Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:14 AM

122 posts, read 229,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyee3 View Post

If you aren't moving up to be Jane Farmer, Rancher, or Hobby Agriculturalist, then you might be a homeowner who gets their garden/lawn water from a pressurized, non-chlorinated system. It is separate from your household water. This is a good thing since you don't end up paying city rates for your garden. This garden water comes from an ID, but your HOA pays the dues and builds it into your HOA dues. The difference might be about $20/mo v. $200/mo. Plus, in most cities your sewer bill is based on your household water use, so you'll avoid that. So, moral is- when thinking of buying a house ask about garden water. Most of the newer subdivisions are generally dual system. Out here in Meridian this is the case.
Great explanation, thank you!

I hear that great Chinese food is hard to come by, how about Thai? Or is that pushing my luck? I'm coming from the Seattle area and Thai food is big here and I'm an addict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 08:26 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianX View Post

I hear that great Chinese food is hard to come by, how about Thai? Or is that pushing my luck? I'm coming from the Seattle area and Thai food is big here and I'm an addict.
There are actually some really good Thai restaurants in Boise and Sa-Wad-Dee in Meridian is one of my favorites. My favorite for Chinese is Yen Ching in downtown and they have dim sum on their menu. There's also a new Korean restaurant on Broadway which is tasty and another restaurant is opening soon on Orchard Street which will also have Korean on the menu.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:51 PM

229 posts, read 707,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianX View Post

IMO I think you'll be fine with Thai and Vietnamese around here (Vietnamese seems to be the largest Asian group here). I don't know if you're used to Thai restaurants being open until 3 or 4 AM like where I grew up, but that won't happen here. Chinese and Japanese is going to be much more spotty depending on where you go and what you order. As Syringaloid mentioned, Korean is here again. But if you're used to Korean BBQ, this place is more like Korean BBQ on training wheels. You can't grill your meat at the table (though I've been told that's a state issue), and the owner has inexplicably left out all of the wonderful side dishes (banchan) that typically come with a Korean BBQ save for some slivers of kimchi. I'm actually offended by that, and I'm not even Korean! And the pricing is comparable to AYCE places in the big cities, so I think we're getting a raw deal. They have other traditional Korean dishes there, and I'd go for those instead.

The place on Orchard is open already, but it's more of a Korean/Japanese hybrid. The more traditional and less-offered Japanese dishes that were made at the prior restaurant there are gone and have been replaced by a combination of stock Japanese offerings like at every other Japanese restaurant in town plus very basic Korean beef dishes and spicy ramyeon.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:19 PM

213 posts, read 343,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
Sunflowers...me too, on the convincing a few family members to move, that would be wonderful! My adult daughter will follow me after a year-ish. Meanwhile, I am a fairly nice, decent person, so am hoping to make friends easily. BTW, do you garden? My hobby, and passion is gardening!! I've visited twice so far, and fell in love with the flora and fauna.
I garden when I can. A north facing balcony and little hands abound have made me pass this year.

When I house hunt, I'm always looking for homes with .25 acre or more, so I can have a large bountiful garden again.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:24 PM

719 posts, read 1,567,479 times
Speaking of Vietnamese, if you like Banh Mi there's a good place called called Baguette Deli in the Fred Meyer on Franklin and Orchard. Big sandwiches for under $4 and they're really good with very fresh ingredients. I think I read the bread is made at from one of the Asian supermarkets along Orchard, where there are quite a few ethnic restaurants and stores. It can get busy but is usually pretty fast.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:55 PM

447 posts, read 652,011 times
Are you happy you moved?
To boise yes away from boise back to california where I am now not so much

How did you find a reliable mover, and what was the approximate cost? Only ever had one to move from boise to california my family when we moved (I was seven years old) packed ourselves and left norcal

Did you have a job to go to, or made the move in hopes of finding something once there? My folks moved with no jobs just some savings and family help and they opened a business within a year that supported us for two decades nearly. Jobs are easy to find as I've found the two times I've returned from other moves lol

Utility costs - summer and winter? Cheap. We had a 5000 sq ft house and never topped 300 a month I do that easily in cali in a house half the size

Are you living in a home with an irrigation district? We had capitol water it was very cheap 30 or less a month but I've had houses in boise that could set me back $300 if I watered during summer for green grass

Really...would appreciate any knowledge you are willing to share, I've done my own research but there is nothing like hearing from others who have actually made the move!

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!

I do agree with boisefan that to some extent californians are causing problems for natives especially in housing the city is nowhere near as cheap as it once was

Old 05-23-2014, 09:38 PM

285 posts, read 540,972 times
Default Moving hints

How did you find a reliable mover, and what was the approximate cost?

The Allied Van company here (Peasley) is good and reliable. We used them when we called and asked if/when they would have a load coming from Boise to where we were. That way they could take us as a return load and store it for a few days since we would be delayed getting to town. Worked like a charm as they could come about when we needed them.

Cost? That is so dependent on weight and distance, I can't try and estimate. Get two bids from two companies. Also sell/donate/gift anything you don't need and buy a replacement up here. Everyone we know always moves stuff that they never should have brought and paid a buck a pound to move.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:59 AM

731 posts, read 958,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyee3 View Post
How did you find a reliable mover, and what was the approximate cost?

The Allied Van company here (Peasley) is good and reliable. We used them when we called and asked if/when they would have a load coming from Boise to where we were. That way they could take us as a return load and store it for a few days since we would be delayed getting to town. Worked like a charm as they could come about when we needed them.

Cost? That is so dependent on weight and distance, I can't try and estimate. Get two bids from two companies. Also sell/donate/gift anything you don't need and buy a replacement up here. Everyone we know always moves stuff that they never should have brought and paid a buck a pound to move.

Hope this helps.
Yes, thanks! I will contact Peasley and other moving co's. in ID and inquire as that is (them taking my stuff back from someone's move here) is an excellent idea and one I hadn't thought of.

Plan on selling much of what I now have, most can be easily replaced for less, or not much more than it's current value. Several nice furniture items I will keep, but few. Am doing small, relatively inexpensive upgrades/repairs on my current home in anticipation of selling.

Hoping to rent a 2-bdrm. 1 bath for about 6-12 months in Boise, Meridian or Eagle while I get basics done; job search, register car, etc. Then will look for a home. Hoping to find about 2,000 sqft., one story on .20 to .30 acre, 3 car garage, mature landscaping in a relatively quite neighborhood...but am flexible. Low-ish HOA ($250 or less yearly) and Homeowner except taxes of $2K or less yearly. Picky sh*t aren't I? LOL

I've seen some home listings that list "paid for water filtration" and am wondering if there are areas where that is necessary due to poor water quality?

And, how "stable" are most HOA's in terms of value and prices increases?

I can't say enough how much I appreciated people's kindess in providing answer or their thoughts on my many questions! There is only so much I can learn via on-line research on my own, hearing it from locals is invaluable!!

Old 05-25-2014, 04:01 PM

285 posts, read 540,972 times
HOA dues can be low to high. Ours run about $450 per year and are stable. Most HOAs will be stable if the Subdiv. is built out already. Even for newish Subdiv's., the dues are usually based on what the full build out will be in terms of number of houses. We don't have a pool or activity center like some do.

Water filters" We don't need one, but it will depend where the domestic water is coming from. Water is pretty good here, taste-wise, but ask when you are looking at a house. Also remember about asking how the yard gets it's water.

Taxes may be higher than your desired $2K, but it will depend on your Appraised value. Has anyone mentioned the Homeowner's exemption? Right now you will get about $83K of assessed value forgiven. So you don't pay taxes on that amount. BUT, you need to close before April 15 of any year for it to be in effect. Close after that date and you get to pay prop taxes on the full value until next tax year.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:57 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times
yep looks like home prices are climbing and becoming out of reach for the lower to middle class there in Boise..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area