Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 07:46 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,one of the very few things I actually love about my area,besides all the wonderful European foods available,is the fabulous fish from Lake Erie,such as White Bass,Yellow Perch and Walleye.

I really can't stand fishy-tasting fish,so are there any mild fish,I could enjoy there?

Have just started considering Boise as my dream destination to escape the hot humid summers and frigid winters of northern Ohio.

I was born in northern ID-Kellogg and our family vacationed almost every summer in the Spokane/Kellogg,and Montana area,plus lived in Spokane from about age 6-8 and my Dad retired from the AF there,so I know that I don't like the winters there.

The winters sound much milder in Boise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 01:50 PM

Wow 32 views,but not a single answer? Guess Idaho must only have 'fishy-tasting' fish!

Old 09-10-2014, 02:11 PM

719 posts, read 1,567,948 times
Hey it's the northwest - Salmon is king out here. You haven't lived 'till you've had good fresh smoked salmon. It isn't a real mild whitefish, though.

Here's a good overview on fish in Idaho:

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/...tification.pdf

You can buy any sort of fish too, of course. Costco has a good selection of wild caught individually wrapped fish. We tend to buy Pacific Cod and Mahi the most, plus a little wild shrimp. They generally have wild sockeye too though we more often get Salmon through other means.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
I haven't caught them myself in Idaho, but I do know that they have Walleye. I caught and ate some in Wyoming, and they are definitely a white, flaky, but mild freshwater fish. They are not native here but there are some in WA, limited to the far eastern parts of the state.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:38 PM

276 posts, read 644,214 times
Northern Pike are what I would consider mild tasting, but they are very bony.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:05 PM

131 posts, read 197,788 times
Rainbow trout and farm raised tilapia.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:33 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,637,042 times
Are you talking about fish you can buy, or fish you catch? If you're talking about buying, we have pretty much any commercially available fish. Halibut, sole, cod etc. I've heard the Great Lakes have commercial fisheries for some species, but that's not the case here. If you want yellow perch or walleye you'll need to buy a fishing license and catch them.

Yellow perch live in many of the reservoirs around Boise and in the Snake River. We also have crappie and channel catfish. I have caught cats up to 12 pounds out of the Snake. During warm weather the larger cats can have a fishy or muddy taste, but you can get rid of it by bleeding the fish, cutting out the red fatty meat and soaking the fillets overnight in water with a bit of salt. A few waters have walleye, but they are a long way from Boise.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:20 AM

Now that's more like it,lol! GREAT responses,thank you!

Have to say Halibut has a special place in my heart,because I totally hated fish until my sister and B-I-L gave me some of theirs once when we were eating out together.I couldn't believe that there was such a fine tasting fish!

Yes,I know how many love salmon.That same BIL smoked some and I tried it,but no thank you... the more I chewed~ the stronger and fishier it tasted,so I had to spit it out!
I have a daughter and grandson who love Salmon fixed any way it can be fixed.

IdaD~ Thank you so much for the overview on fish in Idaho: and the info on buying the fish I would like.Haven't tried Mahi yet,but have been told that it is wonderful.

Hemlock140~ Yes Walleye is yummy.My late husband used to catch them by 'trolling' in a boat and he said it was like dragging a log on your line!

KurtAngleDoesn'tSuck~ Because of all the bones,I believe I will forgo the Northern Pike,but that's is good info to know,thanks!

burbsgrrl~ I have had pecan crusted Tilapia at a Golden Corral Buffet here,and loved it.

Hesster~ Actually I did mean both,fish to catch, and able to find in the stores and restaurants. I do know the PNW has fabulous Jumbo shrimp,called prawns there.
Thank you for the info on being able to fish for Yellow Perch.

Very helpful info everyone, and I appreciate it.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:02 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,637,042 times
Lake Cascade and C.J. Strike both put out nice perch. Cascade is in the mountains about an hour and a half north of Boise and freezes in winter, so people catch a lot of them ice fishing. The state record yellow perch got broken a couple of times there last winter. Strike about an hour's drive to the southeast and while it froze during cold snaps over the last two winters that's unusual.

I have never fished Cascade for perch, but I did see a dead perch floating on top of the water at Strike that had to be 14". It was so huge it looked like a walleye.

Here's a pic of one of the record breakers from Cascade:

Old 09-11-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Lake Cascade and C.J. Strike both put out nice perch. Cascade is in the mountains about an hour and a half north of Boise and freezes in winter, so people catch a lot of them ice fishing. The state record yellow perch got broken a couple of times there last winter. Strike about an hour's drive to the southeast and while it froze during cold snaps over the last two winters that's unusual.

I have never fished Cascade for perch, but I did see a dead perch floating on top of the water at Strike that had to be 14". It was so huge it looked like a walleye.

Here's a pic of one of the record breakers from Cascade:

Wow that would be great for a fish fry.Love them dipped in flour,then egg-wash then cracker crumbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area