Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 11:47 PM

94 posts, read 182,780 times

Advertisements

Greetings Boise
I've posted here before about a year or 2 ago, & the general consensus was wait until you have a job offer before coming.

However now I don't have that option. My position ends Christmas week. I wouldn't be coming to Boise until summer, where I'll probably be coming from Portland. Too many reasons to list why I want to leave OR, & I need more sunshine
For the record I love Boise, & have been waiting for the economy to improve for employment reasons hehe. Really like the atmosphere, the prettiness of the Treasure Valley, & the lifestyle there.

As far as the economy & unemployment rate falling, would Boise be a good choice to come to this upcoming summer?
Thanks for your input, & great day

Last edited by jj85; 11-19-2012 at 12:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 06:44 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
I would still try to have something lined up before you get here or at least start working on a network of contacts. Really loved living in Boise, had a decent network of people helping me get interviews, a good looking resume and after 5 months of job searching had to leave town. Could not find a single job. Moved to Phoenix and had 3 job offers within 3 weeks of moving there.

Good luck on the move, but do whatever you can to have a job waiting for you when you get here. Boise is a great place to live, but a lousy place to find work.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:10 PM

283 posts, read 508,272 times
The job market in Boise is dismal, to say the least. Unless you can get by on a service-type job that pays $18K a year. If you need to make 30K or so, I implore you not to come her "cold." Boise has not yet fully recovered from the 2008 economic meltdown.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:49 AM

Thanks for the recommendations, really helps. I really really really like Boise, but think I'll wait another couple years. The economy in Boise is much better than it is here from what I can tell on this site & local news

Old 11-22-2012, 07:55 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
The opposite view is that once you are here and actually are residing here, your odds go up. Atleast compared to those who are looking for jobs from outside the state.

As for June, my favorite month of the year in Boise. Everything is still green from the winter, and the temps are rapidly warming. However, this is a short-term effect most years. By August, everything turns brown and temps can be uncomfortable hot, albeit without the humidity.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:32 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
The opposite view is that once you are here and actually are residing here, your odds go up. Atleast compared to those who are looking for jobs from outside the state.

As for June, my favorite month of the year in Boise. Everything is still green from the winter, and the temps are rapidly warming. However, this is a short-term effect most years. By August, everything turns brown and temps can be uncomfortable hot, albeit without the humidity.
Boise is green right up until the leaves fall. The Foothills change colors with the seasons, they are green in the spring and early summer and gradually dry and turn brown as summer progresses and are beautiful any time of the year. The evergreen forests up on top kind of crown the whole effect.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:18 AM

I think I'm still going to visit Boise next year. I'm planning on leaving OR in June so that if I don't get any job offers in June/July I can leave wherever in August.

And the foothills look awesome, they look/feel very warm & comforting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area