Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 07:43 PM

34 posts, read 87,436 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are making our first trip to Boise next Saturday and will be in town Sat-Wed. We are staying at the Boise Guest House. This is kind of a vacation but also a research trip as we are considering a move from Texas to Boise in the summer. We know we have a lot of driving around to do to figure out neighborhoods & such. But what are some fun things going on at this time of the year that we should do/see? Great places to eat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 09:29 AM

623 posts, read 1,612,372 times
There have been several recent posts that have asked the same questions with lots of suggestions in the responses. Try searching "things to do" or other similar searches in the forum--I think you'll find some great, current suggestions.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:55 AM

232 posts, read 565,556 times
That's kind of funny. When we made our first scouting trip out here to check the area, we also stayed at the Boise Guest House.

If you will arrive Saturday morning, the big Boise Farmer's Market happens every Sat right by the capitol building, which is about 3 blocks from the guest house. It's much more than a regular farmers market and will give you good insight to the area.

Things are kind of slow at the Expo Idaho this time of year, but check the schedule. The same goes for the Idaho Center in Nampa (about 20 miles away). You can visit Ann Morrison park and walk or bicycle along the river. It's getting a bit cool, but there are probably still folks out "tubing" down the river....a typical Boise summer thing to do. There are shows going on all the time in various places around town. Sorry, it's hard for me to be specific because I tossed out "The Scene" from the newspaper and the one for next week should be in today's paper. There are a fair number of hiking trails right in town or on the edge, some good ones within a 15 minute drive from the guest house.

Since I have no idea of what interests y'all, it's difficult to recommend things. For me, I like to load up the dirt bikes and head out to some of the riding areas nearby (which is where I'm headed as soon as I finish typing this). Idaho has a ton of state-maintained trails for motorcycles, ATVs, mountain bicycles, horses, and hikers (and no, not all on the same trails!!). If you're an outdoorsy person, this part of the country is heaven. Hunting and fishing are very popular, as well as camping. If you're into crafts of all sorts, that's also very big here. Or, if you just want to putter around in the garden and relax in a swing while reading a novel, you can do that too!

I assume you'll have a rental car. Don't forget to bring your GPS....makes it a lot easier. We were interested in seeing what sort of houses were available in our price range, so we contacted a realtor and she took us around as she had time. She also gave us some addresses to go check out, which we did. You can learn a lot by driving through neighborhoods. I can give you her name if you'd like.

The leaves will be changing by the time you arrive. Nights will be chilly, so bring a jacket.

Any questions welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEVmom View Post
My husband & I are making our first trip to Boise next Saturday and will be in town Sat-Wed. We are staying at the Boise Guest House. This is kind of a vacation but also a research trip as we are considering a move from Texas to Boise in the summer. We know we have a lot of driving around to do to figure out neighborhoods & such. But what are some fun things going on at this time of the year that we should do/see? Great places to eat?

Old 09-28-2012, 07:54 PM

34 posts, read 87,436 times
Thanks, Moto. We will have a rental car. We do plan to look at houses quite a bit, but are not truly house hunting yet. This is just our first scouting. If we decide to move, we will return late spring.

Can anyone recommend restaurants? We love good food (who doesn't?).

Old 10-01-2012, 09:10 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,372 times
You might find some more info in these links:
//www.city-data.com/forum/boise...ch-dinner.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/boise...gs-do-see.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area