U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 10:02 PM

791 posts, read 866,229 times

Advertisements

I'm recently retired, and my wife is self-employed. We've been on the OR coast for 20 years and are looking at Boise. Read through all 6 pages and seems like a very nice area. And our area is WAY too liberal, un-cultured, and economically depressed. The election last month has sped up our desire for a change. Also very expensive here. We've been looking at Bend, Prescott and Reno, as well, for comparison.
Certainly not a great concern, but the issue of Boise's air quality and winter inversions I read caught my attention. In the 80's, we lived in a strong agricultural area in central WA, where lots of pesticides in the air led to abnormally high cases of leukemia, etc. Is this an issue, since Boise appears to be downwind from large agricultural areas? Not a deal breaker; just curious. In fact, we are planning a get-to-know trip this spring.
Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 10:07 PM

15 posts, read 36,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
I'm recently retired, and my wife is self-employed. We've been on the OR coast for 20 years and are looking at Boise. Read through all 6 pages and seems like a very nice area. And our area is WAY too liberal, un-cultured, and economically depressed. The election last month has sped up our desire for a change. Also very expensive here. We've been looking at Bend, Prescott and Reno, as well, for comparison.
Certainly not a great concern, but the issue of Boise's air quality and winter inversions I read caught my attention. In the 80's, we lived in a strong agricultural area in central WA, where lots of pesticides in the air led to abnormally high cases of leukemia, etc. Is this an issue, since Boise appears to be downwind from large agricultural areas? Not a deal breaker; just curious. In fact, we are planning a get-to-know trip this spring.
Thanks in advance.
Boise is downwind from lots of agriculture. You are correct on that. Many people have bemoaned the fact that we get this inversion in the winter time. While I haven't lived here very long (3 and a half years), I haven't noticed it, and certainly haven't had any problems with it. But that's just my humble opinion.
Hope your visit this spring is enjoyable!

Old 12-16-2012, 07:11 AM

71 posts, read 73,894 times
You would have to go to California or Oregon by the Ocean for beach. Idaho is inland not on the coast.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Lee View Post
You would have to go to California or Oregon by the Ocean for beach. Idaho is inland not on the coast.
Oh, OK. But just how far inland is Boise?
(I think you may have seriously mis-read my post, Sara, but thanks for replying anyway.)

Last edited by wolfdog; 12-16-2012 at 11:51 PM..

Old 12-17-2012, 08:18 AM

8 posts, read 21,710 times
Boise is surrounded by agriculture, but I haven't heard of pesticides being an issue for air quality (or causing cancer/leukemia) in the treasure valley (where Boise is). Mostly, I think it is just a function of the valley trapping pollution and particulates when the weather is cold. It sort-of feeds on itself in the winter where the cold, polluted air gets trapped in the valley. IMO it can get pretty bad some winters. There can be burn bans and it can stretch on for weeks. It can turn the weather into a string of very grey days. This summer, the air was bad because of all the fires in the northwest, we were even getting smoke from fires in Oregon and Washington (as well as our own Idaho fires) coming into the valley. But, that doesn't happen every year, usually summers are mostly blue sky and sunshine.

All that said, the air quality index (even this summer with all the smoke) usually doesn't get into the red or dangerous category.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:16 PM

Thank you for your informative responses. Looking forward to our visit this spring. Went to a Christmas party last night and spoke with a woman who was raised in Boise. Nothing but high praise for the area. Saw Paul Revere and the Raiders on Sat. He said he turns 75 next month(amazing) and spoke about his upbringing on a potato farm in the Boise area.
Wife asked me to Google for a Nordstrom in the Boise area. Told her they have a Rack, along with a couple of Chick-fil-A's(she's a Southerner). She's happy. LOL

Old 12-17-2012, 07:41 PM

156 posts, read 245,809 times
Chick-fil-a ROCKS! I am from CFA country and have done business with the Cathy's for years. I was very glad to hear that Boise has a CFA. I just wonder if they use the same sweet tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>