Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 10:26 AM

21 posts, read 56,748 times

Advertisements

Hello I am Sleepy Kitty. My family and I are moving to Boise in 2 months and i would like to know what it is like there I want everything schools, jobs, crime, the whole 9 yards. I am a sophmore and i really don't want to move but i have to. i want to know this place before i get there.
THANK YOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 01:12 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Greetings,

Please use the SEARCH feature and spend some time doing some reading. Your questions are all answered in multiple threads. (Per the TOS): Please avoid open-ended requests like "I'm moving to your city, tell me EVERYTHING I need to know."

We're all happy to help, but you can help yourself by doing your homework first.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:10 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,374 times
Hello,

I currently live in California but grew up in Boise and have visited Rapid City. Others will be able to give you specifics. However, I am a younger person with high school age family living in Boise. So I'll target your experience moreso than the whole family.

Not sure what you're travel experiences are but you should find Boise to have much more of a big city feel which may be exciting or overwhelming. However, it isn't as if you're walking into New York City. The Boise Metro area is about 5-6 times the size of Rapid City and made up of several cities. So before you start your resarch you should check to see if you're family is moving to the City of Boise or a suburb. Most coming to this forum are people moving to Boise to get away from big cities. In your case your family is coming from a smaller city and it can be a far different experience. I don't know what crime is like in Rapid City but it isn't anything to be too worried about in most of the Boise Area. You'll probably find traffic to be quite a bit worse and it can get a little smoggy in Boise.

Boise can be a fun place for young people. There is a ton to do. Float the river through the city, recreation in the parks, skiing/sledding/etc in the winter. You'll also find a large mall with several other malls being built around the valley. There are also a lot of fun places to eat such as popular chain restaurants, unique coffee houses and locally owned restaurants. You'll also find a few megaplex movie theaters scattered about the area. One even has an IMAX that shows first rate 3D films (not the IMAX you find at museums/national parks). Downtown Boise has shopping, dining, movies and more. One thing you won't find are the "fun parks" or amusement-type parks you have in Rapid City.

I suppose, it is all what you make of it. Like anywhere there is the right crowd and the wrong crowd and that may influence you're impressions and social life in Boise.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:58 PM

34 posts, read 197,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Kitty=^--^=2010 View Post
Hello I am Sleepy Kitty. My family and I are moving to Boise in 2 months and i would like to know what it is like there I want everything schools, jobs, crime, the whole 9 yards. I am a sophmore and i really don't want to move but i have to. i want to know this place before i get there.
THANK YOU
First of all, Congratulations!! Consider yourself one of the lucky ones to be able to soon be calling Boise home. I think you will find many similar things that you have in Rapid City, only on a little grander scale. Sure, we don't have Mt. Rushmore or Sturgis Bike rally, but plenty to do and see.

I for one love this place. I have been here for over 30 years and consider myself lucky to have seen it evolve over the years. What has changed is there is more variety on things you can do. What hasn't changed is the small-city Relaxed feel. I think even though it is larger than Rapid City, you will still find that you can relax and enjoy yourself. Plus, none of those Alberta clippers to freeze the city solid that often occur east of the Continental Divide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area