Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 02:37 PM

3 posts, read 11,830 times

Advertisements

This has been a very informative thread as I use the internet quite heavily. Not sure if I approach the 300gb limit or not. However in some of my research I ran across this company: Wireless Internet Service Provider, Boise, Idaho. We do TV too. . Has anyone dealt with them? I'm guessing they use Century-link's wiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 03:42 PM

17 posts, read 142,593 times
Thanks DB, it looks like I am moving into the back of beyond, and that company (A+ wireless) is able to provide me a PTP wireless connection even in solid cow country for a decent price (59.95 /month for 6 meg down 1 meg up, though they do QOS stuff so HD streaming is not a possibility (they limit it to SD) however, no traffic shaping for downloads so as long as I download my tv/movies THEN watch them it's all good. I'd prefer cable one but suspect they want me to pay several thousand dollars to have them bring the cable to me. So db thanks, you rescued my afternoon.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:50 PM

Your welcome. Looks like I'm back to cable one or century link... Wish Westel was in more locations

Old 01-09-2014, 02:40 PM

54 posts, read 104,308 times
I read the thread and will be moving your way when everything comes together. What do you recommend for someone who knows nothing at all about watts or gbs or any of the technical things. I am a home user who spends a lot of time on the net. Don't play games but do watch TV shows over the net. Any suggestions sure will be appreciated.

Thanks
Binkus

Old 01-09-2014, 03:02 PM

719 posts, read 1,567,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkus View Post
I read the thread and will be moving your way when everything comes together. What do you recommend for someone who knows nothing at all about watts or gbs or any of the technical things. I am a home user who spends a lot of time on the net. Don't play games but do watch TV shows over the net. Any suggestions sure will be appreciated.

Thanks
Binkus
I'd wait and see. If you end up in a neighborhood where you can get Westel Fiber, use them. Cheaper, fast speeds, great service and locally owned. It's only available in limited neighborhoods, though - mostly newer and somewhat upper-end (the whole neighborhood will be wired with fiber optic lines). If you aren't sure, call them and ask.

If Westel isn't available, I'd probably just call CenturyLink - I think they're cheaper than Cable One.

I used to have Westel but moved out of that neighborhood and I have CenturyLink now. Both work fine, but Westel was cheaper and local. I think the CenturyLink plan we have is middle of the road in terms of speed level, and it's fast enough to stream HDTV without any hiccups and accommodate all the various devices we have tied into our home network.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:48 PM

17 posts, read 142,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkus View Post

Thanks
Binkus
Unless you're going into a subdivision (pile of lumber left in the ground, add water, instant houses) you will be limited to Century link or cable one. There are pros and cons of both. In the boise area proper CL *might* be the better option if you're not opposed to contracts (I think they require a 1 yr agreement, but you can drop them if the first month's service isn't what you were expecting.) Outside Boise, CL speeds drop dramatically where I wouldn't opt for them even at $20/month. Check the deals when you move and decide accordingly. At the moment CO offers new subscribers to internet a 35/month plan (for the first 3 months, then $50 a month) with no contract and no requirement to have cable tv. If you do have cable tv, then CO base internet (50mb down, 2 up) is $33/month in bundle format again with no contract.

I should go on record that I flat out don't trust century link so am biased against them, but that is from previous experiences with them and perhaps they're more honest now about what is promised vs what you'll get. Fiber is generally the best option if it's available, however around here it really isn't for the vast majority of people.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:35 PM

54 posts, read 104,308 times
Thanks! Wish I understood more about the technical end my old brain just does seem grasp it any longer. Good advice about waiting. I just want to have some about idea the direction I should go.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:06 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaD View Post
I'd wait and see. If you end up in a neighborhood where you can get Westel Fiber, use them. Cheaper, fast speeds, great service and locally owned. It's only available in limited neighborhoods, though - mostly newer and somewhat upper-end (the whole neighborhood will be wired with fiber optic lines). If you aren't sure, call them and ask.
It looks like they're only in these neighborhoods. Too bad, I'm stuck with CL where I live.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:16 PM

Sooo,

I'm back again. During my isp search I came across OneWave Networks. Has anyone heard of them or have any input about them?

Wish I could just get some fiber.........

Old 03-13-2014, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,956 times
never heard of OneWave, but from their description, they seem to be providing broadband using wireless, which I would avoid unless there are no other options. Low data caps, latency, stability, etc, are all issues that usually come with wireless broadband.
I live in a neighborhood that has Westel Fiber, but I use CL, since their 40/5 is $30 for a year with their promotional offer, and after a year, I just call them and renew for another year for $30-$35 a month (I know this works, since I did it a few months ago, and they had no problems with it). Westel wasn't able to compete with that pricing when I asked them about it. I wish Westel would offer 50/2 for $35, and 70/5 for $50.
I'd stay away from CableOne like the plague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area