Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 04:38 PM

125 posts, read 330,946 times

Advertisements

All I need is a Super Target and a dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 10:45 AM

46 posts, read 134,406 times
Default "An action plan on Trader Joe’s"

Article in today's Idaho Business Review.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:05 PM

674 posts, read 1,455,169 times
A better article about the missed opportunities of the TJ development.

Keep this in mind whenever some of you shop at TJs or Whole Foods. They're not as community friendly as y'all like to make them out to be.

The Rise and Fall of Capitol Boulevard - The Blue Review | The Blue Review

Old 09-20-2013, 10:31 PM

278 posts, read 903,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
A better article about the missed opportunities of the TJ development.

Keep this in mind whenever some of you shop at TJs or Whole Foods. They're not as community friendly as y'all like to make them out to be.

The Rise and Fall of Capitol Boulevard - The Blue Review | The Blue Review
Thanks for posting the article. There are lots of good issues in there that can be debated ad nauseum. My take:
  • Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, their associated developers, and others are just looking to build profitable stores. In a car-oriented place like Boise, it's really hard to do that without making it easy on cars and their drivers. In short, I don't blame them for pursuing a suburban concept. That particular intersection is kind of a strange place to do it though. The Winco and Whole Foods locations are much better for car access.
  • The city of Boise appears to lack the tools to demand the type of construction in the core area that it desires. Ultimately, that is a city of Boise problem.
  • The article seems to presume that Front St (and Capitol Blvd, for that matter) is some kind of proto-walkable area. That is preposterous, I think I'd rather walk/bike along Overland Rd than Front St. The Front/Myrtle corridor is a veritable dagger through the core city due to the high volume of traffic and high speed. The existing development there reflects that as well. A sidewalk cafe at Front and Capitol? I'd rather stay inside. Ultimately this is historical baggage from the decision 30 years ago to extend the connector to the edge of downtown.
  • ACHD and the City of Boise are completely at odds in a situation like this. More historical baggage from the city long ago losing control over its streets and highways.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:39 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,697,075 times
The Skyscraper forum has debated the pros and cons of this development and there's some good viewpoints in those threads and that forum tends to be pretty well thought out and rational vs other spots on the internet. I tend to agree with the idea that it's an under-utilization of the lot, however, it's better than the dirt lot that was there. There's a lot of space coming on-line in Boise over the next year and it's going to be tough to absorb it all. It's likely that dirt lot would've remained for years to come and there's plenty of other surface lots to be developed if the market is there. Plus, I think any sort of downtown grocery is a plus for the walk-ability and livability of the downtown, even if it is somewhat suburban in design.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:13 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,624,205 times
I'm surprised they wanted a store right smack in the middle of the downtown area. Most Trader Joe's stores are in the suburbs or outlying areas, so I was expecting a store somewhere on the west side near Boise Towne Square like the strip malls along Fairview or Benjamin.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:39 PM

229 posts, read 704,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
I'm surprised they wanted a store right smack in the middle of the downtown area. Most Trader Joe's stores are in the suburbs or outlying areas, so I was expecting a store somewhere on the west side near Boise Towne Square like the strip malls along Fairview or Benjamin.
In 2008 I briefly sat next to a TJ's rep on a flight from L.A. to Boise, and he told me that he had an office in Eagle as they looked for property. Later down the road, Eagle City Council did have the matter of TJ's on their agenda (of what they specifically discussed I don't recall). There was some eventual interest to be located at the recently built Chinden/Linder complex. So I was surprised they eventually opted for downtown as I was expecting something central to the valley based on their initial actions. I can't help but think we'd already have one here if things worked out in Eagle.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:22 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,624,205 times
I drive by the Fairview/Eagle intersection almost every day, and I was thinking the complex being built would be a good spot for a TJ's even before I found out they were building downtown.

The lot sat empty for a long time, but since they've started construction I've never seen a group of buildings go up so fast.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:03 PM

34 posts, read 60,314 times
My husband and I just returned from spending a week in Boise. Trader Joes is opening there, the site has been selected and a date announced for opening.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:13 PM

674 posts, read 1,455,169 times
Uh............?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area