Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:19 AM

6,324 posts, read 7,669,840 times

Advertisements

In my investigations for determining a retirement destination, I've been watching Idaho weather for a year or so. (My maternal great-grandparents and great-great grandparents are buried in Payette and my paternal great-grandparents and great-great grandparents are burried in Hailey.)

I really haven't consider Boise, and probably won't, but I'm wondering about weekend destinations for people who reside in Boise. I've noticed that it was pretty hot in Boise this summer. Almost the same as where I am now, (Palmdale, the high desert north of Los Angeles). Down here, it was right at the century mark all summer. Just now is it starting to cool down.

It was a surprise to see that Boise was also right at the 100 degree marker most of the summer. Where do you go to get out of the heat? Out-of-town, I mean. Yeah, there are the malls and movie theaters as well as your own homes. If you want to take a drive to go someplace cooler, within a family-friendly drive, where do you go?

Thanks. Just curious.

By the way, it was because of the persistent high temperatures in Boise this summer that I probably won't consider Boise as my retirement home. When it is that hot, no matter how low the humidity, it is not a very pleasant environment for taking long-distance bicycle rides, (60-120 miles). I think I'd like something a little cooler, say about an average high in the mid to high 80s with a few days here and there in the mid-90s. (Sounds like I need to be at about 5,000 or 6,000 feet for something like that.)

Last edited by volosong; 10-01-2013 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 11:36 AM

719 posts, read 1,556,498 times
Bend has cooler summers so you might look there.

June-July-August in Boise this year was the hottest on record so I wouldn't really consider it the norm. You might look at averages over a longer period before crossing Boise off your list if that's the only problem you have with the area. But, the summers are warm here.

You are a little off on the humidity comment, though - it does make a huge difference. Go somewhere in the midwest or southeast in the summer and you'll experience it first-hand. Or look at a heat-index chart. 100 degrees at 5% humidity is 94 on the heat index. 100 degrees at 50% humidity is 118 on the heat index.

The mountains are where most go to escape the heat. Gaining a little elevation and sticking your feet in a cold mountain stream cools you off in a hurry.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the info, IdaD. If you are referring to Bend, Oregon . . . nah. Even though blessed with abundant beauty, Oregon doesn't appeal to me. Right now, my search is limited to Oregon and Wyoming, (and a couple of places overseas).

I've lived in a low-humidity environment my whole life and have visited back east in the summer. The only way I would be east of the Rockies for any extended mount of time would be because I'd be dead, and in that case, I wouldn't care.

Thanks again.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:33 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,849,315 times
The Boise River

Old 10-01-2013, 02:39 PM

Oops. Just noticed a typo and I can't change it. To avoid confusion, I'm considering "Idaho and Wyoming", not "Oregon and Wyoming". Sheech. I hate it when my mind runs faster than my feet will carry me.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:57 PM

623 posts, read 1,603,609 times
Mountain spots where people cool off include McCall, Cascade, Donnelly, Garden Valley, Lowman, Stanley, Sun Valley/Hailey/Ketchum, Pine/Featherville, and lots of places further north. Those are all within about a 3 hour (or less) radius and are popular spots.

You might find cooler summers but that will come with longer, colder winters. I'll take Boise's long spring and fall over a cooler spot's interminable winter any day. It's hard to beat Boise for long bike ride options.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:59 PM

229 posts, read 703,446 times
Yeah, you're going to need to be up in the mountains if you want temps in the 80's all summer. Like it's already been said, you go up into the hills behind us to beat the heat. Same with Palmdale too, but the scenery is far prettier here as well as more accessible. Palmdale and Boise are at roughly the same elevation, but you have fairly mild winter temps. But it seems like the winters aren't as much of an issue with you. Where are you looking at in Wyoming?

I'm with you on the humidity. I've been fortunate in life so far to avoid it but I'm moving to a part of the globe where it's going to be an issue, and I'm not looking forward to dealing with it possibly for the rest of my life. I'm going to dread next summer.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:34 PM

Well, I may have to re-examine my assumptions. When you mentioned that we here in Palmdale have "fairly mild winter temps", I thought to myself, "No way! He's not fooling me. It gets dang cold around here in the winter." So, I pulled up weather.com and displayed the yearly climograph of Palmdale, and then in another window, the one for Boise.

Looking at Palmdale first . . . yup, the average high in July and August were right on this season. The climograph shows the average high as being 98 for both months. Being an "average", it is not unexpected that we were at the century mark most of the summer. The average low in the summer is 66 and 65. We were about 5-8 degrees warmer than that most of the season.

Okay, I live here. I know this place and now have my reference. Let's see how it compares to Boise. The average high for July and August in Boise is 91 and 90, so you were about ten degrees warmer than average this summer. It shows your average low for both months at 60. (I did not chart the lows, so have no idea how this summer was for you in that regard.)

Now, the winters. Do we in the Antelope Valley really have a more mild winter than Boise? The December and January average high and low is 58-60 and 34-34. (It sure seems like it is a lot colder than that. We do get snow here every few years. Sometimes, it even sticks around for a full week, (in the shadows) <insert appropriate emoticon here>). Maybe because I ride my bike in the early mornings when it is still in the 40s and low 50s is why I think it is brutally cold around here in the winter. With those low temps, and the wind chill factor generated by a 15-17 mph speed . . . yeah, it gets 'cold'.

Anyway, the Boise average temps for December and January are 37-38 and 24-25. Well, whatta ya know? You're right! Compared to Boise, Palmdale is definitely more mild in the winter. Never thought of it that way because my life's experience is close to the ocean where the temperatures are really moderate year round.

Looks like I won't be doing any cycling in the Boise winters. Oh well. So, how's the kayaking? The river doesn't freeze over, does it? And, I do have some cross-country skis.

- - - - -

In Wyoming, I'm looking at the Bighorn Basin, Thermopolis in particular. It's a delightful little town, out there all by itself, (are not all Wyoming cities "out there by themselves"?). It lies in a beautiful setting. Not many trees outside of town, but I'm used to the unique beauty of a desert landscape. It grows on you, but I would miss the nearby forests.

- - - - -

Thanks for the list, benchfan. More places to check out. Good luck next summer, ramenfan. I don't envy you in the least. "Rest of your life"? You're either going to have to get used to it, or work towards coming "back home".

Old 10-01-2013, 05:51 PM

719 posts, read 1,556,498 times
Winters in Wyoming will be quite a bit harsher than Boise.

Also, the low humidity helps in the winters too and makes the cooler temps pretty liveable. I go out for a run before work every morning rain or shine. Last January we had multiple mornings at or below 0, and I think on the lowest morning it was -9 at my house when I got back. It was cold but with appropriate clothing it's doable. I wouldn't do it much colder than that, but mostly it isn't that cold here in the winters - and exercising outside at 10 or 15 degrees for 40 minutes is really no big deal. And you can go a lot longer than that if you're doing something like skiing where you can load up more on the gear.

The only time biking would be an issue in the winter is if there's snow or ice on the roads - otherwise you'll be fine with appropriate clothing.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:46 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,343,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
In my investigations for determining a retirement destination, I've been watching Idaho weather for a year or so. (My maternal great-grandparents and great-great grandparents are buried in Payette and my paternal great-grandparents and great-great grandparents are burried in Hailey.)

I really haven't consider Boise, and probably won't, but I'm wondering about weekend destinations for people who reside in Boise. I've noticed that it was pretty hot in Boise this summer. Almost the same as where I am now, (Palmdale, the high desert north of Los Angeles). Down here, it was right at the century mark all summer. Just now is it starting to cool down.

It was a surprise to see that Boise was also right at the 100 degree marker most of the summer. Where do you go to get out of the heat? Out-of-town, I mean. Yeah, there are the malls and movie theaters as well as your own homes. If you want to take a drive to go someplace cooler, within a family-friendly drive, where do you go?

Thanks. Just curious.

By the way, it was because of the persistent high temperatures in Boise this summer that I probably won't consider Boise as my retirement home. When it is that hot, no matter how low the humidity, it is not a very pleasant environment for taking long-distance bicycle rides, (60-120 miles). I think I'd like something a little cooler, say about an average high in the mid to high 80s with a few days here and there in the mid-90s. (Sounds like I need to be at about 5,000 or 6,000 feet for something like that.)
The heat in Boise, even when 100, is nothing like the oppressive heat in the South West.

The nights in summer are pleasant and the day time temps during spring and fall are awesome. September was a great month with typical cooler fall like temps.

I cycle and it is doable even in the Summer heat, you adjust the time of day you bike. The Greenbelt is generally cooler and shady during the heat of July and August and makes for a great long bike ride. You would have to spend a summer hear to see that the heat doesn't really effect the cities outdoor lifestyle, Boise is as active as ever during summertime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area