Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 09:40 AM

3 posts, read 7,442 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Boise from Portland, OR. Our move is happening really quickly as we just found out and my husband may start his job the first week of August. We want to get settled before our son starts Kindergarten.

I have a friend that grew up in Boise and has recommended the North End to us. We are currently living in NE Portland in a 1922 bungalow and walking/biking distance to schools, shops and restaurants. We would like to maintain a similar quality of life (although understanding its a smaller town.)

My number one priority is to find a neighborhood with the best elementary school. I've heard Highland is good (although maybe more remote) and Longfellow seems great. Any feedback you have on schools and great neighborhoods is very appreciated. Also i understand Kindergarten is all half day with the possibility of paying for full day. It is the same here in Portland and very few kids go half day here. Is it the same in Boise? My son will be six soon and is very ready for full day.

Can anyone recommend a good real estate agent? I may be coming to Boise this weekend to start our search.

Thanks so much. We really look forward to joining your community!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 12:34 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,478,654 times
Look up Benchfan on the forum and send her a message. She was my real estate agent and did a great job.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:56 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,948 times
Thanks, grmi66.

Highlands, while a great school, is not a walkable and serves a nice mid-century to modern day neighborhood of foothills homes.

Longfellow and Washington are in the heart of the north end. I'd personally choose Washington first because I like the area of the north end west of 13th from a housing perspective. Further west is Longfellow. It's also a great school but hits some parts of the north end outside of north end proper. Their test scores won't be as high as Longfellow and Washington but that's because they serve more of a mix socioeconomically. They do have awesome parent involvement and wonderful teachers.

If choosing between Highlands/Longfellow/Washington, housing will be your main consideration as the schools are all very strong--you can't go wrong.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:27 PM

3 posts, read 7,442 times
I've decided to search homes in Adams, Roosevelt, Longfellow, and Washington Elementary school boundaries. Can anyone tell me about these schools? I know they get great test scores, I guess I'm wondering how well they're thought of in the community as well as the atmosphere and learning styles at the schools. Can anyone tell me about Full day kindergarten?

Old 07-20-2012, 09:22 AM

85 posts, read 294,487 times
I love Washington School. I went there in 1956 ! Seriously, it is the best. still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area