Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 04:38 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times

Advertisements

I have been talking to property management companies and have been immediately rebuffed because of one of our dogs seems to be on the banned breeds list - not that I find that surprising, but I was surprised as to how prevalent it is. We did find a few management companies that might have rentals for us. I've not rented in 30 years, so this is all new to me, for the most part.

My husband will be arriving this weekend and will be looking for a place for us in the Nampa area. We are quiet, responsible, and have excellent credit. If you know of anyone who has a place to rent that could be flexible with us in our situation, I would ever so much appreciative for any leads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 06:39 AM

312 posts, read 732,694 times
Gosh I am sorry about this...I know I have a large greyhound and some companies also entail a weight limit....good grief....I would say you might just have to call a lot of the companies and talk with the individuals and explain your situation and also maybe Craigslist renting from an individual instead of an apartment complex or property management.....Best of luck to you!!! Could you please let us know your results as we are coming to Boise in the spring and may have the same problem with our greyhound.............Thank you!

Old 08-15-2013, 08:56 AM

Yes, of course I can let you know the outcome. I'm fairly confident that we will find a place. I just want more options.

A few of the property managers had mentioned a weight limit, but mostly they consult a banned breeds list. I think you will have better luck than me (and who couldn't love a greyhound?).

Old 08-15-2013, 09:20 AM

284 posts, read 611,836 times
Have you checked with Residential Property Management?

Old 08-15-2013, 10:05 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Just FYI, the reason most landlords have a banned breeds list is for insurance reasons. If they allow a tenant that has a dog on the banned list, the owner's insurance company can choose to drop their insurance completely and not insure the property. I believe some companies get around this by requiring the tenant to have insurance that covers if the dog attacks or bites someone. So look into that as an option, as well.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:24 PM

63 posts, read 113,537 times
I hope you find a place! I, too, was noticing dogs in rentals seem to be more an issue there than other places. We are still in the planning phase but will have two australian shepherds (cannot imagine they would be on a ban list) but are heavy (one is 60ish lbs) but not big at all. I think several of us could benefit from someone posting specific management companies that usually allow dogs as I know they tend to influence the home owner on these matters.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeBee66 View Post
Have you checked with Residential Property Management?
Yes, the person I spoke with said no Rotties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyMama2 View Post
I hope you find a place! I, too, was noticing dogs in rentals seem to be more an issue there than other places. We are still in the planning phase but will have two australian shepherds (cannot imagine they would be on a ban list) but are heavy (one is 60ish lbs) but not big at all. I think several of us could benefit from someone posting specific management companies that usually allow dogs as I know they tend to influence the home owner on these matters.
I think it is more about how menacing they look. Rotties are very powerful animals and, although they may bite less than a chahuahua, the bite is far more dangerous on the occasion that they do (mine never has).

Old 08-15-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Just FYI, the reason most landlords have a banned breeds list is for insurance reasons. If they allow a tenant that has a dog on the banned list, the owner's insurance company can choose to drop their insurance completely and not insure the property. I believe some companies get around this by requiring the tenant to have insurance that covers if the dog attacks or bites someone. So look into that as an option, as well.
Yes, some insurance companies are that way. I wish I was given the option of taking out my own policy, though. One management company did allow this.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:11 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,416,491 times
Good luck from Arkansas. I used to have a Rottie. Best dog that I ever had the pleasure of sharing lives with.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:09 PM

So, I got renter's insurance that includes the dog with $100,000 of liability protection. I know one agency requires it and hoping to increase my chances with others.

I guess, I'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area