Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 05:42 AM

254 posts, read 341,085 times

Advertisements

Need your rating from 1 -10 (10 being best) if you had to choose between Bozeman and Boise for year round living as a retiree and fly fisherman.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 12:06 PM

541 posts, read 1,730,359 times
Boise has more to do then Bozeman. Bozeman, while nice (in my opinion), is in the middle of nowhere. You can feel kind of stuck. Once you leave, it is like hours to get to someplace else. Boise at least has some other towns and activities around it.

BOISE (8) Fly fishing from the myriad of rivers around Boise gives you a lot of options. You also are near many other cool attractions, like Hell's Canyon, the Snake River, and the ever impressive Columbia River! Northern Idaho has even more options for fishing.

BOZEMAN (6) Montana has great outdoor activities, especially to the west. Bozeman is on the cusp of being central/east Montana. It isn't in an area that is varied, though you are near the super Yellowstone National Park.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:25 AM

We have been to Bozeman several times and have fished many rivers in Montana. Yes, Bozeman is smaller alright but there are many fly fishing rivers nearby. Just not familiar with Boise in that regard but do like the diversity of the city as compared to the limitations of Bozeman.

Based on my research it appears we would have more road time out of Boise to get to some better rivers. The cost of living is less that also includes housing as compared to Bozeman.

Well, we will be visiting Boise in June as part of our retirement research at which time make a decision.

Thanks for the response!

Old 04-22-2014, 03:39 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,181 times
I've never been to Bozeman, but I imagine the winters will be much milder in Boise.

Idaho has some of the most famous blue-ribbon trout water in the country. If you're into warmwater fish or carp, we have those too. I fish a lot, but not fly fishing so I don't think I could give a rating. Idaho Angler is the local fly shop in Boise. Why not give them a call?

Idaho Angler

Old 04-22-2014, 07:27 AM

Yes, the fly shop in Boise is on my agenda for when we visit in June so thank you for the recommendation. It just appears the better fly fishing would be the Big Wood, Silver Creek for closer and for using my drift boat the south Fork of the Boise River but based on my likings, I will have to head to the South Fork of the Snake and Henry's Fork for staying in Idaho.
I really am a wade fly fisherman and prefer smaller rivers and use my drift boat to get to point A to B and get out to hit the waters. I guess I am a spoiled SW Montana fisherman as my favorite river is the Big Hole and the Madison along with Rock Creek, Blackfoot, etc...

Thank you!

Old 04-22-2014, 09:05 PM

I'd definitely recommend stopping in. While I don't fly fish, I do make hand tied j-i-g-s (seriously, why is that word blocked?) so I've in several times to buy materials. I don't like buying natural materials like hair and feathers online because the quality can vary so much. They've always treated me very well, even though I use conventional gear.

Since you're retired and don't need to live close to employment, you may want to look at some of the cities in the eastern part of the state. Living around Rexburg would put you right next to Henry's Fork, and you would be within easy driving distance of the streams and headwaters in the backwoods areas of Yellowstone, Grand Teton and the surrounding wilderness.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:33 PM

We need to be in either Boise or Bozeman for easier flights to Seattle to see the children and grandchildren. In addition, this older retired cop wants to work part time in some sort of security work and maybe at airport. My wife wants to work part time as an x-ray tech too. We are in our late fifties so it will be difficult enough to find some work.
The plan is to visit Boise in June and look at the city in many aspects and compare the two. Boise being bigger and having more "city" things to do and Bozeman more outdoor activities including close by fly fishing. The two places have different things to offer but I believe Boise will be better even through we would have to travel to get in some good fishing.
The winters appear to be milder in Boise and that is a concern. The older you get the cold weather is not good on my older bones and having to deal with snow all the time wears you down.
I also believe Boise will be more conservative than Bozeman as this is a good thing. I hope so in that we lived in Seattle for 30 years and I couldn't take the liberal minded another day!
An example was when our son joined the Marine Corp at 17.5 and our neighbor said, "How can you let him do that!!!!" That was in 05' and after he did so we moved to Ellensburg, WA (eastern Washington) for 6 years and commuted 110 miles one way just to get away from all that!! It was worth it.
So, we are hoping Boise meets our expectations.
I appreciate the reply!

Old 04-23-2014, 12:00 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
Default Try to Attend the Annual Fly Fishing Convention in Idaho Falls

anjcohen,

If you don't find what you are looking for in Boise or Bozeman, there are other cities around.

Regardless of where you live, do you subscribe to the fly fishing magazine published in Idaho Falls? If not, here's the link. It's considered highly by many fly-fishermen and women. I believe the issue showing is titled something like Fishing with Pops.

Here's the link for the Fly Fishing Convention, this weekend. East Idaho Fly Tying Expo | This one might be a little easier to see. Get it on your calendar for next year. Fishing Forum : Idaho Fishing Forum: Idaho Fishing General: 2014 East Idaho Fly Tying Expo - Idaho Falls, ID

And this is a link to the local Fly Fishing Club in Idaho Falls. I suspect plenty of members could give you detailed "fish stories" about Bozeman to Boise.

http://www.orgsites.com/id/seidahoflyfishers/

Good luck.

MSR

Old 04-23-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjcohen View Post
I also believe Boise will be more conservative than Bozeman as this is a good thing. I hope so in that we lived in Seattle for 30 years and I couldn't take the liberal minded another day!
An example was when our son joined the Marine Corp at 17.5 and our neighbor said, "How can you let him do that!!!!" That was in 05' and after he did so we moved to Ellensburg, WA (eastern Washington) for 6 years and commuted 110 miles one way just to get away from all that!! It was worth it.
So, we are hoping Boise meets our expectations.
I appreciate the reply!
Well then, I have bad news for you. Boise has several districts that vote blue consistently and the Democrats are very active in getting out the vote on the local level. There's also a large young adult population because of BSU, and young people tend to be more liberal minded. Just because the state is red don't assume the whole state is red. Like most states, the more liberal types tend to live in the urban areas and Boise is the urban area in Idaho. Most people are not going to make a big deal about politics, but if you're expecting Boise to be a conservative enclave you're going to be disappointed.

I'm originally from Federal Way, and while I consider myself a moderate most conservatives types would probably think of me as a liberal.

Last edited by Hesster; 04-23-2014 at 12:57 AM..

Old 04-23-2014, 09:02 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
I have several friends here in Boise who are in to fly fishing big time, they usually hit the Wood River Valley (Silver Creek--one of the best in the world, and the Big Wood River), the South Fork of the Boise, the Boise River right in town is also popular for fly fishing (not very many cities can claim a fly fishing river right in their limits), the Snake River south of Boise, the Snake in Hells Canyon, the Owyhee in early season, and the Salmon rivers up in the McCall area.

Here is some more info:
Best fishing locations database in the Boise area | Idaho Statesman

Roger Phillips: Wild trout thriving and multiplying in Boise River | Roger Phillips | Idahostatesman.com

Boise's also been given a lot of love in magazines ranking top outdoor adventure cities.

Boise, Idaho - National Geographic Adventure Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area