Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 08:21 PM

25 posts, read 67,459 times

Advertisements

Emission testing is new to us, for our old state didn't require it. I saw a bunch of places here and there in Boise to get that done, but wanted to know if there is a 'better' place than others, or they are all the same? Do they charge about the same? Is this something you shop around or just go into any place you see? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 08:52 PM

863 posts, read 2,981,333 times
As far as I've exprienced, they are all the same and charge the same. Go where it's convenient.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:13 PM

Great, thanks, zoso1979!

Old 09-05-2013, 10:58 PM

157 posts, read 355,647 times
How often do they schedule these? I moved here last Feb and got a notice in June. My sister and brother in law have been here 14 months and still haven't gotten one. Just curious why I got one 4 months after moving here and they have yet to get one. Seems odd.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:16 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,396,520 times
Tell you what, be glad you aren't in Seattle. Not sure how it is now, but when I lived there, you had to go to DMV places that were mainly open while you were at work, there was a long line most afternoons, flaming pain in the rear. And, of course, you had to pay. In terms of purchasing power it was more expensive than the $20 places I see about one every 100 yards on Fairview.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:26 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,616,397 times
The price is set by the government, so all of them emissions testing places charge the same price. It goes by the age and model year of the car. You don't have to have the test done until the car is four years old. They go in alternating odd/even model years. One year, every odd model year car will be tested. The next year it's every even model year. If your car is an even model year and turns four when they're doing the odd model year, you don't have to get one until next year.

It used to be you had to have the test no matter how new your car was. I moved here when my car was two and had to get the test. It was a total waste of time and money. The car wasn't even out of warranty.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:13 PM

285 posts, read 847,076 times
They actually do not all charge the same amount, the price is just capped to a maximum set by the state.
They all do the same thing though, the computer says if it's pass or fail... And although the price can vary, it doesn't vary by much. I think the lowest I've seen was $8.xx

Here is a bit more info
http://www.deq.idaho.gov/regional-of...s-testing.aspx

Old 09-06-2013, 09:25 PM

93 posts, read 269,244 times
there is a web site that shows all the locations. I was reluctant to go to one of the mobile testing locations. They have red cargo vans that appear to be manufactured some time in the early 1980s, and the attendants are very shady looking. Long hair, pony tails, heavy smokers, morbidly obese, etc. I thought I should probably go to a brick and mortar building, and get my emissions testing done seeking a more professional environment. But my car is 20 years old, and in sorry shape. It will pass emissions every time, but it might have some safety issues. I went to the mobile location because I figured they would be less likely to poke around and find something besides emissions that would put my car out of business.... bad tires, bad whatever. I was pleasantly surprised by the mobile service. Yes he looked like a hippie from the 60s, and probably smokes 3 packs a day. But the process went quickly and smoothly. I would recommend the mobile units as they get the job done probably quicker than a auto shop.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:42 PM

278 posts, read 901,421 times
It does seem to be a rule that the mobile emissions personnel are scruffy looking. But like you, I've never had any problems with the service from the mobile locations I've been to. Having the mobile locations dispersed through the city is much better than some places which require taking your vehicle to a central facility and waiting in line to get tested.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:51 PM

Well, we got ours done for $20 at bricks and mortar place on State St. - went pretty good. Here's the website that was helpful too: Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area