Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 08:14 AM

312 posts, read 732,651 times

Advertisements

Hopefully that will work....please let us know if you have a moment....again, best of luck to you..........rotties are so wonderful......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 01:16 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,673,803 times
I wanted to update what happened here in case someone else found it useful.

We have a house to rent in Caldwell. I would have preferred Nampa, but we were living in a hotel and it was getting expensive, so we took what we could get quickly.

Here's what I learned:

Most property management companies have some sort of pet restrictions. Either certain breeds or a weight limit. They said it was for insurance liability issues which is weird since, evidently, a few property management companies are able to let the home's owner decide. Even after we secured liability insurance that covers the dog, still, no go. Does not make sense to me. *shrug*

Individual homeowners renting out a house are more likely to allow our dog than professional property management companies. However, individual owners can be any random person and we did not like giving our personal information - like SSN's - to non professionals. The first time we did this, the homeowner sat on the application for a week and did not make a decision, so my husband went back and physically took back the application. Another time we had to give out our information and it just doesn't set well with us. It's probably okay, but in this day and age, it leaves you vulnerable. Ultimately, we found a property management company that lets the homeowner determine whether to allow pets. She ran our credit and gave us and immediate approval.

We got renter's insurance through Allstate that covered our dog. The saving grace here is that she is not a full blooded rottweiler. They do not cover dogs that are 100% pit or rott and maybe dobies. It's only $77 per year and she is covered up to $100,000. Interestingly, if she destroyed the carpet in the rental - not covered. Bites someone - covered. The renter's insurance covers the other things that is normally covered by renter's insurance. I just called them up (if anyone is interested, I'll give you the guy's name) and did it over the phone. I was assigned an agent here in Caldwell when everything was said and done.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:47 PM

792 posts, read 1,301,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I wanted to update what happened here in case someone else found it useful.

We have a house to rent in Caldwell. I would have preferred Nampa, but we were living in a hotel and it was getting expensive, so we took what we could get quickly.

Here's what I learned:

Most property management companies have some sort of pet restrictions. Either certain breeds or a weight limit. They said it was for insurance liability issues which is weird since, evidently, a few property management companies are able to let the home's owner decide. Even after we secured liability insurance that covers the dog, still, no go. Does not make sense to me. *shrug*

Individual homeowners renting out a house are more likely to allow our dog than professional property management companies. However, individual owners can be any random person and we did not like giving our personal information - like SSN's - to non professionals. The first time we did this, the homeowner sat on the application for a week and did not make a decision, so my husband went back and physically took back the application. Another time we had to give out our information and it just doesn't set well with us. It's probably okay, but in this day and age, it leaves you vulnerable. Ultimately, we found a property management company that lets the homeowner determine whether to allow pets. She ran our credit and gave us and immediate approval.

We got renter's insurance through Allstate that covered our dog. The saving grace here is that she is not a full blooded rottweiler. They do not cover dogs that are 100% pit or rott and maybe dobies. It's only $77 per year and she is covered up to $100,000. Interestingly, if she destroyed the carpet in the rental - not covered. Bites someone - covered. The renter's insurance covers the other things that is normally covered by renter's insurance. I just called them up (if anyone is interested, I'll give you the guy's name) and did it over the phone. I was assigned an agent here in Caldwell when everything was said and done.
I can't help but find it interesting that you comprehend the vulnerability of the renter, but fail to comprehend the vulnerability of that party which stands to lose the most...the property owner...

Your 100k insurance policy would not even scratch the surface in a true, personal injury action....after legal, medical, and damages are assessed....that homeowner could be hung to dry...put yourself in their position....even good dogs do bad things...!

Old 12-23-2013, 06:31 AM

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I've been a property owner (and, on occasion, a landlord) for 30 years. Did you find that interesting?

Rottweilers are powerful animals and I completely understand the vulnerability of a property owner and have no problem with a property owner setting boundaries. What I take issue with is the inconsistency from different property management companies. The fact that I could get my dog covered for only $77 per year should tell you the probability of my dog biting someone.

Using your logic all dogs should be banned. After all, Irish Setters are good dogs...

Not only that, but:

Quote:
One of the reasons landlords are reluctant to rent to tenants with dogs is fear that if the dog injures someone, the landlord, as well as the dog's owner, may end up paying.
It’s very rare, however, for a landlord to be found liable for injuries inflicted by a tenant's dog. Just leasing premises to a tenant with a dog isn't enough, by itself, to make a landlord legally responsible for a tenant's dog. For example, if a tenant's apparently friendly dog bites someone, the landlord isn't liable for the injury. (See, for example, Stokes v. Lyddy, 75 Conn. App. 252 (2002) and Georgianna v. Gizzy, 483 N.Y.S.2d 892, 126 Misc. 2d 766 (1984).)
In general, courts hold a landlord liable only if the landlord:
  • knew the dog was dangerous and could have had the dog removed; or
  • "harbored" or "kept" the tenant's dog—that is, cared for or had some control over the dog.
Landlord Liability for Tenants' Dogs | Nolo.com

Old 12-23-2013, 09:42 AM

792 posts, read 1,301,786 times
My logic is actually based on past experience. I had a Golden Retriever bite an insurance adjuster. It is a slippery slope, and the risk for many does not out weigh the benefit.

As a previous landlord, I am confident you understand the need to know your tenant.

It is the world we live in....nothing new !

That one, and only incident got dragged out over three years...Golden Retrievers are NOT by nature, aggressive dogs ....my carrier gave me 30 days to remove the dog, or they threatened cancellation. As stated...I am an animal lover and opted for cancellation.

I assume you can understand how complicated and expensive this can get...fast !

Old 12-24-2013, 09:06 AM

The slippery slope argument can be used in every single argument. It's actually a logical fallacy and has no place in a rational discussion.

My breed of dog is protective and powerful and not ideal for just anyone. As someone who had a long standing fear of pit bulls, I get it. But I'm not going advocate banning all dogs because a very small percentage might bite. (I'd be more likely to ask for a ban on teenagers ; D )

I just wanted to share my experience. Some other responsible pet owner may find it useful.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:18 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
giving your breed a cute nickname isn't going to help you in the rental dept.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:55 AM

^Germane?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area