Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 11:40 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,354,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside Dan View Post
I live in Eagle and I have met a TON of Mormons. I have also met a TON of Catholics, and a TON of Protestants. Overall, Boise is pretty religious. However, the people here seem to walk the walk and talk the talk as opposed to where we are from in Georgia. The LDS people I have met all seem to be extremely nice and I haven't been asked to go to church with them yet. Maybe its the beard and visible tattoos, I dunno, but they sure haven't been as judgmental as the Baptists in GA are. (47 years there so, yes, I can have an opinion).

And for the record, I am a devout Catholic, not a Mormon.
Yup. Idaho has always been a live-and-let-live place.
We are sociable because there are so few of us. It's always nice to have someone new to talk to once in a while.

Much of our friendliness comes from living a life surrounded by wilderness. We chat because it makes a friend, and having a friend around to help dig out after your car slides off the road in a blizzard is a good thing to have.

We just pay it forward. It's not out of love for humankind, necessarily. It's from the knowledge that My Turn Is Coming. You don't want to be in trouble out here with no one around but hostile neighbors who live miles away.

It's our way of life. It is so old that it's become habitual. Even in good times, our socialability allows us to pass the time while waiting in line, or entering a room full of strangers, or stopping for refreshment in a town where you know no one.

It does require patience to practice, but patience is a big part of life here in all things, so the practice is easy.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:01 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,897,704 times
Yes, LDS are generally relaxed, where as Baptists and Evangelicals are in your face.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:31 PM

731 posts, read 958,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Yes, LDS are generally relaxed, where as Baptists and Evangelicals are in your face.
Hey now! I was raised Baptist and have never, ever been "in your face" about religion to anyone. :-)

Old 02-26-2018, 10:45 PM

164 posts, read 227,643 times
Thanks for your comment. One can do all the research you want, but actually being in a location is the best way to judge the area. We should have rented, that was a big mistake.

And you are also right, seven months may not be long enough.

We are protestants so have tried Eagle Christian Church which we liked, and recently Ustick Baptist Church which we also liked. Not sure we love either but they will do until we find something more suited for us.

DH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenfan View Post
Humeston, some of your comments have left me a bit confused. You took a fair amount of time here to do research about the area. If finding a neighborhood of people with similar faith and a more moderate political/social stance was important to you, surely you must have had some inkling that West Boise/Meridian had a solid chance of not being a good fit for you.

I don't deny the existence of "surface friendliness." I experienced it myself in some factions, although it didn't foster any negative personal perceptions about the area. But I wouldn't paint some sort of broad brush about the area after seven months. That's not a long time to find your niche. It's a big valley with disparate areas and different vibes. You still need to lock into what area and what clique works best with your ideologies. And that requires time and effort to reach out. May I ask what church you visited over the weekend and how it went?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area