Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 08:04 AM

43 posts, read 53,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DispatchDave View Post
Residents move to Idaho from outside the state. Demand for homes increases, thus value of homes increases. More residents = more demand for goods and services. This helps the local economy and the housing market. Tell me again why Idahoans want Californians to stay out.
We had been here about 2 weeks when an angry driver pulled up next to my wife as she was exiting the freeway, yelled obsenities about Californians at her, then proceeded to move his car so as to force her off the off ramp into the dirt. She was simply trying to take our 2 year old to his daycare. We have found this to be very much the exception, not the rule. People here are genuinely nice and this has been our only bad experience. But I still don't understand why so many Idahoans harbor a grudge toward Californians. No matter where one may hail from originally, it is rude to say, "Well back in our home state, we did it this way," or, "it was so much better in So and So State because of such and such a reason." Anyone who does this should expect to have a rude welcome. However, I've met many, many people here who are originally from SoCal and have not once heard one of them say anything negative in comparing one state to the other.
Dave, are you still in Boise and is this something that we should be worried about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 08:11 AM

731 posts, read 957,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningfromCalifornia View Post
Dave, are you still in Boise and is this something that we should be worried about?
I've, not once, been treated poorly by any Idahoan, whether they knew I was from CA, or not. Had my CA plates for about 4 months before switching, no issues. Not to say it won't, or can't happen, but not in all my previous visits, nor since I moved here this past Feb., have I heard anything but gracious welcomes. Nice!

No worries!

Old 07-24-2015, 08:19 AM

43 posts, read 53,460 times
I guess it just depends on your own experience? I've been reading things on here that sort of scare me, a lot of comments about "just change your plates as soon as possible," plus I have friends and some family in Boise that tell me much of the same thing.

I have thick skin so I'm not too worried about myself, I just don't want my family harassed. How do new kids do in the school system? Schools can be so tough and cliquey. Do the schools there have a problem with bullying new kids? Are some schools better than others? My friends said it's probably better to be in Meridian or even Eagle, but some of the Boise schools might be more insular and less accepting???

Old 07-24-2015, 08:53 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,201 times
Quote:
I guess it just depends on your own experience? I've been reading things on here that sort of scare me, a lot of comments about "just change your plates as soon as possible," plus I have friends and some family in Boise that tell me much of the same thing.

I have thick skin so I'm not too worried about myself, I just don't want my family harassed. How do new kids do in the school system? Schools can be so tough and cliquey. Do the schools there have a problem with bullying new kids? Are some schools better than others? My friends said it's probably better to be in Meridian or even Eagle, but some of the Boise schools might be more insular and less accepting???
Boise School District is generally considered the best in the state. Meridian is not awful but is overcrowded and has some serious funding and growth issues that won't be resolved any time soon and likely to get worse before it gets better with the current growth. I'm not familiar with Eagle.

I've never heard of any of the schools in the valley being insular and less accepting. It is school, so there will be cliques and potential issues at all of them, but I wouldn't pick a school district based on those fears.

Last edited by truckingbronco; 07-24-2015 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 07-24-2015, 09:04 AM

719 posts, read 1,566,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Boise School District is generally considered the best in the state. Meridian is not awful but is overcrowded and has some serious funding and growth issues that won't be resolved any time soon and likely to get worse before it gets better with the current growth. I'm not familiar with Eagle.

I've never heard of any of the schools in Boise being insular and less accepting. It is school, so there will be cliques and potential issues at all of them, but I wouldn't pick a school district based on those fears.
Eagle and most of West Boise are both in the Meridian district...which is actually called West Ada these days. Only about half the kids in the district are actually living in Meridian, hence the name change. It's a pretty good district too that almost always passes levies (notable fail a year or two ago that has since passed on a second attempt). West Ada has to deal with far more growth issues than Boise and that's going to remain a challenge, but the schools by in large are pretty good. Boise has some poor performing schools in its district as well, as does about any school district.

The main thing I've heard about cliques in this area are the LDS kids, who tend to group up and stick to themselves.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:38 AM

879 posts, read 2,857,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaD View Post
The main thing I've heard about cliques in this area are the LDS kids, who tend to group up and stick to themselves.
Definitely true. I went to elementary school in SE Boise and it was fine. Moved to West Boise for 6th Grade on and found making friends very difficult. Lots of people tout how great Mormon kids are...no, they're just as mean or sometimes meaner than other kids. By the time high school came around there were still obvious cliques but the kids seemed to have moderated and been less nasty.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:01 AM

335 posts, read 376,390 times
Quote:
The thread is 3 years old.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:32 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
The thread is 3 years old.
True, but the person who revived it is asking for an update on this original info...and that can be answered by anyone. So in this case I wouldn't consider it grave-digging an old thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area