Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:26 AM

255 posts, read 710,582 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I am new to posting on the forums, but I have read many helpful posts. My hubby and I are thinking of moving out West next fall, and we have narrowed it down to Boise, Colorado Springs or Denver. (Like many people on these forums, it appears!)

We currently live in Memphis, TN, and we have many family members here. We would like to be able to fly back and forth relatively cheaply, if possible, a few times a year. (Flights in the $300's range per person.) We are also thinking of our family members who would want to visit us. In terms of flying in and out of Boise, are there discount airlines that serve the Southeast? I know Southwest Airlines flies in and out, but they are still about $500 per person per flight. $1000 for 2 people a pop is a little rough several times a year!

I noticed that Frontier Air is no longer serving Boise. Is this expected to continue? We have flown to Denver several times on Frontier VERY cheaply. I would love to live in Boise, but the cost of travel seems little prohibitive at this point.

Any other suggestions for cheaper ways to fly in/out of the area? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 02:59 PM

Anyone?? =)

Old 08-27-2012, 03:05 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,010 times
I think if you search Expedia, Hotiwire, or the other major travel sites you'll see what there is to see. Southwest has its own website. I don't know of another carrier that isn't on the major sites. Boise is quite a bit smaller than the other cities you've mentioned and since we're not a hub, you do have to fly to a larger airport to connect to the east coast which is more expensive. Denver would definitely be the cheapest travel-wise as they are a major hub and if you are willing to drive to Denver to fly from Colorado Springs, that will also be pretty economical. Good luck!

Old 08-27-2012, 05:15 PM

21 posts, read 55,962 times
We use Southwest, but fly to CA often, not the east coast.
If you sign up for alerts from the Southwest website they will let you know when they have sales. They have really good sales, used to be every couple of months, but now seems like I don't see them as often.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:28 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
Alaska occasionally has sale prices from Seattle and Portland. My brother just bought a 137 RT from Seattle. (You'll spend much more than that on gas, btw). Of course, they were only midweek, and limited. But check Alaskaair.com as they post specials frequently.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:08 PM

278 posts, read 906,003 times
Boise air service is an increasing problem as carriers continue to cut flights. Service to the east coast is especially problematic as they are few flights in that direction and the ones that exist aren't cheap. In general you can count on having to connect through Denver or Chicago (United) or Salt Lake City (Delta). For service back east, Denver is definitely your best bet as it has direct flights to almost everywhere.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 AM

Thanks, all. I have checked the discount websites like Expedia and Southwest, but I haven't tried Alaska air yet. I will try that!

It is amazingly expensive to fly into Memphis' airport as well, which doesn't help the problem! Many Memphians drive 2 hours to Little Rock or 3 hours to Nashville just to be able to fly on Southwest or Frontier. (Neither fly directly into Memphis because we are a Delta hub, now. Grrrr...)

Thank you, again, for the input.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:48 AM

9 posts, read 52,229 times
You might want to check Jetblue's site, too. I don't know what their fares/routes are, but I know they don't participate in the sites like Orbitz or Expedia.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:26 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdub View Post

It is amazingly expensive to fly into Memphis' airport as well, which doesn't help the problem! Many Memphians drive 2 hours to Little Rock or 3 hours to Nashville just to be able to fly on Southwest or Frontier. (Neither fly directly into Memphis because we are a Delta hub, now. Grrrr...)
With the airline consolidations we've had in recent years, the capacity of the industry has been substantially shrunk which of course has achieved the airline's goals of higher airfares. This makes flying into/out of a small or medium sized markets like Boise especially pricey.
Atleast you've got some competition on pricing between United Chicago/Denver hubs vs Delta hub @ SLC.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:31 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Well good/bad news, Delta, has been downgrading its sub/hubs Memphis has lost alot of its Delta (old NW) flights.

Atlanta the eye of the storm for Delta | www.ajc.com

After Southwest, completes its schedule merger moving all AirTran Flight into Southwest Flights, SW is going to have to look for other city pairs to fly to. As the overlap in SW/AirTran are remove, and planes are free'ed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area