Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:43 PM

264 posts, read 907,763 times

Advertisements

Why are home prices less in Meridan ?
The homes online seem nice in both towns. We are thinking of moving to Boise after my son gets out of high school. Whats Eagle have or not have that affects prices so much ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 10:34 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,610 times
Eagle is more of a boutique-y little town. It has a charming downtown. It has lots of high-end riverfront properties and some very well put together, established, high-end subdivisions. There are also some view properties and horse properties. Eagle sits between the Boise River and the Foothills, providing great access to both, and is 15 minutes to get into Boise. There are very few starter homes in Eagle so the prices overall are much higher. Also, Eagle has its share of homes over a million dollars. Five properties sold for over $1,000,000 in the past year in Ada County--three were in Eagle, one SE Boise, one NE Boise.

Meridian is more of a typical suburb with shopping centered around big box stores. There are lots of entry level subdivisions. There are some very nice planned communities and many options for those wanting new construction. There has also been a lot of really basic construction with an emphasis on size over quality--not everywhere in Meridian because they do have some really well put together planned communities and high-end construction, too. Most of the land in Meridian is flat with subdivisions sprawling and taking over what used to be farmland. South Meridian has some rolling hills and view homes. Overall, Meridian lacks the "wow" factor that Eagle has, but it is still a nice area.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:27 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
I live right on the edge of both cities. When I visit friends in either city this is what I see. Eagle has more custom homes, the lots seem bigger and the homes are closer to the Boise river. If they are not close to the river the homes are on nice rolling hills. Plus if you like to go hiking or mountain biking there is a great trail system close to town.

Meridian seems very cookie cutter to me, every third house in the subdivision looks the same. The lots seem smaller and there are no natural amenities close by.

The other thing to consider is trying to get in or out of either city in rush hour. Meridian is a real pain and I avoid going over there in rush hour as much as possible.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:43 AM

285 posts, read 850,282 times
The two posters above me have it down. Although I don't think either city has a "wow" factor at all. Eagle is just nicer than Meridian, they are both dull.

Lots of people look into the suburbs here not realizing that Boise is pretty much a suburb with the exception of downtown and the immediate surroundings. It would be wise to look into south east Boise and the Boise foot hills imo.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 AM

264 posts, read 907,763 times
Thanks all for the information. I would like to be near trails for running. The whole area would be part of my sales territory and I will be working from office at home.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:33 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
I do a bunch of trail running and if I would have known before I bought I would look more into NW Boise. There are trails in Eagle, but NW Boise has better access to more trails. Plus NW Boise puts you 10 minutes closer to downtown. I live near Cloverdale and Chinden and it takes me 15 minutes to get to the closest trails, 20-25 minutes to get to the best trails.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:41 PM

151 posts, read 459,776 times
Do either of these areas have condominiums? I'm a single guy and don't need that much space. Of course, if there are good deals on 3-bedroom, 2-bath single family homes, I would take that. I am not interested in buying at the moment since I live in Chicago taking care of my elderly mother, more so now after my dad passed away last year.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:08 PM

Boise foothills and Southeast Boise have excellent trail and other outdoor access and very acceptable proximity to downtown and the freeway.

You will find very few condos in the area, but there are quite a few in downtown and immediately around it. They are scattered around the valley - none besides the downtown ones (IMO) are in an especially desirable location with the exception of 1 or 2 units in the bench area and of course the few options in Southeast Boise are great.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:37 PM

151 posts, read 459,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILI.EB View Post
Boise foothills and Southeast Boise have excellent trail and other outdoor access and very acceptable proximity to downtown and the freeway.

You will find very few condos in the area, but there are quite a few in downtown and immediately around it. They are scattered around the valley - none besides the downtown ones (IMO) are in an especially desirable location with the exception of 1 or 2 units in the bench area and of course the few options in Southeast Boise are great.

Well, considering the lower than the average prices of single family homes, it would be better just to buy that than a condominium anyway. I would like to speak to someone who moved there from the Chicago area. This is really starting to interest me. I think I read Boise recently about one of the most desirable cities to live in the country.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:56 PM

If space is what you're looking for, I agree that it would be better to look for a single family home, but sometimes people want the maintenance taken care of and don't need the space. Home prices are on the rise though and it seems as if they are increasing rapidly.

Also home prices in the areas I mentioned for the condo's are often near twice the price for a comparable home elsewhere in the Boise / Meridian, so that may hold some weight as to which to buy.

I am not from the Chicago area, but I am from the San Francisco area and Boise is very nice in many many aspects. If you like big city living though, then it isn't what you would want. It's hard to get used to the lack of a real freeway system and the lack certain amenities only offered in larger cities.

If you love outdoors, a quieter and slower lifestyle, mountains, rural scenery, etc then it is awesome. I do love it and my only complaint is really that it lacks true "large city amenities" and that is my own fault for believing that I could live without some things.

If you like what you have been reading about the area, maybe it's time for a visit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area