Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 09:52 AM

679 posts, read 812,320 times

Advertisements

There are lots of places with far more problems that we have in Boise. Moving here has been one of the best decisions we made and we have no plans to leave the Treasure Valley.

Also, there was a recent study of "safest cities" in the country and I think we made #8 or something. Compare that to living in Lexington, KY and getting burglarized twice in a year. Or living in Tampa, and almost getting car jacked. No thanks, I think I will stay right here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 10:09 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Not to mention Boise currently has one of the lower unemployment rates in the nation (less then the national average) and was recently ranked by an outlet as the top city to move to for 2014. I posted a link to the list in the Idaho news thread which is refreshing and positive after all of the bad news we've (and the nation has had) the past few years.

Things here are not as bad as made to seem in this silly forum.

And I wouldn't demean less fortunate and possibly homeless people such as another person here is doing. If you want to see a true stand on the corner problem/homeless issue then you have to look elsewhere other then Boise. That issue here in Boise is small beans compared to a few other regional cities.

Here is the link to the new safest city list that was just released and is something all of us living here should appreciate.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/Boise-ranks...218190052.html

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 04-04-2014 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: Insult removed

Old 04-04-2014, 11:10 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
People...stick to the subject, or don't post.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:29 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
I think you need to revisit your Idaho history.

It isn't the "liberals" who are moving here; it's the wingnut conservatives from other states, helping to drive this state further and further right, and much further from the legacy that Cecil Andrus and Frank Church helped to establish.

Just to help you "get it" a little bit.
Considering the OP is hoping the state "can keep control of the liberals" like they're some type of contagious disease instead of people with a different political view, it sounds to me like they'll fit right in.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:51 AM

12 posts, read 57,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Considering the OP is hoping the state "can keep control of the liberals" like they're some type of contagious disease instead of people with a different political view, it sounds to me like they'll fit right in.
Haha, how I wish it was as simple as different political views. I'm not going to get into all of that here though.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:16 PM

276 posts, read 644,059 times
Another Boise negative: Abundant scooter-trash.
Nothing like loud Harley Davidsons, et al, roaring by your
house at 2am, and through the neighborhood all day long.

How's the biker scene in Idaho Falls?
Anyone over there copying this transmission?

Old 04-08-2014, 11:52 PM

12 posts, read 57,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngleDoesn'tSuck View Post
Personally I love California, but I would never live there because it is ruled by asinine
liberals who have made it their mission in life to punish conservative Christian people,
and people who want to work hard and enjoy the fruits of their own labor.

*Waxing nostalgic for Ronald Reagan*
Haha, well yeah. If I could keep California's weather, beaches mountains etc and get rid of those that want to turn it into a complete welfare state, I'd stay.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:49 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times
My own personal pet peeve: Even though there is natural gas available, 99% of the homes have electric stoves and dryers. I hate it. I hate cooking on an electric stove and it takes forever to get my clothes dry. We are renting now, but when we decide to buy, that's going to be at the top of my list.

Wages are low.

Groceries are more expensive than where I came here from. Which, I think, is weird.

Other than that, you can't really complain. People are genuinely nice here. When you need customer service, even over the phone, people genuinely go out their way to resolve issue and make you happy. They are always ready for some friendly banter.

Inexpensive housing is available if you don't mind living outside of Boise. Even in Boise there are some very reasonable home prices.

If you like college football, this is a great place. Lots of variety in outdoor sports.

Very low crime.

It's not really that cold. Everyone has told me that this has been one of the most odd winters in terms of how much snow; evidently there was a lot. It wasn't bad at all. Right now, it's beautiful spring weather. My husband was here in the fall and he said that it was like being in Vermont.

Downtown Boise reminds me of a smaller version of downtown Austin, but with better weather and not as much traffic.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:36 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times
One other negative that I've noticed:

A larger percentage of the population does not keep track of their pets. In my neighborhood, I frequently see dogs running around without their owner and I see dogs running around elsewhere as well. This winter, two horses have been hit and killed by cars. The governor just signed a law that makes it illegal for groups or individuals to video tape what goes on in businesses that process animals. There just seems to be a devil may care attitude regarding attitude regarding the treatment of animals.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:09 PM

6 posts, read 8,941 times
I live in Nampa and I really love it. I was down at Winco in Boise the other day near Julia Davis and it feels like a different world than what we've got in Nampa. In Boise there's hobos sitting on the sidewalks talking to themselves but in Nampa we just don't have any of that.

I love my Nampa small-town feel. I live between Middleton and Midland Rd. and I love my commute to work which includes two greenbelt stops where mom's walk with their 4 yr old's on trikes and runners hit the pavement first thing in the morning. I love taking my daughter to feed the ducks or a bike ride along the landscaped sidewalks along all the neighborhoods. I don't have to leave Nampa to get anything except for a shopping trip at the Village or the Boise Mall.

Oh wait, you want the bad stuff....

I do hate the winter inversion and the summer smoke. Winter's have gotten down to less than 0 degrees F and last summer it hung out at 109 degrees F for a few days. We didn't get out much during either. I hate some of my neighbors kids cussing in the street after dark but I guess they could be playing video games instead of playing so I shouldn't complain. It gets awful dry and yellow mid-summer around here but the trees are still green. And people don't know how to take their turn at a four way stop sign. That's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area