Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2013, 02:10 PM

9 posts, read 28,168 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to Boise and he likes the houses in Meridian, which we have been looking at online. But they all look like they are in subdivisions. Do any of the areas like Meridian or Eagle have actual town centers? We visited Boise last summer and are considering retiring in the area within the next year or two. We were mainly sightseeing last summer, so we didn't look at houses or neighborhoods in which to live. We did drive through the North End and I really liked that area. I suppose we will have to visit again and really look around, but I thought I'd ask just to get an idea of where to look. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 02:29 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Both are towns that have their own history separate from Boise's. Meridian has a small downtown area with a nice public square area and has a mix of historic and newer buildings and some outdoor cafes and the such. Eagle has a smaller downtown area then Meridian and it is also quaint and is more boutiquish and upper crust then Meridian's downtown. Google the history of each and you will also see photos of their downtown areas.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:21 PM

Thank you, Syringaloid! That's really good to hear...I googled...and I am glad to see some downtown area for both of them. I am looking forward to our next visit. Usually, when we go away for a few days, I am usually glad to get home again, but when we visited Boise, I just fell in love with the area...and I really didn't want to leave. Thanks again.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:33 PM

129 posts, read 371,427 times
Meridian is actually in process of building the largest town center in the entire state. Filled with stores, restaurants and apartments too. It will be beautiful when completed. Good luck on move

Old 05-29-2013, 07:21 AM

Thanks Homeinspectorboise! When you write that Meridian is building a "town center" are you talking about restructuring a "downtown" area or is it an entirely new construction, like a mall? Just curious. It is very exciting to be planning a move out of state (second move for me, first for my husband). The only thing I will miss about big city life is the convenience of not having to drive a car very often. Small price and one I can easily get used to again.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:11 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
The "town center" being built in Meridian is a new shopping complex/mall outside of downtown Meridian. It will have a lot of square footage but the largest shopping mall in the area based on sheer number of stores will still be the Boise Town Square Mall. As far as real downtowns, Boise has and will always have the largest downtown in the state. If you want more info on that new mall being built in Meridian, google Village at Meridian.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:59 AM

Thanks, Syringaloid! Both you and Homeinspectorboise have been very helpful, . I really appreciate your time in answering my questions!

Old 05-29-2013, 10:01 AM

285 posts, read 850,042 times
Meridian has it's own downtown. It's really small, but it has simple things such as a car parts store, a few restaurants and bars, a bike shop.
Just south of Downtown, there is a WinCo, Home Depot, Panda Express, McDonalds, etc.
Just north of downtown and west along Fairview (Between Main and Eagle), there is almost everything you would need.
The entire stretch of Eagle Rd from Chinden to Overland (roughly 6 miles) is also mostly Meridian will be fully developed in the near future with retail, restaurants, etc. This area is also where the new Meridian Center mentioned above is being built (Fairview and Eagle specifically)

Eagle has a tiny downtown, a grocery store, tire shop, a few cafes but not a lot in comparison to Eagle or Boise.

Boise is the only city with a true downtown that you can walk and spend a few hours in and most of West Boise's housing is within a minute or two at most of some kind of shopping or dining.

You may want to do a little bit of google map exploring to find all of the non-residential areas and see what is there. You can at least get an idea of areas that would be too busy or isolated for you to rule out on your next visit.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:54 AM

Thanks, ILI.EB! Reminds me a lot of how the Michigan farmland was developed.( I was born and raised in MI before moving east) In the Boise area we could get some city, suburbs and country all within a short ride from each other.

When we were in Boise last summer, neither my husband nor I could get over that we could see so much, in only a few days. One day we took a drive up the mountain, next day down a canyon, and the third we stayed downtown.

Here in New York City, a 20 minute drive upstate could take an hour and a half--depending on the traffic! And once, on a drive home from a vacation in Michigan we were bumper to bumper for the entire state of New Jersey (an hour and a half ride from the PA border to our home took us 5 hours!) Sometimes I'd rather stay home than battle the traffic to get in & out of the city.

The Boise area seems to have a bit of everything we have been looking for...and we will be able to afford living there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: