Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 01:32 PM

55 posts, read 151,472 times

Advertisements

Also, in regards to the comment of Idaho being a low wage state....would that have much impact on the Boise area since it seems that the median household income is 45K? I don't consider that low on average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 08:41 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,692,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looktotheson View Post
Also, in regards to the comment of Idaho being a low wage state....would that have much impact on the Boise area since it seems that the median household income is 45K? I don't consider that low on average.
Boise definitely has higher wages than the rest of the state but also a higher cost of living. Also, there's large divide in wages; most are making either well below $45k or well above $45k. There's a lack of solid middle-class jobs.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:12 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,856,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Boise definitely has higher wages than the rest of the state but also a higher cost of living. Also, there's large divide in wages; most are making either well below $45k or well above $45k. There's a lack of solid middle-class jobs.
Sadly, this mirrors a national trend. Hopefully the tide begins to turn.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:39 PM

According to some data I pulled on the census website, it shows ~50% of population makes above 50K. About 36% in the 35K-75K range. That doesn't seem too bad and is only slightly off from the stats on Houston. I heard at one point in time some considered Boise to be a growing center for technology centers, but then I heard some of them left. Anyone familiar with how this currently stands?

Old 08-27-2014, 02:36 PM

719 posts, read 1,557,762 times
Boise doesn't have a lot of lower skilled jobs where you can make good money. But many people do well running their own businesses or in working in professional fields - there's decent money to be made in IT, accounting, law, etc.

As far as safety goes, look up how Ada County compares nationally and you'll see that it's extremely safe here. There are occasional issues like you would have anywhere a half million people live together, but relatively speaking it's extremely safe.

As far as the cookie cutter houses go, that's sort of what you get when you have such explosive growth in the recent past. Your budget will have an impact on that too - the less you spend the more cookie cutter the neighborhoods tend to be.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:59 PM

863 posts, read 2,982,239 times
Quote:
That's 2 people making $10.82 per hour.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:08 PM

Okay, thanks guys for all your input. I have looked at the crime stats and according to them, Boise looks very favorable. I believe I will need another trip in the future to explore further.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:36 PM

863 posts, read 2,982,239 times
Quote:
Okay, thanks guys for all your input. I have looked at the crime stats and according to them, Boise looks very favorable. I believe I will need another trip in the future to explore further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area