Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 07:24 PM

207 posts, read 442,073 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are going to be relocating to Idaho in the next couple of weeks now and will stay with friends for a couple of weeks. Does anyone know any really cheap yet safe place for a family with 2 kids? We would really like to have a washer/dryer or hookup or have a laundromat very nearby, but other than that we really just need somewhere to live asap. Any suggestions? Our last places were around $450 a month plus utilities, and we've seen some in our previous area for $600 including utilities. Would Garden City be safe for us, or Caldwell? Someone told me to avoid Mountain Home because of crime, but I'm not sure what to think. I just don't want us to be in a bad area, but we are REALLY on a very tight budget until we get there, then things will even out for us.
We've been looking on Craigslist, but maybe we are just not seeing all there is there since only a small portion of people actually list there - does that seem like it would be true?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 08:59 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,774,804 times
Red face Cheap but safe - I think that's an oxymoron

//www.city-data.com/forum/36353493-post1.html

Okay I'm referencing one of your recent posts so that folks can get a better idea of who you are and what you're looking for. Everybody has a different idea of what is safe and affordable. Your price range seems extremely low for 4 people, especially including utilities and the fact that you both homeschool your children and work from home, which increases your consumption greatly.

Craigslist (CL) is your best bet, but since you have friends in the area, I would ask them also. I check out CL all the time and I see rooms in private homes for 1 person in the Boise area for the amount you want for a family of 4, so I think you are going to be hard pressed to find something easily that is both safe and in your price range.

Not sure you mentioned in any prior posts, but how do you expect to rent without having a job? Maybe you will qualify for assistance having children??? Don't know for sure, but I think there are a lot of folks hurting in Boise financially as I am seeing quite a few foreclosures online. Good luck!

Last edited by HDL; 09-11-2014 at 10:27 PM..

Old 09-11-2014, 11:30 PM

207 posts, read 442,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/36353493-post1.html

Okay I'm referencing one of your recent posts so that folks can get a better idea of who you are and what you're looking for. Everybody has a different idea of what is safe and affordable. Your price range seems extremely low for 4 people, especially including utilities and the fact that you both homeschool your children and work from home, which increases your consumption greatly.

Craigslist (CL) is your best bet, but since you have friends in the area, I would ask them also. I check out CL all the time and I see rooms in private homes for 1 person in the Boise area for the amount you want for a family of 4, so I think you are going to be hard pressed to find something easily that is both safe and in your price range.

Not sure you mentioned in any prior posts, but how do you expect to rent without having a job? Maybe you will qualify for assistance having children??? Don't know for sure, but I think there are a lot of folks hurting in Boise financially as I am seeing quite a few foreclosures online. Good luck!
Hi HDL,

The price range I have in mind is not that unreasonable considering some of the prices for Caldwell and Mountain Home, but until I am physically there it is difficult to really know anything about the area. For now, this would be for 1 adult and 2 kids, and a short-term lease is fine while we get established.

I will ask my friends of course, and I will keep looking on CL as well. My only concern with private rooms is the kids keeping others in the home awake if they are too loud during the night (we have a little one).

I never said I do not have a job - I work from home and don't want to be 'house-poor' right off the bat after we move. We are going through many transitions - especially a move across the country - so we are trying to keep expenses as absolutely low as possible until we get settled into the area and until we can better decide which area suits our needs. As you probably know, moving can be extremely expensive anyway, and we have many other things we have to pay for in addition to housing.

I was hoping someone might be able to suggest a duplex/multiplex or apartment complex that might not advertise much in the papers or on Craigslist that they may have previously lived in. I know in our previous area that was the case (as in every city I would assume) - sometimes you just see owners putting a 'for rent' sign outside and that's the end of their advertising (nothing online).

Thank you for your response and wishes of luck!

Old 09-12-2014, 09:33 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,405,061 times
Craigslist is the best place online locally for single family/duplexes. That is the only place we advertise online other than our own website. I think apartment.com or rental.com or something for apartments (we don't manage any apartment buildings, so I'm not familiar with where they advertise). Other than that, your choices are to drive around looking for signs.

To me, your idea of "very cheap" is unrealistic for the Boise/Meridian area. Our 2 bedroom units rent for $650-$1000 right now. The ones at under $800 almost never come available, because the people in them stay for years and years. Nampa/Caldwell/Mountain Home might be possibilities for under $800. I'm not familiar with rent prices out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area