Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 03:58 PM

33 posts, read 107,973 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move to Idaho early next year and are starting to look at houses in the Boise area. Before I start narrowing down a town to move to, I want to be sure that our pets will be welcome. We have a pit bull, German shepherd, and a Boston terrier. We are looking to buy a house with some acreage (4+) so we will more than likely be surrounded by farm land. I have read that Fruitland and Payette County have bans on pits, and a few others have restrictions about vicious dogs (I'm not worried about the latter because my dogs are wimps and run away at the first sign of trouble ). Can anyone confirm this or know of any other counties/cities that have bans on the pit breed?

Also, aside from bans, is there a common consensus among farmers about pit bulls? Although I know my dogs will spend most of their time in my home or by my side while in our yard, I don't want to live in an area where people think ill of me or my animals just because of their breed.

Thanks in advance for your comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 04:28 PM

129 posts, read 371,527 times
I'm not sure about the banning of dog breeds but I am sure you can contact local humane societies / pet enforcement and ask them. Since moving here 4 years ago from Hawaii where pit bulls are everywhere, I honestly don't see that many here at all. Occasionally in Canyon County (Nampa or Caldwell) I might see some but the norm around here are hunting dogs (labs, bird dogs, etc).

Old 01-24-2013, 04:41 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
I think that if you were looking at renting, or buying a home in a subdivision with an HOA, you would almost certainly have a problem. But buying a piece of ground with acreage, my guess is that you would be fine. On the other hand, I hadn't heard that there were counties in Idaho that had banned pits, so maybe there are rules in place I haven't heard about. I second the advice to call either local code enforcement or a shelter and ask them, they would know.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:28 PM

29 posts, read 100,067 times
My son volunteers at the Humane Society and has seen pit bulls for adoption. I also know there is at least one pit bull rescue (Boise Bully Breed Rescue) in Boise, so, that leads me to believe they are allowed.

In addition to the great point about the HOA's policy, homeowner's insurance might also be an issue. I moved here with my pit bull about two years ago. My subdivision is an older one and there is no HOA, so, I had no problem with that. However, when it was time to renew my homeowner's insurance, an inspector visited the property, saw my dog, and I was promptly told that my policy would not be renewed. I explained that my dog was 12 (at the time) and due to bad legs stayed in the house and backyard almost exclusively. No deal. His breed was listed as 'dangerous' and that was that. After a lot of looking I was able to find a company that would insure me. If you run into this issue, too, let me know and I will provide the company name (and agent's name if you need it). Good luck.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 AM

993 posts, read 3,252,843 times
I would be concerned with Liability insurance.

I know now that they ask in some places what kind of dog you have .

Old 01-25-2013, 10:30 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestonesniper View Post
We are planning a move to Idaho early next year and are starting to look at houses in the Boise area. Before I start narrowing down a town to move to, I want to be sure that our pets will be welcome. We have a pit bull, German shepherd, and a Boston terrier. We are looking to buy a house with some acreage (4+) so we will more than likely be surrounded by farm land. I have read that Fruitland and Payette County have bans on pits, and a few others have restrictions about vicious dogs (I'm not worried about the latter because my dogs are wimps and run away at the first sign of trouble ). Can anyone confirm this or know of any other counties/cities that have bans on the pit breed?

Also, aside from bans, is there a common consensus among farmers about pit bulls? Although I know my dogs will spend most of their time in my home or by my side while in our yard, I don't want to live in an area where people think ill of me or my animals just because of their breed.

Thanks in advance for your comments!
I don't know if there is a common census among farmers, but many farmers distrust pit bulls. They have a bad reputation for running livestock.

Of course, and mid-sized to large dog can (and will) run livestock, and loose dogs will pack together. Packs can do serious damage or kill livestock. There are always some farmers who will shoot a stray who's out chasing the livestock, and more will shoot at a pack.

Given the pit bull's reputation, I'm not sure a neighbor will be willing to learn if your dog is wimpy or not if he strays. The same may be as true with your German shepherd, but the Boston most likely wouldn't be hurt.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 PM

33 posts, read 107,973 times
Thanks or the info everyone!

I figured home insurance would be an issue, as it is where we are now, so I will definitely contact you mo2010 if I need the name of your agent. Thanks for the help!

I understand there is a risk of them getting shot if they harass the livestock, which is sad but understandable. We will work on getting the dogs some training around farm animals so that they stay calm if they are ever in that situation. And of course, we will for sure have the entire property fenced off.

Still waiting to hear back from the shelter about bans in the area, I'll post what I learn in case any one else has the same question.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 12,633 times
Smile County Dog rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestonesniper View Post
Thanks or the info everyone!

I figured home insurance would be an issue, as it is where we are now, so I will definitely contact you mo2010 if I need the name of your agent. Thanks for the help!

I understand there is a risk of them getting shot if they harass the livestock, which is sad but understandable. We will work on getting the dogs some training around farm animals so that they stay calm if they are ever in that situation. And of course, we will for sure have the entire property fenced off.

Still waiting to hear back from the shelter about bans in the area, I'll post what I learn in case any one else has the same question.
I found a site called dogbite.org. I found that Payette and Fruitland ban pit bulls. That I find weird since I have a man down the road who walks one everyday and I live in Fruitland. I think there is a way around the ban but its costly. Alot of places around this area will also not rent to those with what are considered dangerous breeds. I have a German Shepard / rotti cross and they would not let us rent in a lot of cases. She 12 years old, arthritic, and loving but because of her breed they say no. Hope this helps. Idaho is a great place to live and if you find a private home in the country area of Fruitland where you are not in city limits you might be able too. Be careful though about cattle, cause as it was said before some ranchers will shot first. That and ticks, my dog got out a while ago and came home COVERED in them. It took 3 days to find and remove them all.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 10,679 times
If there are pit bull bans in place, why not just respect that and look elsewhere? Obviously the majority of the people in the area do not want these dangerous animals in their neighborhoods, hence the ban. Instead of moving to a place like this and trying to force your views and your animals on people, just move to a place where pit bulls are welcome.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:42 PM

7 posts, read 23,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arowolf View Post
I found a site called dogbite.org. I found that Payette and Fruitland ban pit bulls. That I find weird since I have a man down the road who walks one everyday and I live in Fruitland. I think there is a way around the ban but its costly. Alot of places around this area will also not rent to those with what are considered dangerous breeds. I have a German Shepard / rotti cross and they would not let us rent in a lot of cases. She 12 years old, arthritic, and loving but because of her breed they say no. Hope this helps. Idaho is a great place to live and if you find a private home in the country area of Fruitland where you are not in city limits you might be able too. Be careful though about cattle, cause as it was said before some ranchers will shot first. That and ticks, my dog got out a while ago and came home COVERED in them. It took 3 days to find and remove them all.
Hi! I also came upon that website a year ago and was really upset about it (for multiple reasons) because, I too, would love to move to Idaho with my dogs (one is a Pit...also a loving wimp ) and it made me sad that such ignorance to a particular breed was causing this discrimination (knowing that it is the owner at fault for negligence, and not knowing how to train their dog or take responsibility to take them to obedience classes to avoid bad behavior that any dog could be capable of...including the family-friendly Lab...) ANYWAYS!
So, while visiting family in Jerome (on that list), I tagged along to their vet appointment and confirmed with the Dr. that there is no such law banning this breed and he has several Pit patients...so I don't know if this site is valid or out of date but make sure to do some research yourself by calling around. I agree with the others to contact to local Humane Society and find out...I hope this helps a little! ...sorry about the rant...I get a little irritated with "those" people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area