Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 10:09 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
Thanks for the info.

How often does it get over 100 during the summer & for how long during the summer can you expect those kinds of temps? If its just for a few weeks during late June, July, & early August, I think that I could live with that.

I went to a convention in Las Vegas, NV for a week during the week following Labor Day & it was over 100 every day. That is a bit late in the season for those kinds of temps for me.

Mark
You won't find the Vegas style temps in Boise, especially that late in the season. I think overall your desires are pointing to Boise. As for feeding your hobby, you'll be in a great area to take day trips.

You mention Carolinas or Virginia, while beautiful, I don't think I'd want to live in the humidity they can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 01:32 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
I found for the most part that if it did get close to 100 degrees it was only for maybe an hour or two late in the afternoon. Not like Vegas or Phoenix where it hits 100 by 8 AM and stays that way until after dark. Even on the warmest days in the summer I still could open up all the doors and windows for a little bit in the morning to help cool off my house.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:02 AM

719 posts, read 1,566,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
How often does it get over 100 during the summer & for how long during the summer can you expect those kinds of temps? If its just for a few weeks during late June, July, & early August, I think that I could live with that.
Average is something like 8 days a year with highs over 100. Last year was a lot more (hottest overall June-August on record). A couple of years ago we hit 100 twice. So it varies a lot.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:17 AM

36 posts, read 63,221 times
Welcome to Boise. I grew up in NYC and moved here over 20 years ago. There are quite a few folks from NY and NJ here. We have all you want. We lack great food including pizza. We have 4 distinct seasons, winters in the valley are mild. 20 minutes away is a ski resort. Call with questions. Rich

Old 01-06-2014, 10:06 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
We had one year it only got over 90 twice, years ago. Usually, though, I would agree we usually have 8-12 days of 100+ for a while in the afternoons (14 I think this year). Not as bad as Vegas or Phoenix, but hotter than most places at our altitude and latitude. One year we had like 26 days that were over 100, but that is rare. July and August are typically the hot months, but if you learn anything about Boise it should be that the weather is unpredictable. I think this year, we hit 100 in late June and stayed there through almost all of July, but then August was a bit cooler. The hottest part of this summer was before the 1st of July weekend.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:18 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Rich ID View Post
Welcome to Boise. I grew up in NYC and moved here over 20 years ago. There are quite a few folks from NY and NJ here. We have all you want. We lack great food including pizza. We have 4 distinct seasons, winters in the valley are mild. 20 minutes away is a ski resort. Call with questions. Rich
Rich, you'll have to come over and visit Idaho Falls, we have a decent NY style pizza here. Small local chain with three locations

Old 01-09-2014, 04:08 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Rich, you'll have to come over and visit Idaho Falls, we have a decent NY style pizza here. Small local chain with three locations
Boise has several local pizza joints that claim to be "New York Style Pizza". The clincher is if they are actually the real deal or not, or if they just use the city in their name. My favorite pizza in Boise is Tony's Pizzeria Teatro downtown and is great for Neapolitan style pizzas and probably has the best on line reviews of any pizza place in Boise. The owner is related to Gino who runs his Italian restaurant in Meridian. I believe both are from Italy and they know how to cook.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:57 AM

59 posts, read 60,222 times
Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for all of the responses.

Mark

Old 01-15-2014, 11:56 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,138 times
If you want somewhere in Idaho that is a little less dry than the Boise area, you might consider north Idaho. Round about 25 inches of rain per year up there. It would also be less hot in the summer, but colder and I'd guess more snow in the winter. In the Coeur d'Alene area you'd be roughly a half hour from the Spokane Airport, which has good service. It's a smaller city, with the usual tradeoffs that some with that, but you'd be right in the middle of some great outdoor recreation opportunities and fantastic scenic beauty.

BTW, I grew up in NJ, lived and worked in southern California since college, and will be retiring to our home in Sagle (about an hour north of Coeur d'Alene) in 2-3 years time.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:40 PM

325 posts, read 576,530 times
We were both pilots BAe146-100's and have lived all over - uprooting the kids every few years, never settling down. I was born in Maui and it's way too expensive to live there. DH was born in NE Georgia. His hands are crippled with arthritis and so we are currently in high elev NM - but longing for green areas again. We lived in Colo and Wyo - but the water problems exist there as much as here. Before our move here, the last posting was in NW Montana. Always found it nicer in in Sandpoint and CDA. Not too crazy about high deserts anymore. Would rather live somewhere in Idaho - where the humidity isn't too high and where we can get decent medical - not VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area