Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,782 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family and I (husband and 2 small kids) are thinking of relocating to the Boise, Nampa, Meridian, Caldwell area. I went to Nampa on a business trip about 9 years ago and was impressed with the city. When my husband finally got to a snapping point about living in so cal, I mentioned Nampa to him and after some research he quickly agreed. We are planning a visit in January or February to make sure we can handle the winters. We are spoiled in CA with weather, but let me tell you some things we cannot take any longer:

1. Traffic
2. Crime
3. Drugs/gangs/thugs
4. Cost of living

My husband and I feel like we are killing ourselves just to make ends meet, and we are sacrificing time with our kids. We want a slower pace. We are fairly outdoorsy and like to hike, fish, camp and boat. I would like to let my kids ride their bikes around the neighborhood, something I cannot do here. My husband and I are both natives of So Cal but it is not the same place to grow up. He has lived no where else, I have lived in AZ and TX.

We are caucasian, not particularly political (except to say we do not like the politics in CA) and we are Christian, but not bible beaters. I am bringing my uncle with us to live, he is 67 and lives on a small fixed income in Vegas right now. I will also say that we would be assimilating into ID culture, not trying to make a mini Los Angeles, we really want to leave that lifestyle behind.

Any advise is appreciated!

Thanks,
Amanda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 11:56 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,260 times
What do you want to know?

I'd say every 3rd person here is from California, so there's that....

Old 10-14-2014, 07:50 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,305 times
Relatively speaking your higher crime area in the Treasure Valley is Canyon County (Nampa, Caldwell), so you might consider something more in the Boise/Meridian/Eagle area. But that isn't to say that Canyon County is a mini Riverside or anything, because relative to national standards it's also quite safe. But there is more crime and more of a gang presence there for sure. I think you're smart to visit first, and in the winter if that's the part of the climate you're concerned about.

I wouldn't say quite 1 in 3 people are from California, but there are a lot around for sure. I think it's definitely true that the majority of people here are from someplace else originally, including a lot from rural Idaho and all surrounding states.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,782 times
Thank you for your reply boisefan88. I mostly want to know what the winters are really like, and overall if we are going to fit in. Having travelled to other parts of the country, I realize that us in CA are different from the rest of the US.

Thanks IdaD. I appreciate the distinction that it is not a mini Riverside, that would defeat the purpose of moving!

Yes, we know the summers will be fine, but snow and ice will be new. My kids are thrilled about that part.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:30 PM

276 posts, read 644,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandasparks View Post
My husband and I feel like we are killing ourselves just to make ends meet, and we are sacrificing time with our kids. We want a slower pace.
After three years in Boise, this is about how I feel about it.
I've resolved that the next place I live will not have an Interstate running through it.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:21 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandasparks View Post
Thank you for your reply boisefan88. I mostly want to know what the winters are really like, and overall if we are going to fit in. Having travelled to other parts of the country, I realize that us in CA are different from the rest of the US.

Thanks IdaD. I appreciate the distinction that it is not a mini Riverside, that would defeat the purpose of moving!

Yes, we know the summers will be fine, but snow and ice will be new. My kids are thrilled about that part.
Don't expect to see a lot of snow. Northern and eastern Idaho get a lot, but the Treasure Valley maybe gets a couple of inches and it usually melts within a day or two. Some winters it never snows at all.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:27 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Don't expect to see a lot of snow. Northern and eastern Idaho get a lot, but the Treasure Valley maybe gets a couple of inches and it usually melts within a day or two. Some winters it never snows at all.
That's not true at all.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:41 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,568 times
What's not true at all? That northern and eastern Idaho get a lot more snow than Boise? Or that the Treasure Valley doesn't get a lot of snow and has none at all in some winters?

Maybe if you're talking about up in the foothills or at Bogus Basin, yeah they get a fairly substantial amount that sticks around. But down in the valley and around Nampa? No.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:58 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
What's not true at all? That northern and eastern Idaho get a lot more snow than Boise? Or that the Treasure Valley doesn't get a lot of snow and has none at all in some winters?

Maybe if you're talking about up in the foothills or at Bogus Basin, yeah they get a fairly substantial amount that sticks around. But down in the valley and around Nampa? No.
Boise averages about 20" of snowfall a year. You are correct that it tends not to stick around long, aside from inversions when even a few inches can last weeks cause it never gets above freezing. I honestly can't recall a winter where we didn't get any snow at all.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:29 PM

447 posts, read 651,903 times
idaho doesn't get much snow compared to some places especially boise I think once in my nearly twenty years in boise I saw close to a foot of snow most of the time its a few inches. I think its nice really but I grew up with it. Biggest problem with winters is they can be cold but if you dress properly its not so bad. Life in boise and I say this only having not lived in the area for months at a time the last few years is slow paced by many city standards certainly when you get on the outskirts and start commuting in you can have that country thing going on. Compared to living somewhere without an interstate? Not so much there were times when I was overwhelmed by the number of people and traffic which is why I like the small town I'm living in at the moment (in california no less) but I'd move back to boise in a heart beat all the same the place is in my blood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area