Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 11:36 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times

Advertisements

I disagree, NYC has always been that way...I am from there....online social networking does not work well in Seattle, and is still met with the same snobbery, and egoism, as it was when trying to meet people in person a time ago, even more so online. No one I know has luck with online dating in Seattle. NYC has always been an impersonal place due to its sheer size, and business environment. It was that way 30 years ago too. It is the collective soul of a people, more so than soley just the digital age. I would take the Seattle of 30 years ago, any day over the NYC of over 30 years ago. Just my opinion and view.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 11-06-2014 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 12:36 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Stop talking about each other and be more civil. Discuss the topic at hand.

This is very much a relocation-oriented site. So in the same way that you're allowed to speak your mind to a great degree about the problems that come with growth, people are free to post here without you "calling them out" just because they want to relocate here.

On the flipside, there ARE several problems associated with growth and to ignore them is unwise.

Further pugilistic posts (on any side of this issue) will be deleted and the poster issued an infraction and barred from this thread.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:54 PM

447 posts, read 652,011 times
california gets a bad deal with idahoans for the negative aspects I have met just as many folks from california in boise who are awesome people very kind intelligent and who mean well and do well for themselves and the city perhaps not always but they can assimilate if we help them do so my family moved in 96 stats show this is when californians really started coming to idaho and while we assimilated pretty well especially us kids my folks still have some californian tendencies.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:17 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Something else I'd like to point out...

"Californian" is a seriously nebulous term, oft misunderstood by those outside California. While there are several negative stereotypes, an archetype of a Californian could just as easily be something different. While there are 3.5 million people in Los Angeles, there are more people than that in the San Joaquin valley (called the "food basket of the world"), which produces 13% of the crops in the entire USA and has 4 million people. Or it could be someone from any one of hundreds of mountain/rural towns far from city lights and hustle. Or it could be someone from northern California from the gold rush towns to the coastal redwood towns.

The point I'm making is that people hear "Californian" and think "big city or at least suburban dweller expecting to turn every place they move into suburban Eagle or Meridian". But of 30 million people in California, probably 30% of those people are from places that don't fit the stereotype. I came to Idaho from a small ski resort community with 2500 people, no fast food, not even a traffic light in our town. When we moved here, Idahoans we met kept saying (over and over) "aren't you enjoying coming to a small town?" when in fact Sandpoint (and surrounds) is 4x larger than our "town", and has a LOT more politics AND governmental intrusion (on the local level) than where we came from.

So when I tell Californians to "assimilate" I'm only directing that at the 50-65% of them who are used to the sterile/crowded/impersonal/materialistic/me-first sort of suburban/urban areas. The rural third of Californians will fit right in almost immediately.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:05 AM

24 posts, read 34,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post

So when I tell Californians to "assimilate" I'm only directing that at the 50-65% of them who are used to the sterile/crowded/impersonal/materialistic/me-first sort of suburban/urban areas. The rural third of Californians will fit right in almost immediately.
California really should be two states.

There are huge differences between northern Cali and Southern Cali. Not only do Californians experience a small amount of discrimination in other states, but it happens within the state itself. Northern Californians typically look down upon Southern Californians and there have been several movements to break away from Southern California, unfortunately none of them have gathered enough steam to actually happen.

But your point is spot on, when we move to Boise, we will actually be moving to a bigger city than the one I live in now.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:17 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
I have highlighted from your post why people in Idaho or any other state for that matter don't like Californians. The more Californians move to Idaho the more Idaho will resemble California. The traffic, the culture, the architecture, the liberal politics, the pollution, the rudeness, etc. etc. etc. It's funny. People leave California because they hate the state for what it is and move to another state to get away. At the same time there are thousands of Californians right behind those that left. When you least expect it that new state Californians have moved to has become CALIFORNIA.

Growth isn't always good. I think natives are scared that their little paradise will be taken away. I do understand where you're coming from as it relates to developers catering to growth. If people in Idaho don't want it they should stop it. Land owners shouldn't sell out to developers- much less to outside developers.

-Cheers.
When the state taxes the property owner more than he makes in a year, most find it time to sell. Hard to beat growth when everyone around you has already sold.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:21 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Old news. Boise (and Idaho) has been a hot spot for relocating Californians for well over a decade.
Since 1972 Probably before, in my area ( valley county) we have aging hippies who settled here from California and a large amount came about this time. Land was cheap at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area