Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 09:40 PM

150 posts, read 580,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenfan View Post
Funny that in L.A. I would consider Albertson's to be the cheapest major grocery chain there, certainly cheaper than Vons or Ralph's (i.e. the Fred Meyer of California). I wasn't happy when they bought up the Lucky chain (no one was), but their prices were still almost as cheap as Lucky's were.

WOW, what a shock upon moving to Boise. A complete reversal. I live a few blocks from the North End store but walk or drive to Winco instead. Going to Albertson's is like going to a convenience store for me-- you go there just to quickly pick up an item or two.

And for angryman: long story short. Trader Joe's looked at property here in early 2007, but they won't admit to opening any stores beyond their two-year plan of which we aren't in. Compounding the issue is that places like Spokane are believed to be ahead of us in terms of priority. I think they'll come here eventually, but it's going to take quite awhile. Two words: care package! My cheap wine substitute is Winco and my shrimp substitute is Costco.
This is true in Chicago area where I am from Jewell which is owned by Albertsons was more like the middle for prices and Dominicks was the most expensive and Aldi's and Omni (which is just like Winco) were the cheapest.

I never go to Albertson's unless I am just picking up something.

And I say yes to a Trader Joe's and Whole foods. Whole foods that I have been too are bigger than the Co-op and I think we can use a healthfood store in a easier location and more in the Meridian or by the mall.

Circuit City is vacant but I am sure the store is way too big!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 08:08 PM

9 posts, read 23,652 times
By the time you get everything you want, you'll have forgotten why you moved to the Boise area in the first place, it was different. Then after its been ruined by all the box stores and strip malls that make it look like EVERY OTHER CITY, you'll move to the next place you think is unique, different, quaint, and the cycle will start all over again. This has happened all over the Great Northwest and I've seen many good little towns get ruined in the wake. I'm not against progress, I just like small towns unique qualities to still shine, and box stores and strip malls really, really, dull a town.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:22 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregFromOregon View Post
By the time you get everything you want, you'll have forgotten why you moved to the Boise area in the first place, it was different. Then after its been ruined by all the box stores and strip malls that make it look like EVERY OTHER CITY, you'll move to the next place you think is unique, different, quaint, and the cycle will start all over again. This has happened all over the Great Northwest and I've seen many good little towns get ruined in the wake. I'm not against progress, I just like small towns unique qualities to still shine, and box stores and strip malls really, really, dull a town.
Agreed. But careful - you'll get labeled and chastised for this view!

It's amazing to me how shortsighted many people are. They flee to places like Idaho, Montana, and Utah (and a few decades ago Washington, Oregon, and Colorado) because they're escaping congestion, crime, traffic, cookie cutter development, and high housing prices. And they search for shorter commutes, more affordable housing, charm, quality of life, recreational opportunities, etc.

And then they complain that the places they moved to - those smaller, quaint, isolated places - don't have the services they had in their former homes. No box stores of every variety, no paved roads, no cell phone services, GASP! Hurry, quick, we must have these things!

And pretty soon there are no unique, special places left.

And in the sake of fairness, this cannot be in any significant way blamed on newcomers to an area - they are just one piece of this sordid puzzle. Plenty of blame to go around for everyone.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:01 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,373 times
Didn't anyone ever hear of Boise Coop? Give it a try. It's at least as good as Trader Joe's and the next best thing to Whole Foods.

Out east we have Fresh Market, which I have found better than Whole Foods and compareable to Boise Coop.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:49 PM

88 posts, read 327,465 times
I tried Boise Coop two days ago and, having shopped at WF in the past, here is my two cents...

1) Coop is a lot smaller than Whole Foods (about a 1/3 of the size compared to the WF stores I have been in). It is actually even smaller than the Sun Harvest we had in Texas (comparable to Trader Joes)
2) Despite its small size, it has a pretty good selection of everything grocery wise (cheeses, cereals, meats, herbs and spices, dairy, etc.) I found almost everything I was looking for that I would have been looking for in a WF anyway
3) It is HORRIBLY expensive. And I mean NYC prices!! I lived in NYC 8 years and it was like Fairways or Zabars on the UWS... shocking prices for Boise imho! In this economy they will find it hard to keep prices that high. i purchase 4 items and it came to $18!!! (bag of cookies, tea, cereal and a bag of pirates booty!).
4) The deli section is good (hubby got a delicious sandwich from there that he was so excited about he saved a piece for me to try it and it was great) but it you are looking for the incredible spread that WF puts on in terms of fresh delicious meals and baked goods you won't find that.

So, b/c I think WF will have lower prices and provide a larger selection I vote for a WF for Boise. I also think there is a demand for it as people here seem really interested in going organic and being healthy which I love! I think WF would do well to find a place on Eagle Road with all the other box stores. That way it won't detract from the Coop where I think they are doing a good job but just need to reduce prices a bit to make it more affordable.

Last edited by jfbd6805; 07-15-2009 at 10:23 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 10:50 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,370,882 times
I don't think Idaho has enough large metro areas that are close enough together to set up TJ stores there. Look at all the other places in the US that TJ has stores - all are in states with multiple large metro areas or close to other large metro areas in neighboring states. TJ is owned by German supermarket giant Aldi, which owns a chain of stores in the US midwest. Aldi follows a similar distribution pattern as TJ, relatively small stores in the outskirts of large and medium sized metro areas, in relative close proximity to other metro areas to make the distribution system cost effective.

I live in an area of CA with many TJ stores, but I don't go there very often. I do a lot of shopping at a small Persian owned neighborhood market nearby. Best quality and lowest priced fruits, veggies and other basic foods in the area. TJs has some good things, but I prefer to buy more local stuff. I've been to Boise area many times. I would bet that there are some good places to buy food products aside from the typical chain supermarket.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:26 PM

9 posts, read 23,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Agreed. But careful - you'll get labeled and chastised for this view!
Yup!
And pretty soon there are no unique, special places left.
100% correct sir
And in the sake of fairness, this cannot be in any significant way blamed on newcomers to an area - they are just one piece of this sordid puzzle. Plenty of blame to go around for everyone.
And I do understand this, as every kid in the neighborhood now has to have an iPod an iPhone or whatever else is the newest, latest,greatest, they do grow up and become adults and want what everyone else has right down the street. Guess I'm just old fashioned at 40yo, and just want the nice little town I grew up in, little crime, quiet, and not full of people that cut you off for a parking place so they can be the first to get the newest, latest, greatest.
Oh well, one can wish.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:03 AM

221 posts, read 1,195,322 times
YES! I would LOVE to have a Trader Joe's in the Treasure Valley! I REALLY miss Trader Joe's. Anyone heard anything about them still thinking about coming here?

Old 07-26-2009, 04:55 PM

21 posts, read 79,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregFromOregon View Post
Thank you for seeing reality as it really is.

As more and more chain businesses replace locally owned, independent eqivalents, are they not also driving away any local sense of comunity and identity? Are we slowly transforming from local communities of individuals, each with its own quirky identity, into communities of bland, lifeless chain gangs?

Old 08-07-2009, 10:49 AM

9 posts, read 24,500 times
My wife and I moved here from a town in CA that had a Trader Joe's. I would love nothing more than to see a Trader Joe's come here. First off, I am pretty conservative and no where near a hippie. I first thought that Trader Joe's was a bunch of hippie food like tofu and hummus so I never wen't. Then one day, my wife and I though we'd check out the selection and ended up stocking up on much of our groceries for the next month! It's actually pretty cheep compared to normal supermarkets and comparable to WinCo / WalMart. We looked at the Boise Co Op... the first thing I smelled was hippie (mixture of B.O. and marijuana) before even walking in... then we left the store with an empty basket. They do have a nice wine shop right around the corner though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area