California’s are invading us and making this place less attractive, and overpopulated. All I can say is WOW, talk about being selfish. I wonder how many of you are originally from Idaho. When I was in Oregon the people that gave us the most trouble about being from California weren’t even from Oregon originally. They came from somewhere too. Maybe it’s because you had the idea first.

Now I would say this, if I was to move there I would just about give up all my feelings of holding on to the fact that I am from Southern California and become an Idahoan. I think that maybe that is the problem that these other Californians are having: they still have Californian Pride and can’t let go. I bet that if they could, under better conditions, would be back in California if the housing prices were low and all the Hispanics were gone. Personally I’m looking to move somewhere and stay put, becoming a resident for the rest of my life. I’m looking to see what I can give to the community not what I can take from them. Heck I’m willing to give up my Dodgers, Lakers, Angels, Clippers, Kings, Ducks, USC, UCLA games so that I can find happiness. We all just want to be happy, right? I want to believe that the Boise area is where I can start my personal roots, and have a place where I am proud that my kids will be growing up in.

Last I just want to say that as a life long member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, if you want to really understand what our religion is all about sit down and listen to what a member has to say. Don’t go to a produce guy to know what the best buy on a steak is; go to the butcher. Everyone isn’t perfect and I know that I’m not but I have never, never discriminated someone for not being a Mormon. Jesus never taught that and as one who tries to follow his teaching, (yes the Jesus Christ of the Bible, the one that died for me on the cross) I’ve been taught to love thy brother as thy self. Sure, I’ve had bad experiences amongst my own while living in Utah in high school, but it’s all about you and your belief in God. If you are worried about how others treat you, or how they talk about you then you better grow a back bone. Look what Christ when through and he still forgave them in the end. Mormons are everywhere just like the Muslims and Jews and everyone else. I really don’t think your property value is going down if we live by you and you personal value might even go up.

Good luck to all of you, and maybe I’ll see you on the streets of Boise or maybe not. I might just head back up to Bozeman, Montana where I got my college degree. They didn’t have a problem with Californians or Mormons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area