Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 7,064 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Hi all,

I am a current Manhattanite, that lived for a couple of years in Boise due to family residing there.

I grew up abroad, so i definitely appreciate the diversity of NYC. However, as much as i like NYC, its very difficult here to realize my dreams here due to gigantic capital requirements for property, taxes and red tape. Besides, i have no family in the Northeast, so if i don't travel to Boise, i end up eating pizza for Thanksgiving or Christmas. This is leading me back to Boise.

My goal is not to move to Boise now, but rather have a winter vacation house to avoid freezing NE winters. Also, i can see potential for permanent residence for either retirement (im only 30 so you could say its a bit premature) or if succeed in starting my own tech startup business, in which case i will flee NYC since it will tax the business to death.

All of which leads me to my question.

I am about 2 weeks from closing on my first non-mortgage real estate deal. My goal is to buy 1 (or 2 properties right next to each other) with lots of land within walking distance of my relatives (SW boise) so can eventually build a heliport. Yes, i plan to buy a helicopter to get from SW boise to city limits / hills / snake river / Bogus (?).

Of course, the first thing would be to play nice with neighbors so they don't raise hell. I think 2 acres of land should do the trick for a heliport, but i will have to do more research. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with city code in terms of rules for this sort of thing? Any pilots? I absolutely hate driving or walking because they are too slow (i bike everywhere), so i'm looking for a long-term solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 08:41 PM

43 posts, read 107,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlordkf View Post
Hi All,
Hi all,

I am a current Manhattanite, that lived for a couple of years in Boise due to family residing there.

I grew up abroad, so i definitely appreciate the diversity of NYC. However, as much as i like NYC, its very difficult here to realize my dreams here due to gigantic capital requirements for property, taxes and red tape. Besides, i have no family in the Northeast, so if i don't travel to Boise, i end up eating pizza for Thanksgiving or Christmas. This is leading me back to Boise.

My goal is not to move to Boise now, but rather have a winter vacation house to avoid freezing NE winters. Also, i can see potential for permanent residence for either retirement (im only 30 so you could say its a bit premature) or if succeed in starting my own tech startup business, in which case i will flee NYC since it will tax the business to death.

All of which leads me to my question.

I am about 2 weeks from closing on my first non-mortgage real estate deal. My goal is to buy 1 (or 2 properties right next to each other) with lots of land within walking distance of my relatives (SW boise) so can eventually build a heliport. Yes, i plan to buy a helicopter to get from SW boise to city limits / hills / snake river / Bogus (?).

Of course, the first thing would be to play nice with neighbors so they don't raise hell. I think 2 acres of land should do the trick for a heliport, but i will have to do more research. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with city code in terms of rules for this sort of thing? Any pilots? I absolutely hate driving or walking because they are too slow (i bike everywhere), so i'm looking for a long-term solution.
When you say "SW Boise" how SW are you talking? I know of at least two "Fly in Communities" in the area. Sunrise Skypark and Red Baron Estates. I am not to sure of the city code, but I can get some info for you.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:43 AM

43 posts, read 107,425 times
Ada County Code:
8-5-3-6: AIRCRAFT LANDING FIELD (PRIVATE OWNERSHIP):
A. Prior to application, the applicant or owner shall receive airspace approval from the federal aviation administration.

B. The runway design shall comply with the design and construction standards and recommendations in the federal aviation administration handbook entitled "Airport Design", advisory circular 150/5300-13.

C. If applicable, the applicant shall provide verification of compliance with the regulations and requirements of the following agencies:

1. Federal aviation administration.

2. Idaho transportation department (bureau of aeronautics).

3. Idaho military division-national guard.

4. The city of Boise airport commission.

D. Any accessory uses including, but not limited to, fuel storage areas, structures or facilities for storing and maintenance of aircraft, and any outdoor storage or tie down areas shall be included on the master site plan for the aircraft landing field.

E. As applicable, the applicant shall obtain written approval for fuel tanks from Idaho division of environmental quality, Idaho department of water resources, and the appropriate fire authority.

F. The aircraft landing field shall not be located within the Snake River natural area birds of prey and canyon preservation as noted on the Ada County comprehensive plan generalized future land use map or within the Snake River birds of prey national conservation area. (Ord. 389, 6-14-2000)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area