Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:09 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,093,932 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's that bad.

You can certainly find cheaper housing and you could more than likely make more, depending on your degree and what industry you are in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,368 times
My question for Idaho is ... " Where are all the good looking lesbians with class , looks, and style that you dont have to meet at the BALCONY ????????

Old 03-31-2009, 05:03 PM

993 posts, read 3,251,826 times
Where ever it is I'm getting a chair and sitting out front

Old 04-04-2009, 10:14 AM

2,942 posts, read 1,637,116 times
[quote=bella25;2444095]Is the wage really that low? I've seen posts that the wages are low, but when I look at monsters.com and other sites, i find accountant jobs for $40,000-50,000. Is that realistic?

Yes, the wages are low, and getting lower as more people loose their jobs. Do not believe everything you read on the web sites about wages. Most are unrealistic wages.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:46 AM

314 posts, read 1,217,578 times
Why are we bumping an ancient thread anyway? Why does a 1-poster bump a thread to make a homophobic comment? I must have missed it where the OP came out of the closet in her post?

Bella--if you're still considering an escape out of small town California, you'd probably like Boise. You're right in the sweet spot for singles action. 20-30 is the sweet spot. Anything older...well, good luck to you.

As for snow--this season seems to have been similar to most recent winters as far as I could tell. Very manageable snow. No need for snow tires. Just be careful during the actual snowing because there isn't much plowing around here and people do slide around a bit, mostly as they come to stop or start at a stoplight. As for living above 3000ft, well, good luck to you there, if you were to do that. You'd probably need snow tires at 3000ft level. But the snow does melt off the roads usually by the day after the snow arrives. Also be careful for black ice. In town and around town, maybe not much of a problem. But further out of town, black ice is an issue.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 744 times
Someone please tell me....is it stil possible to find a decent house /condo (newer) in or near Boise or Eagle in the 270,00 range? Need walkability factor to shopping and dinning of 90%.

Thanks

Old 03-14-2018, 10:14 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laylatate View Post
Someone please tell me....is it stil possible to find a decent house /condo (newer) in or near Boise or Eagle in the 270,00 range? Need walkability factor to shopping and dinning of 90%.

Thanks
You bump a 10 year old thread to ask this?

Old 03-28-2018, 07:28 AM

236 posts, read 195,469 times
Bella25 ~ I am single and moved here in 2013. I have worked and lived in several other areas of the country including Colorado and Texas. The Boise area has been the hardest place to meet new people. The area itself overall has been pleasant and a relatively nice place to live, however, socially this place is rather like a ghost town for some reason. Jobs can be a problem depending upon your occupation so as others have said, make sure you have something in place before you come or it could be a disaster. So many people are showing up and buying properties here, making it competitive- even the rental market. I'd say best case scenario is you get a job lined up and a rental secured with a yearly lease and try it out for a year. The weather is all over the place meaning one yr we're snowed in and the next, we are good! I know there is no perfect place however if you really are looking for a well connected social community type vibe, I must admit the Boise area does not really offer this. Many people who relocate here complain about this problem and we end up putting our time and energy into our hobbies, homes and work. Hope this was somewhat helpful;-)

Old 03-28-2018, 07:51 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenwings View Post
Bella25 ~ I am single and moved here in 2013. I have worked and lived in several other areas of the country including Colorado and Texas. The Boise area has been the hardest place to meet new people. The area itself overall has been pleasant and a relatively nice place to live, however, socially this place is rather like a ghost town for some reason. Jobs can be a problem depending upon your occupation so as others have said, make sure you have something in place before you come or it could be a disaster. So many people are showing up and buying properties here, making it competitive- even the rental market. I'd say best case scenario is you get a job lined up and a rental secured with a yearly lease and try it out for a year. The weather is all over the place meaning one yr we're snowed in and the next, we are good! I know there is no perfect place however if you really are looking for a well connected social community type vibe, I must admit the Boise area does not really offer this. Many people who relocate here complain about this problem and we end up putting our time and energy into our hobbies, homes and work. Hope this was somewhat helpful;-)
You live out in Nampa?

Socially, Boise is what you make of it like in any city. Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake, even NYC all have threads about the difficulties of new comers making friends and that is because everyone is on their computer or phones attempting to meet people. Society is different now than it was 20 years ago.

I disagree with your assessment that Boise does not offer a well connected social community because it does and I know this first hand. The only people I know of who complain are the ones who participate here at City Data. I do not hear this when I am out and about in regular life in Boise. I do not hear this from younger professional in the work place who relocate here form larger cities. It all most likely depends on the career circle a person finds themselves in when they move here and how their personality clicks with others.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:17 AM

21 posts, read 27,061 times
It is a very common complaint about Boise that meeting people is hard. You can see hundreds of threads in this forum complaining about it. Just because someone has a different experience doesn't mean there isn't some truth to that its hard to meet people here. We have lived here for most of our lives and frequently find it difficult to meet new people when old friends move away or are too busy to socialize.

Boise and the west in general has a very strong independent, "leave me be" streak. It doesn't often go much beyond a polite "hello" and smile, even when sharing the same interests and hobbies.

Of course, the internet is also a factor. I assume the majority of us spend time here because our social lives aren't bursting at the seams. After all, why else would we be spending so much time online?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area