U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:46 AM

85 posts, read 270,957 times

Advertisements

If you were to pick a place in the area that you could live to avoid , or at least lessen,the effect of the air quality when there is inversion OR burning issues, where would it be?? What part of the Boise area?/ IN the mountains? etc?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 12:28 PM

863 posts, read 2,814,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball6 View Post
If you were to pick a place in the area that you could live to avoid , or at least lessen,the effect of the air quality when there is inversion OR burning issues, where would it be?? What part of the Boise area?/ IN the mountains? etc?
Inversion = Is air pollution caused by the foothills trapping the air movement and air quality suffers until the next storm or front. The further you get away from the foothills, the less it becomes a problem. (Notice I said "less".) I believe it's not accurate to say you could live in Boise/Meridian and avoid the inversion. I'm not sure how broad your idea of the Boise "area" is.

Smoke = In the Treasure Valley Boise area it can be from Idaho fires, but also comes from Eastern Washington, the Southwest states, Alaska, Canada and recently from the NW Territories. With many variables, it "can" impact airquality over any part of the state. //www.city-data.com/forum/idaho...und-cda-2.html

NOW, all said this sounds bad, most of the time it's not. It does impact some people more than others and it can linger for a week or more. It's just REALLY noticeable when it's not so good and people talk about it...A LOT! Me, meh, like the weather, it is what it is!

This is just my 2 cents!

Last edited by zoso1979; 07-22-2014 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 07-22-2014, 12:41 PM

8,047 posts, read 26,658,251 times
The inversions settle in the valley. So the only way to get away is to live way up the mountain. If you live high enough (not the foothills, I'm talking about way up in the mountains, where very few actually live), you'll have clean winter air. However, living in the mountains puts you in prime wildfire country. I don't think you can escape both.

I do think the air tends to be slightly cleaner in Ada county than Canyon county, but that is just my opinion, not based on any actual facts.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:23 PM

75 posts, read 146,565 times
How about living in Star. would that be better. for the inversions, we have a lot of inversion in the Inland Empire. Calif. it awful sometime. the sky looks brown, and it kind of smells. LA is worst. so I think I can live with inversions in Boise.:]

Old 07-23-2014, 09:27 PM

186 posts, read 217,107 times
By "refugees", do you mean the hordes of illegal aliens from south of the border?

I've seen what they've done to the area I live in and I don't want them anywhere near my next home!!! I'm reminded of a line from the 1988 movie "Betrayed", in which the ring leader's mother says "The bad pushes-out the good"...

Old 07-23-2014, 10:00 PM
CTC

666 posts, read 1,345,392 times
My family is from Boise originally-inversions in the winter can get really bad. My Grandmother had asthma, and would be house bound for weeks at a time during the Winter,

I think things have gotten better however, wood stove/fire place bans during inversions have really helped. Still Boise is not famous for good air quality.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:39 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw2016 View Post
By "refugees", do you mean the hordes of illegal aliens from south of the border?

I've seen what they've done to the area I live in and I don't want them anywhere near my next home!!! I'm reminded of a line from the 1988 movie "Betrayed", in which the ring leader's mother says "The bad pushes-out the good"...

Nope. They are from the other side of the world. Google and you will find a lot of information online. If Path2Here feels like refugees being placed in Boise is a Con then I hope Path2Here considers taking his or her bigoted views elsewhere. I have a hard time taking anything path stated as cons seriously after reading that comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area