Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 09:35 AM

5 posts, read 7,151 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
been lurking here for quite some time, finally decided to post. My husband and I are looking to relocate to Boise area in the next year. We have an 18mo old and one due in Nov. We are planning a visit sometime this summer/early fall to stay with some friends and get a feel for the area. They live in southeast boise, near five mile rd/lake hazel rd in a subdivision.
few questions hopefully some can answer!
1) are subdivions worth it? can you list some pro's and con's?
2) our budget is around 200 (185-225). Our priorities in looking for a home is: clean/friendly young neighborhood near great schools. near grocery stores/pharmacy/hospital etc. i have heard to stay away from meridian and nampa/caldwell. otherwise, in your opinion what sounds like a good neighborhood to fit our needs?

Last edited by socalwifey10; 05-24-2013 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 09:40 AM

674 posts, read 1,458,588 times
Someone from So-Cal looking into Boise? How unique!!!

I kid, I kid.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:03 AM

285 posts, read 850,042 times
Five Mile and lake hazel isn't Southeast Boise.

As far as staying away from Nampa, Caldwell, Meridian... why? That depends on you and what you're looking for. I would suggest a long visit searching the entire area to find what you want.

Meridian is just suburbia with a mix of housing styles and price ranges but many people love it. Most of South Boise and West Boise is pretty much the same as Meridian. Boise's uniqueness shines in the southeast corner, north end, downtown, far east end.

As far as the subdivisions being "worth it" - in what ways do you ask? Are you talking about HOA issues or something else??

Many neighborhoods in the north side of Meridian or Boise would fit what it sounds like you're looking for, but price range may be somewhat of an issue. 200k doesn't get you what it once did in the area. It can still get you a very respectable home, but not in a prime location that is really close to everything. If you're OK with a 10 minute drive you will be fine though.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:09 AM

719 posts, read 1,566,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwifey10 View Post
Hi all,
been lurking here for quite some time, finally decided to post. My husband and I are looking to relocate to Boise area in the next year. We have an 18mo old and one due in Nov. We are planning a visit sometime this summer/early fall to stay with some friends and get a feel for the area. They live in southeast boise, near five mile rd/lake hazel rd in a subdivision.
few questions hopefully some can answer!
1) are subdivions worth it? can you list some pro's and con's?
2) our budget is around 200 (185-225). Our priorities in looking for a home is: clean/friendly young neighborhood near great schools. near grocery stores/pharmacy/hospital etc. i have heard to stay away from meridian and nampa/caldwell. otherwise, in your opinion what sounds like a good neighborhood to fit our needs?
1 - Subdivisions vary - some are nice and some aren't so nice. The biggest advantages are probably CC&Rs to keep everything looking nice and amenties (pool, parks, etc). The biggest disadvantages are probably CC&R's (can in invasive) and paying for all the amenties. Whether a subdivision or older neighborhood is better depends on who you ask.

2 - Your budget is tight but doable. Canyon County (Nampa/Caldwell) wouldn't be ideal if you're working in Boise just due to the drive if nothing else, but parts of Meridian have better access into Boise's core than Boise itself so I wouldn't write it off entirely. Plus there's a hospital in Meridian on Eagle Road if that's important to you. I live just outside Meridian's SE city limits with freeway access via Eagle and I think it's a great area - fast access into town but quiet and I have some property I can spread out on. I like the SE Meridian and SW Boise areas much better than North Meridian or NW Boise because you can get about anywhere that matters much faster.

How big of a house and how much property are you hoping to find? That will help narrow down your options.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILI.EB View Post
Five Mile and lake hazel isn't Southeast Boise.
woops, sorry! i definitely meant southwest.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaD View Post
1 - Subdivisions vary - some are nice and some aren't so nice. The biggest advantages are probably CC&Rs to keep everything looking nice and amenties (pool, parks, etc). The biggest disadvantages are probably CC&R's (can in invasive) and paying for all the amenties. Whether a subdivision or older neighborhood is better depends on who you ask.

2 - Your budget is tight but doable. Canyon County (Nampa/Caldwell) wouldn't be ideal if you're working in Boise just due to the drive if nothing else, but parts of Meridian have better access into Boise's core than Boise itself so I wouldn't write it off entirely. Plus there's a hospital in Meridian on Eagle Road if that's important to you. I live just outside Meridian's SE city limits with freeway access via Eagle and I think it's a great area - fast access into town but quiet and I have some property I can spread out on. I like the SE Meridian and SW Boise areas much better than North Meridian or NW Boise because you can get about anywhere that matters much faster.

How big of a house and how much property are you hoping to find? That will help narrow down your options.
Yes, the budget is tight, however we have some time. We both work from home so we can pretty much leave at any time, or wait until we find the right home.
I have been looking at homes in the southwest ada county alliance. We are looking for 3-4 bd, 1600sqft+. I would like a decent backyard, does not have to be huge but definitely fenced in.

Another option for us is renting an apartment temporarily. Looking on craigslist it seems we could find a 2/3bd for less than 1000/mo. that way we could scope out the area for a while and get our bearings. the downside to that is having to move twice. :/

Old 05-24-2013, 11:37 AM

719 posts, read 1,566,422 times
Generally it's smart to rent when moving to a new area, but the downside to that now is if mortgage rates go up. Plus house values in the Treasure Valley are up 15% over last year at this time so it wouldn't be ideal if that trend continued either.

If you're only looking for 1600 square feet, I think you'll do fine with your budget. Backyards will be better on older houses. I'd personally watch out a little bit on houses built from 2003-2008 in terms of quality - some are fine, but just make sure the inspector does his job because lots of houses were slapped up quickly in that time frame. Older houses tend to have more maintenance issues but I think they're better built.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:26 PM

Thanks for your input IdaD.
Of course another option we have is getting in on a new subdivision and buying a to be built house. I have seen a few posts on here bashing CBH Homes, but that was from a few years ago. Can anyone give me info on how they are now?

Last edited by socalwifey10; 05-24-2013 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-24-2013, 07:48 PM

129 posts, read 371,427 times
CBH builds a strong home. People on here that bash builders generally don't know what they are talking about and simply speak from what they have heard (rumor mill). Stay away from Meridian...? Where did you hear this? Meridian and Eagle are the most desired places to live in this area. Good luck on move. Plenty of Californians up here

Old 05-24-2013, 08:29 PM

285 posts, read 850,042 times
There were lots of quality issues from nearly all builders during the building boom.
CBH has a bit of a reputation on here because they typically build houses for very cheap. They are capable of building a higher quality home if you desire that, but CBH doesn't typically build in higher-priced subdivisions. They really dominate the low end / entry level housing segment. You get what you pay for though and that should be expected. They are very basic, nothing upscale, builder's grade carpet, paint, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area