Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 08:46 PM

22 posts, read 23,750 times

Advertisements

Few questions from a new poster I am single, female, (congrats BB2012), 45, work from home on computer mostly and seeking a rental in an area of Boise that is quiet, has hiking nearby, as I can drive outside of rush hour I'm not too concerned about being in the city proper but close enough that I can do things. I am nearly vegan and want to be close to healthy food stores (coops, whole foods, trader joes) and I teach yoga/ meditation and alternative health at times so if there is a more holistic area (for instance Evanston is known this way in IL) love to know.

I don't want to be near drugs, meth or pot as that was a huge problem when I lived in CA (not from there either, just lived there a few years).

Moving out of Tucson due to the extreme heat. I'm from WI and Chicago so I know cold, I think I can handle a couple of months of colder weather, I am a little concerned about the hot summers, does it cool off at night? Blessings and thank you all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 10:18 PM

127 posts, read 140,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
Orig. poster here, I LOVE IDAHO!

It's everything I'd hoped, and more.

Even found my future husband. ;-)
Congratulations! I love Idaho as well. This place just makes me smile.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:07 AM

5,585 posts, read 5,013,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosherry View Post
Congratulations! I love Idaho as well. This place just makes me smile.
So do you guys have problems with finding parking, waiting in long lines wherever you shop and finding parking? Doctor offices booked up for months? All of this because of over population problem?

Trader Joes is always a challenge to find parking here.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:46 PM

127 posts, read 140,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Doctor offices booked up for months? All of this because of over population problem?
Considering my husband is a doctor and he took a job here to solve this very problem, I would say our move was a benefit to the state of Idaho who has the second lowest doctors per capital problem in the US after Mississippi. Idaho doesn't have a medical school and a very low number of medical residencies. It really has nothing to do with overpopulation, but more to do with these facts, but continue to scapegoat outsiders, if that makes you sleep better at night.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:47 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
Orig. poster here, I LOVE IDAHO!

It's everything I'd hoped, and more.

Even found my future husband. ;-)
Too cool. All that and romance too!

Old 02-26-2017, 07:27 PM

745 posts, read 1,284,828 times
Happy to the see the OP found home and love.

Am curious did ex-Californians find better Chinese food (or any food) in Boise in the last couple of years since the OP posted?

Old 02-27-2017, 12:20 PM

229 posts, read 707,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
Am curious did ex-Californians find better Chinese food (or any food) in Boise in the last couple of years since the OP posted?
I've read positive things about Red Pavilion in Meridian (opened in 2016) but to ask for the secret menu. Apparently there are options not available on the regular menu, but it isn't completely different from the regular one either. Whatever offerings that are similar between the two menus are prepared more for Chinese (or arguably Californian) palates as opposed to Boise palates. As the focus is on Szechuan cuisine, that'll mean the spice level will be higher. Since Boise seemed very spice-phobic to me (a minor gripe of mine about living in the area was an overall aversion to spice and heat in restaurant food), I think this secret menu is secret for a good reason.

I would've happily patronized a place like this that offers more authentic offerings and renditions even if the food quality might not have necessarily matched the quality at Chinese restaurants in bigger cities on the west coast.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:31 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
Happy to the see the OP found home and love.

Here is an article dated last summer from Zagat that gives an idea of the dining scene in Boise which is pretty impressive.

The scene here grows and evolves each year and we have several establishments opened by refugees, so this small city has a global restaurant scene to eat through.

https://www.zagat.com/b/must-try-res...-boise-idaho#1

I'm looking forward to this new restaurant opening downtown later this spring:

Paddles Up Poké / Boise, Idaho

Old 02-28-2017, 08:42 PM

661 posts, read 833,425 times
Default good question, cool off on summer nights?

Does it cool off on the summer nights? A breeze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happytobehere789 View Post
I am a little concerned about the hot summers, does it cool off at night? Blessings and thank you all!!

Old 03-01-2017, 09:14 AM

88 posts, read 213,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzalugano View Post
Does it cool off on the summer nights? A breeze?
Actually no, it doesn't until well into the night time. This will be an adjustment if you lived near the coast as there is no marine layer to cool the temps down. If you look at temperature history you'll see the days continue to get warmer into the evening most of the summer. The closest temp comparison I had experience with was in Fresno or Redding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area