Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 10:07 AM

17 posts, read 37,500 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions about the Boise area. I've looked through many threads but don't see answers to my questions...I haven't looked everywhere though so I apologize if this is a repeat.

We are planning to move to the Boise area from Phoenix AZ. I have two daughters that love to ice skate and that means we end up at the arena at least three times a week. Is Idaho Ice World really the only ice skating facility around?

We would like to be somewhere with more green/trees but need to be near Boise for business reasons. Are there areas that are better or worse for this? We love the look of the northern foothills area but our budget is going to be more like $300,000 or so. We do plan to rent for a while (a lease option would be ideal) just to get a feel for things. Our business needs won't have us downtown every day - more like once or twice a week...so the commute isn't a huge factor but we don't want to be 90 minutes away either.

We love the idea of a bit of land, but I don't want a fixer upper of a house...we have enough on our plates right now I'd give that up for the right area/price with a decent sized private yard.

I homeschool our kids right now, only because they had some terrible experiences with the school they were in. I would like good schools, but am a big believer that we can get out of that what we put in. Of course a safe area is important.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 02:48 PM

278 posts, read 906,462 times
Idaho Ice World is indeed the only public ice facility available in the area.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:04 PM

32 posts, read 54,198 times
Hi New. The North End and the Foothills area are on the pricey end if you don't want some sort of fixer upper. It is do-able for $300K, but you're probably not going to get the land that you would like. Southeast Boise has good schools and there are some areas on the outskirts where you may be able to pick up a half acre lot or so for $300K. Commute-wise, you're not going to be 90 minutes away anywhere in the valley. For more land, you might have to look at South Boise, Kuna, Star, or maybe some of Meridian.

Zedd is right, Ice World is the only facility. It does have two rinks and has a decent amount of public skating, but we could use another one for the Boise-metro area.

Are you going to be visiting up here any time soon?

Old 03-02-2014, 07:55 AM

Thanks so much - I thought maybe I was missing something...Boise is a pretty large city to only have one ice skating rink! We are going to try and fit a 'look around' trip in in April or May. Is South Boise a bad thing?

Old 03-02-2014, 09:42 AM

I'm reading about other areas near (or maybe they are in?) Boise, like Kuna, Meridian etc. No ice rinks in any of those either?

Old 03-02-2014, 04:16 PM

863 posts, read 2,993,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothesun View Post
I'm reading about other areas near (or maybe they are in?) Boise, like Kuna, Meridian etc. No ice rinks in any of those either?
Nope, Idaho Ice World is the only year around rink in the valley. The Village in Meridian has/had a winter seasonal temporary rink over the holidays.

SE Boise has a lot to offer. It has good good neighborhood schools and is not nearly as traffic congested, both on the streets and in the stores. There's also a lot variation in the landscape that in my opinion makes it a bit more physically attactive than Meridian and South Boise.

Sounds like you need to find a good realtor to assist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: