Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 04:50 PM

229 posts, read 565,207 times

Advertisements

My family is considering a relocation and we've narrowed it down to Utah or the Boise area of Idaho. As for myself, I'm sold on Boise. Research indicates that it has everything to meet my lifestyle (hiking, outdoors, etc) Here's the problem - my dad is a world renowned musician. Unfortunately, I don't feel comfortable putting his name here because if I do, it will travel throughout the music industry very quickly. As he is in his sixties now, he has curtailed all travel, however, his biggest concern is being able to perform as a soloist (cocktail jazz, nice listening music) perhaps three or four nights per week in a first class restaurant, hotel lobby, winery etc. Fact of the matter is his name would be a significant attraction for any hotel lobby lounge as he has a huge international following. After looking at the maps, and after everything I've researched about Boise, he is under the impression that it's a "hayseed" type of place. Can anyone give me some straight talk as to the reality of music availability in Boise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 05:47 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,007 times
There are a lot of places in Boise, mainly downtown that have live jazz, blues and indie/alternative performers. The live and local music scene here is actually exploding right now and a fab and large music fest took place all over downtown last weekend. Last year Boise was ranked as having one of the best and growing music scenes in the world by The Atlantic. This ranking came out during last years SXSW.

A few hotel bars that come to mind that I like to listen to live jazz at is Chandlers and the Gamekeeper Lounge.

Gene Harris lived and died here. That should answer your question.

Gene Harris Jazz Festival

Old 03-27-2013, 06:38 PM

229 posts, read 565,207 times
When I told my dad about your response, his eyes lit up when I mentioned Gene Harris as that is not a household name outside of the jazz business. Is the jazz festival an isolated event, or is there an actual ongoing and thriving music scene there? The reality is he doesn't need any to play for a living, he just likes to play a few nights a week. He would be an asset for any quality restaurant or lobby lounge. If I could convince him that he would be able to play up there, I'm sure he'd be receptive to relocating up there. Are you a musician TohobitPeak?

Old 03-27-2013, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,759 times
Send me a private message. I'm moving to Boise over the summer and will be VERY involved in the jazz scene there.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:33 AM

53 posts, read 145,504 times
Just wanted to chime in and say that I am a Huge jazz fan (many great eves spent at Jazz Alley in Seattle when I lived there...). Would be psyched for more jazz musicians in Boise!

Old 03-28-2013, 03:19 AM

229 posts, read 706,759 times
Curtis Stigers also resides in Boise.

Chandlers is the most visible jazz option and is constantly booked, although admittedly it's the same people that get rotated frequently. Dan Costello is the musical director and is the one to get in touch with (the contact email is at Contact | Chandlers Steakhouse & Seafood - Fine Dining in Boise, Idaho). The last time I checked, the Gamekeeper Lounge had been steering away from jazz and focusing more on acoustic folk and stuff like that. But that was awhile back and I've been out of the loop recently. It's best to chat with someone there about it. It's more of a subdued, moody setting than Chandlers. The wildcard here is the Riverside Hotel, who have been trying to establish a musical presence in town. They hired the prior music director of Chandlers but he didn't last long there. They'd probably be thrilled to get a leg up on Chandlers and acquire a top-name act. But while Chandlers and the Gamekeeper are smack dab in the middle of downtown, the Riverside is a mile or two away from it in an off-downtown area that's kinda blah to me in case that's an issue. Not horrible but just kinda drab outside of the hotel's immediate surroundings and not a prime source of walk-in traffic unless you can cajole people to come in off of the Greenbelt that runs along the Boise River.

This page and the people running it might be of some help too: Home Page

Old 11-19-2014, 12:42 AM

8 posts, read 28,847 times
Default Jazzylady

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtob View Post
Send me a private message. I'm moving to Boise over the summer and will be VERY involved in the jazz scene there.
Did you move to Boise and is there a jazz scene ? I am a singer and thinking of relocating to Boise but I need to be around an active and vibrant jazz scene. I would be anxious to hear your opinion about the music scene and if you are enjoying the life style there. Are you a musician and if so what instrument do you play? Thanks..

Old 11-19-2014, 09:00 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Eichner View Post
Did you move to Boise and is there a jazz scene ? I am a singer and thinking of relocating to Boise but I need to be around an active and vibrant jazz scene. I would be anxious to hear your opinion about the music scene and if you are enjoying the life style there. Are you a musician and if so what instrument do you play? Thanks..
There is a jazz scene. Here is some info: Boise Jazz Society - Boise Jazz Society

Gene Harris Jazz Festival

The Riverside Hotel Music | The Sapphire Room Concert Schedule, The Riverside Hotel, Boise | The Riverside Hotel Music Calendar

When I Googled, there was more info as well.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:24 PM

8 posts, read 28,847 times
Default Jazzylady

Did your dad ever decide whether to go to Boise or not? I am moving from the The Bay Area and Boise is on my short list. I am a singer of blues and jazz and need to be around an active jazz scene. I sure hope your dad decided to go there because I m leaving an area with many great jazz musicians. I would love to hear where you all decided to go..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area