Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 07:53 PM

31 posts, read 95,381 times

Advertisements

My wife and I were in Boise this last August and toured just about the whole city including Eagle and Meridian for a potential move but did not venture in neighborhoods south of I-84, west of the airport. I know there are some newer homes there, especially south of Amity and east of Cloverdale. Anyone live in this vicinity that can describe if planes coming and going are heard. I understand that anyone can get used to that kind of noise in time, but if I have a choice I would rather be in a quiet setting. What kind of planes go in and out (military, cargo, just domestic?) Which direction do they approach the airport from. Really I just need to know what the noise level is like. For instance if your talking to someone in your house or on the phone, do you have to wait until the plane flys away before you can continue talking or is it so loud that you sometimes find yourself having to turn up the volume on the TV?

Last edited by mlaughlin; 11-16-2012 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: mispelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 09:16 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,021 times
BOI (Boise Gowen) does have a strong military presence, and most of the noise comes from that. I believe most of this occurs during the daytime, however.

The commercial airlines use aircraft that are mostly quiet, and frankly there are not enough flights to make it any kind of nuisance. (The noisy 727's are now mostly a thing of the past!)

Old 11-16-2012, 11:14 PM

623 posts, read 1,611,879 times
I think the flight path is such that the only area that really gets real, noticeable airline noise is right in the I-84 corridor near the airport. I know that in the Vista/I-84 parts of the bench, Columbia Village, and the south Boise areas right around Overland road west to about Maple Grove do get some airplane noise, but it's all the kind of noise that if you live there, you get used to pretty quickly. I don't think of the Amity/Cloverdale/Victory area as having noticeable airplane noise at all--these are quiet areas.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:39 PM

278 posts, read 905,920 times
The Maple Grove/Lake Hazel area is pretty quiet most of the time. There are occasional military training maneuvers that can cause some noticeable noise but it is infrequent (once every month or two) and mostly limited to the daytime. In my opinion, the air noise is not a problem in this area.

The noise around the Maple Grove/Overland is much more significant as that area is right underneath the flight path. F-15s and A-10s come over low and loud on a regular basis. I would personally avoid that area for that reason.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,690 times
We're looking to move to Meridian in or near the Packard Estates area. Does anyone know if there is noise from airplane traffic in this area?

Old 02-12-2018, 07:36 PM

48 posts, read 67,056 times
We live about 10 minutes from the airport & can see the planes coming & going from our front door. I never hear the commercial planes, only the military jets when they are training.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:28 AM

2 posts, read 4,900 times
I'm in the lovely Hazelwood Village (Lake Hazel/5 Mile) and only hear the military jets every once in awhile, but not loud enough to have to turn up the TV. It was more noticeable when we first moved here 2 years ago and now I barely notice them at all.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:17 AM

347 posts, read 401,801 times
I live in the highlands and still hear noise now and then. Small town.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:53 PM

661 posts, read 832,116 times
Boise airport gets like one flight a day coming in and its from Las Vegas probably just a 10-20 seater at best.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:38 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,462,930 times
The flight patterns have changed a lot over the last 10 years. I'm in West Boise, North of the mall, and I never used to hear airplane noise, except for an occasional life flight or something. These days, I hear a plane loudly enough to lightly rattle the windows at least 3 times a day.

I think as the city has expanded, they've had to change their approach/takeoff vectors for a number of flights, leading to airplane noise over a larger area. Packard Estates is far enough away I wouldn't guess you would have much if any, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area