Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 01:05 PM

229 posts, read 565,462 times

Advertisements

I'll be taking a trip up to Boise next weekend to do some scouting. Here's the problem I'm seeing with a lot of what I've discovered from my online research: New home communities at are filled with mom, dad and two and a half kids families (which is fine for them). Problem is that I won't fit into such communities as I'm single with no kids and I might bring my parents up there with me once I move. Any suggestions for finding a more mature neighborhood with homes that aren't 1950s? Ideally I'd like to be fairly close to the green belt, but not very far (5-8 miles) from downtown Boise. Are there sections of Eagle or Star or Meridian that aren't populated by families with small kids? My price range is $210k or so..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 02:33 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,127 times
North end. East end. South east Boise. West downtown south of State St.

Done.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:34 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,127 times
Is that 210k Vegas money, or Boise money?

Old 10-18-2013, 02:49 PM

229 posts, read 565,462 times
North end, east end, are these actual named areas, or are you just speaking geographically?
Vegas money or Boise money? I don't follow...?

Old 10-18-2013, 03:17 PM

6 posts, read 13,882 times
Is the whole world moving to Boise?

We, too, are coming up to scout the area. We want to rent ($1100-$1300 monthly) before committing long term.

Any ideas what this will get and again what parts of the city would be suggested. We would like an area with character (large trees not cookie cutter close to a YMCA not far from downtown, quiet streets.

Thanks.

jmatson

Old 10-18-2013, 03:21 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatson View Post

We, too, are coming up to scout the area. We want to rent ($1100-$1300 monthly) before committing long term.

Any ideas what this will get and again what parts of the city would be suggested. We would like an area with character (large trees not cookie cutter close to a YMCA not far from downtown, quiet streets.

Thanks.

jmatson
The Northend, Eastend/Warm Springs. There is a YMCA downtown on State Street and both of these neighborhoods border downtown and are the most historic in the city. These old neighborhoods have towering trees.

The Northend - Boise's historic neighborhood online, schools, politics, real estate, history, hyde park, and more

Old 10-18-2013, 06:46 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatson View Post

Thanks.

jmatson
It's sure getting that way - and then Boise will be like everywhere else, and y'all can move someone again.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:33 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
It's sure getting that way - and then Boise will be like everywhere else, and y'all can move someone again.
What a narrow minded post this is, for a second I thought I was at a fatuous blog about guarding or I was reading comments at the Idaho Statesman. This thread is about someone wanting info about Boise, and it is not a thread to tell someone they are going to crowd out your turf.

The way I comprehend this mindset is that in Idaho there are the small but vocal crowd of somewhat paranoid old timers, they are grumpy and don't like people moving here.

Then there are people like me, I was born and raised in Idaho and I am young and welcome the growth because it creates opportunities for people like me to remain in Idaho and not have to move away for a career.

Boise is still small and has a long, long, long way to go, years ahead of now, before it could be considered overcrowded, if that ever happens.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:05 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
He asked if the whole world was moving to Boise; I answered.

Western Oregon and Washington thought they had a long way to go. So did Arizona and southern Nevada. And Colorado.

And now people are fleeing those places for Boise. If you don't think Boise will end up the same... well you're just naive.

I'm not all that old, and I'm certainly born and bred in Idaho. You're young so you haven't had the perspective of change we've experienced. Has it been for the better? Yeah, so far. But there's nothing unique about the problems that growth causes - which have happened everywhere else - that it won't happen here.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:00 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times
A large portion of Boise's influx is from older retirees and it's still quite low on the radar for the younger group, although it is a growing segment. Portland, Seattle, Denver, and Phoenix are all still growing at approx the same rate as Boise, some faster and some slower.

There's this weird perception on this forum that every larger city in the West has reached a misery tipping point and experiencing mass population loss to Boise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: