Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 08:36 AM

20 posts, read 60,279 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot of people on the forums talking about paying hundreds a month in property taxes.

I thought Idaho was one of the 2 States in the USA that does not make you pay property taxes?

So which is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 11:08 AM

69 posts, read 143,385 times
Taxes by State

Old 10-06-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peru & Ky to Idaho View Post
I guess that's a "no"!

Great link!

I'm surprised more people don't move to Idaho for that reason alone. I know people paying THOUSANDS a month in property taxes! Most paying at least HUNDREDS. For the rest of their lives!

It's nice to know if we move to ID, we can really own a home. That is, not pay taxes at all! But then again, we have to deal with the nation's worst nuclear radiation

Old 10-06-2013, 08:52 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unggoy_pekpek View Post
I guess that's a "no"!

Great link!

I'm surprised more people don't move to Idaho for that reason alone. I know people paying THOUSANDS a month in property taxes! Most paying at least HUNDREDS. For the rest of their lives!

It's nice to know if we move to ID, we can really own a home. That is, not pay taxes at all! But then again, we have to deal with the nation's worst nuclear radiation
You realize ID has sales tax, right? Even on food. And state income tax, if you have income other than SS and certain retirement income?

Also:

"No matter where you live in the U.S., if you own real estate you'll have to pay property taxes."

Best and Worst States for Property Taxes - The 10 States With the Highest and Lowest Property Taxes

And, WA has the most contaminated nuclear site in the country:

"The Hanford facility is considered the most contaminated nuclear site in the nation. It is also the oldest in the world, with plutonium from the site used to make the atom bomb detonated over Nagasaki, Japan, in World War II. It borders the Columbia River

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013/...#ixzz2h07frwBM

Old 10-06-2013, 10:08 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,610 times
Not really clear about the previous posts. They make it sound like Idaho has no property tax. We DO very much have property tax on real property.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
You realize ID has sales tax, right? Even on food. And state income tax, if you have income other than SS and certain retirement income?

Also:

"No matter where you live in the U.S., if you own real estate you'll have to pay property taxes."

Best and Worst States for Property Taxes - The 10 States With the Highest and Lowest Property Taxes

And, WA has the most contaminated nuclear site in the country:

"The Hanford facility is considered the most contaminated nuclear site in the nation. It is also the oldest in the world, with plutonium from the site used to make the atom bomb detonated over Nagasaki, Japan, in World War II. It borders the Columbia River

Read more: DOE seeking source of radiation at troubled Hanford nuclear complex - UPI.com
But food is not real estate...

And who lives in a house that costs more than $150,000? Or even $80,000 for that matter.

So Idaho IS a State where we would not have to pay tax on our real estate

Are you sure the Hanford Facility has more nuclear radiation than the entire State of Idaho? Or all the other States?

Old 10-07-2013, 01:20 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:

And who lives in a house that costs more than $150,000? Or even $80,000 for that matter.

So Idaho IS a State where we would not have to pay tax on our real estate

Are you sure the Hanford Facility has more nuclear radiation than the entire State of Idaho? Or all the other States?
No, but tax on food still involves money you don't get to keep. Same for state income tax. Tax is tax, whether it happens on the employer payroll level or you have to mail a check. Americans' greatest general accounting weakness is not realizing that all the employer taxes are really costing them, since those costs are all associated with the cost of having employees. Health insurance, FUTA, SUTA, L&I, employer portion SS/Medicare--that's all money that isn't available to pay you because it gets paid as tax to have you on payroll. Unless one has done payroll, one probably doesn't know. Americans think they are at least taxed less than the rest of the developed world. They are taxed a lot more than they think; the difference is that in the rest of the developed world, people get something for their tax money. The shell game fools them every time.

I live in a house in Boise that cost about $190,000. And I could easily have spent more; this isn't an extravagant place. Had I told my real estate agent to show me only houses for less than $80K, she would have either started showing me tarpaper shacks, or politely suggested I come back when I was serious.

On it, I pay about $1000/year with the Idaho homeowner's exemption. Otherwise it would be over $2000. That is property tax. You would have to pay tax on your real estate.

Having just moved from living near Hanford, I doubt Idaho has more radioactive hazards than eastern Washington. Although I'm not sure how that's relevant to Idaho life.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:47 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Quote:
I hear a lot of people on the forums talking about paying hundreds a month in property taxes.

I thought Idaho was one of the 2 States in the USA that does not make you pay property taxes?

So which is it?
In Bonner County we pay 1% property tax to fund roads & bridges, fire district, school levy, etc.

So as other posters mentioned, there is an exemption for your home and up to 1 acre of land. This amount was $81k in 2013 (will be $84k for 2014). So if your home is assessed at $300k (each county in Idaho re-assesses every year for property tax purposes), then you'd pay 1% on $219k or $2190 for the year.

If you live in a city that has additional assessments, that's obviously on top of the county base tax rate. For example, Sandpoint has additional taxes for police, parks, streets, water/sewage, etc. I believe people in Sandpoint pay around 1.7%. I would defer to Boise area residents to inform on their specific cities' tax rates...but unincorporated county areas will always be less...

Old 10-07-2013, 08:22 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,305 times
Quote:

As of this summer, the average sales price in Ada county was just under $250k.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:32 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Plus, I don't think you are understanding how the exemption works. It isn't that you don't have to pay taxes on the first $81k on your home. That is the MAXIMUM exemption. It is 50% of the value of your home, UP TO $81k. So if your house is worth $80k, you pay taxes on 50% of that, or $40k. If your home is worth more than $81k x 2 or $162k, you cap out the exemption.

Idaho DEFINITELY does have property tax.

As for value, I live in a 2 bedroom townhouse and it cost about $135k. So it is pretty east to reach the $162k and cap out the exemption. With the exemption (which at my value is 50%), I pay about $1200 a year in property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area