Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2014, 09:11 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times

Advertisements

It pretty much snowed for 24 hours straight Thursday and Friday. Temps are now in the single digits. Not supposed to get above freezing for the next few days. We got over 8" snow, which is a record, especially for this time of year. Pretty much shut the entire city down. Everything is ice right now.

First snows in Boise have been getting earlier and earlier the past few years. This is a good thing. But now we'll have to deal with snow and ice at least for the next week. I don't think many people were ready for it this early. I still have my deck furniture on my deck. Oops.

Hopefully it warms up and melts before winter really settles in by mid December. I have a lot of stuff I need to get done to prepare for the winter. It will be hard to deal with 4 straight months of this weather. It was only 2 weeks ago we had temps in the high 60s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 09:58 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
A long-timer told my husband yesterday that he had not seen anything like this since the 80's. And back then it was the norm.

I can't imagine living in it a hundred years ago, but since I live in the modern age, I love it.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:59 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,787,483 times
How's about some of you peeps posting pics ??? Give some of those out of state folks a glimpse into fall in Idaho !!! Sidewalks, driveways. sledding down hills, roads - we're NOT pic(ky) !!!

Old 11-15-2014, 02:17 PM

KTVB and the Statesman have good galleries.

The roads are still pure ice. Over 250 accidents reported yesterday. I walked to the store and saw some brave souls out bicycling... and one of them bit it. OUCH!

It's a beautiful day out, though. Way better this time of year with the bluebird sky, than having this weather with the inversion that never goes away.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:36 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
It pretty much snowed for 24 hours straight Thursday and Friday. Temps are now in the single digits. Not supposed to get above freezing for the next few days. We got over 8" snow, which is a record, especially for this time of year. Pretty much shut the entire city down. Everything is ice right now.

First snows in Boise have been getting earlier and earlier the past few years. This is a good thing. But now we'll have to deal with snow and ice at least for the next week. I don't think many people were ready for it this early. I still have my deck furniture on my deck. Oops.

Hopefully it warms up and melts before winter really settles in by mid December. I have a lot of stuff I need to get done to prepare for the winter. It will be hard to deal with 4 straight months of this weather. It was only 2 weeks ago we had temps in the high 60s.
Winter wonderland Bet it's beautiful. Wish I was living there. I'm so tired of the heat year round.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:10 PM

You say that now...

Seasons are great. I love them. But temps in the teens and below is not great by any stretch of the imagination. There's a reason snowbirding is a thing.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:47 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,938,777 times
So when things get like this with the snow and ice, do they do a good job maintaining the roads? One year when I was in Prescott, AZ they were putting stuff on the roads for the ice at 5 Am.
Does any thing close down in Boise when the weather gets this bad?
When I see this kind of weather so early, I think do I really want to move there again!! Here it's in the 60's and low 40's at night. But on the other hand Boise area is beautiful and has so much to offer and here all we have is the dirt and desert!! And no seasons. No place is perfect. It's just a decision that people need to make. What is more important in your life.
Oh one more thing, the people in Boise are much nicer and friendly then here!!

Old 11-16-2014, 01:59 PM

You have to know your personality and how you handle the seasons.

I know I don't like cloudy, gloomy days... so I won't live in the PNW no matter how amazingly beautiful it is.

Look, Boise is pretty awesome from late spring (May) through October... pretty constant sunny days with very few storms. If you're someone who hates the sun, hot weather, or who likes summer storms... you won't like Boise.

Likewise, if you don't like long, cold winters in which the days are short, it can be pretty cloudy (lack of sun), and colder temperatures... you won't like Boise. We don't have midwest or northeast long winters, but we have long winters. This year our winter will run from now (mid November) through early March, before we enter our transition months. We won't see a lot of sun, we won't have a lot of warm days.

You have to be able to deal with that and figure out how to make the best of your life during these months. Some people are able to go out and bike, hike, ski, and enjoy being outside in spite of the cold. Other people don't handle that well, and stay cooped inside all winter and get miserable. If you work 8-5, M/F.... you don't get a lot of chances to get outside because it is always dark. So if you're moving here to be "outdoorsy," you need to be hearty and motivated to do it... and not fairweather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area