Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 10:20 AM

674 posts, read 1,459,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
Does all that crud and gunk cover your car? Seriously. Particulates that everyone breathes in?
Not really. It's more the stuff from the road that gets on your car.

Smoke from the summer fire season gets on your car, but that's usually only every 4-7 years.

Breathing here can be tricky. We get a lot of poor air quality days and some burn bans... but the particulates are different than, say, Oregon... which usually rates higher on allergy counts.

My problem is more with cracked skin because of the dryness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 12:01 PM

17 posts, read 64,867 times
How's the wind in/near Boise?

Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSniper View Post
How's the wind in/near Boise?
It always gets windy in Boise during the spring but not very noticeable the rest of the year, with a few exceptions. It can get worse outside of town depending on the direction you go.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:47 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,127 times
The wind in Boise is great (non existent) compared to the rest of Southern Idaho (I'm looking at you, Twin Falls).

Old 01-03-2013, 02:52 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Yeah, we get an occasional windy day, but I don't really consider it a factor, especially compared to Idaho Falls or Logan, UT, where the wind blows all morning one direction, and all afternoon the other direction, but it is always blowing.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:21 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Yeah, we get an occasional windy day, but I don't really consider it a factor, especially compared to Idaho Falls or Logan, UT, where the wind blows all morning one direction, and all afternoon the other direction, but it is always blowing.
Idaho Falls can be windy, but it isn't even close to the top windiest cities. (Today was cold, about 12 for the high, but calm).

//www.city-data.com/top2/c467.html

Old 01-04-2013, 07:56 AM

863 posts, read 2,993,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
It always gets windy in Boise during the spring but not very noticeable the rest of the year, with a few exceptions. It can get worse outside of town depending on the direction you go.
As far as the wind IN Boise, it "can" get pretty windy all over and out by Micron on a regular basis. Spring winds and late summer storms as the seasons start to change are usually the worst times. Late summer windstorms can hit all over. They have been known to uproot trees, fall branches and pull off roof shingles. The occasional microbursts move trampolines and have ripped open tents at the fair. They are infrequent, but they DO happen in most if not all of the outer areas.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:52 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Idaho Falls can be windy, but it isn't even close to the top windiest cities. (Today was cold, about 12 for the high, but calm).

//www.city-data.com/top2/c467.html
Sorry, I wasn't saying it was a super windy city compared to the rest of the country, just compared to the rest of this this part of the country. I see on your list that nowhere in the entire Pacific Northwest made the list at all (of course the list was only of cities with populations higher than 50k, and this part of the country doesn't have terribly many of those in the first place).

Anyway, my family all originates from Idaho Falls on both sides, and I just know that pretty much every time I've ever been there to visit (which is quite a few times), the wind has been blowing. It wasn't that it was super hard wind, just very consistantly breezy.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 PM

861 posts, read 1,062,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Sorry, I wasn't saying it was a super windy city compared to the rest of the country, just compared to the rest of this this part of the country. I see on your list that nowhere in the entire Pacific Northwest made the list at all (of course the list was only of cities with populations higher than 50k, and this part of the country doesn't have terribly many of those in the first place).

Anyway, my family all originates from Idaho Falls on both sides, and I just know that pretty much every time I've ever been there to visit (which is quite a few times), the wind has been blowing. It wasn't that it was super hard wind, just very consistantly breezy.
This is one of the reasons we've ruled out Reno. I did a Google on wind direction for Boise. Chart showed, on a general month-by-month basis, that winds come out of the NW, April-July, and out of the SE the rest of the year. Does that sound right?

Old 01-05-2013, 07:31 PM

863 posts, read 2,993,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
This is one of the reasons we've ruled out Reno. I did a Google on wind direction for Boise. Chart showed, on a general month-by-month basis, that winds come out of the NW, April-July, and out of the SE the rest of the year. Does that sound right?
Yes, cold vs. warm. And per the news, much of the valley smoke last summer was from Eastern Oregon an N Cali.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area