Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 05:16 PM

15 posts, read 25,657 times

Advertisements

I would greatly appreciate some suggestions on rental house or apartments in Boise.
My husband and I are moving within the next few months from FL. We need a quite 2br , pet friendly place for no more than $700 a month, preferable not around the college area( we like our quite )

Also what kind of cost would I be looking at for starting up utilities( electric, gas, cable ect) Trying to make sure we have all our start up cost taken care of.

Thank you for any help you can give
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 02:05 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,636,534 times
If you are renting an apartment, you won't need to worry about much. The apartment will already have gas, electricity and water connected. You just take over the billing from the management company. There might be a start up cost for cable, Internet or phone (if you want a land line) but most of the time the company will waive the cost in the interest of getting you signed up.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:12 AM

Great thank you~

any suggestions on good apartments or good areas too look at?

Old 09-20-2013, 09:36 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
If you haven't had service with them before, Idaho Power, Intermountain Gas and most of the water companies (but not Meridian) charge a deposit, and most of them also charge a fee to change the billing name and address and read the meter. Power is like $20 for the transition, I think Gas is $14. If your credit is really good, they may not charge a deposit, but I can't say that for sure. My suggestion would be to call them and ask what they charge for first timers' deposits.

If you are renting an apartment, expect to pay for water, power and gas. But if you are renting a house/plex (duplex, triplex, etc), expect to pay for sewer and trash as well. Most house/plexes in Boise, the tenant pays for all utilities.

$700 for a 2 bedroom is reasonable for an apartment and stretching it for a plex. It is unlikely you will find many houses in that price. We have a couple of plexes that rent in the $600-$700 range, but they are either in less desirable areas of town (such as backing to Chinden, or next door to a car lot), or else they are very old, and somewhat dated.

West Boise/Meridian is probably where you are going to end up looking. Sorry, I don't have any specific suggestions...apartments aren't my area of expertise, as our rentals are all houses and duplexes.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:56 PM

How is the cell phone service in Boise ? I currently use AT&T wireless and need a heads up in case I need to change service. Thanks

Old 09-30-2013, 07:53 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,479 times
Cell service is good in Boise. AT&T will be fine in town but I have Verizon and recomend it to anybody in the west, because the coverage in the more rural areas is quite a bit better. If you're in town all the time and only travel major highways when you drive out of the area AT&T will be fine, but if you go farther astray you'll be better off with Verizon. I assume all major carriers offer 4G data in town these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area