Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 PM

57 posts, read 116,413 times

Advertisements

I've been here almost a whole month (yippee!) after a move from Ohio - 2,000 miles away. Both my husband and I were born and raised in Columbus and never lived anywhere else for 30 years. Everything we know and love is there, so I totally understand the resistance to moving from your situation. We don't have kids but we also didn't know a single person when we arrived. Cost of living wasn't an issue for us in Ohio but we're also still trying to sell our house while paying rent here in Boise, so the double mortgage situation kind of sucks. But I digress.

So far I have ZERO regrets. I'm thrilled with this city and it's people, and I love learning more about it every day. Housing is very affordable, the city is clean and easy to navigate, and when the inversion lifts this place is absolutely gorgeous. I miss my family a lot but I honestly don't see us heading back to Ohio any time soon.

I guess my suggestion is: get a job first (this is very important) and give it a try! You can always move back if it doesn't work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 01:52 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,396,520 times
Heh, some people (like my wife) are stressed about leaving family behind to move to Boise. For me, however, I am escaping all the in-laws just as they have begun to gravitate to where we live. Four hours away from them sounds pretty good to me, heh.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:18 PM

284 posts, read 607,772 times
We've been here since Thanksgiving. Just me, my husband and our dog. We left our families back in Nauvoo, Alabama and Naples, Florida. Well over 2k miles away. So far we've loved it. It's so easy to stay in touch now with Skype, FaceTime and FaceBook, those things have made it much easier on us and them.

We are renting right now and probably will for a year or so, maybe even three. We want to make sure where we want to buy out here and make sure we really want to stay after the initial 3 years that we HAVE to be here because of my husband's job.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:29 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,647,255 times
Default Idaho vs Southern Calif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamea33 View Post
We live in Southern CA. We are getting ready to buy our first home and have been searching, but we aren't in love with any of the neighborhoods near us and we are definitely NOT in love with the pricing. We have been researching Boise for months now and would love to be there with our two kids. But my family lives in Southern California and my husband's family lives on the Central Coast, so everyone is within 4 hours of us while we are here. We are really hesitant to move the kids away from all of their relatives.

Has anyone else made this kind of move and have any experiences to offer? I'm worried we'll end up buying a tiny house here for $400k and always wish we moved there. Or we will buy there and wish we were closer to family...
Mama, you've got a tough choice--and no one else can make it for you. I'm personally looking forward to moving to Idaho in a year or so, and all our family is in Alabama, Kentucky, Ohio, or Colorado. But we've been movers all our lives.

Here is part of a post from Michellewheatley on the Idaho Falls thread about relocating to Idaho Falls. She loves IF, but-----

Coming from California everything is quite a bit cheaper. Our car insurance is about 100 less a month and our vehicle registration is only $36 for one year. The only reason we are considering moving back is we have young children and no real support system out here. I actually thought once we moved here more of our family would follow but that's just not realistic at this point, otherwise I would not even consider leaving!

Best wishes on your decision.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:51 AM

46 posts, read 134,195 times
As someone who initially lived 600 miles away from family, then 5,500 miles away in Europe for several years, I can say that if you've close relationship at all to your family, don't do it. I love Boise--even encourage others to live here--and we'll stay here, but it is very hard to live in any place that you have no relatives to depend on. People here have been helpful, but the reality is that we couldn't afford to visit our relatives for the holidays this last year, and they couldn't afford to visit us. Not fun, and we don't even have kids.

And as someone who was raised with little contact with my grandparents/extended family, if you have a good family relationship, don't separate your kids from family. As nice as Boise is, it's not worth homeownership if it means your kids rarely see their grandparents/relatives. I can't tell you how many relatives said they'd visit us over the years and were unable for various reasons.

+1 to making sure you have employment here first, too.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:51 PM

33 posts, read 76,660 times
I will be moving to Boise away from my family as well.. I will be living near my in laws but to me its not the same. My family and I are very close my dad lives 1.5 miles from me and my mom an hour away but comes up multiple times a month. I also have a grandma who I am close with and she even picks up my oldest from pre-k a couple times a month. It will be hard but I need to go with a positive look I plan on visiting as often as I can and my family will come here too. we will also chat on webcam often. Also we will be moving from Wisconsin so its quite a ways.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:46 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,808,461 times
Keep in mind Boise can feel very isolated (and it is when you think about it) and plane fares are quite expensive because it isn't a major airport.

IMO, anyone who has children and a close family relationship really shouldn't give that up.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:47 AM

863 posts, read 2,981,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Keep in mind Boise can feel very isolated (and it is when you think about it) and plane fares are quite expensive because it isn't a major airport.

IMO, anyone who has children and a close family relationship really shouldn't give that up.
I have several friends who moved here (for jobs) leaving family in other areas, some across the country. Keeping relationships up can be difficut because of the time and expense to visit with your entire whole family. One friend recently said that it was fine and they didn't think much about it when her children were young. Now that the parents are older and needing care and recently passing, the distance issue can be come a big one.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:12 PM

151 posts, read 457,808 times
I know jobs are a priority for people since you can't live anywhere without income; however, north Idaho from what I've read on this forum for years is one of the few paradises left in this country. I think if people were simply satisfied with smaller homes, less expensive vehicles, and just cutting back in general, we would be able to tolerate a lower paying job for the benefit of living in a beautiful area. I would move there in a heartbeat, but my mother needs me now more than ever. It will be two years this month since my father passed, so I wouldn't leave her, but I don't plan on living in Chicago the rest of my life. I'm not bashing anyone on this post. I am just saying that we shouldn't make every decision in life based on a simple 9-5 job.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:15 PM

30 posts, read 63,408 times
OP here. All of your comments have been so great to read, so helpful. Thank you. We have decided to stay in the area to raise our kids close to our families. It means moving to a city where my husband's commute will be longer, but we are hoping to buy a home there and will stay within driving distance of everyone. It's worth it, I think, and eventually we can spend more time traveling to the places we have dreamed of moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: