Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 06:16 PM

164 posts, read 314,836 times

Advertisements

Well, it was a difficult process, the seller was the worst, but we finally closed today! You would have thought that the seller didn't really want to sell...
We turn in the paperwork for a property line adjustment tomorrow. Does anyone have any insight into how long the city will take to work through that process?
The lot currently faces a relatively busy road but has a cul-de-sac behind it. In order to get access to the cul-de-sac, we purchased a corner of the neighbors lot for access. We had the survey work done and the pins are in place so I think we have everything the city needs to at least start the process...
We picked a builder, at least we think we have... There is lots of time to make the final decision while the city does their thing.
One of the best things about the lot is that there is no HOA. This was something we decided going in, there is no way an HOA would be considered. The lot is a half acre square, so there is very little limitation on the house we could choose.
Many of the newer homes that we have seen are stucco, is there an issue with stucco and freezing weather? I would think that it would be somewhat porous allowing water to soak in and freeze causing damage. What would be the ideal siding? Hardi-Board?
The lot has irrigation water rights but does not seem to have irrigation water delivered to it. All the lots around it either have pressurized irrigation or a ditch running along one edge. This one does not, how hard is it to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 03:29 AM

48 posts, read 96,054 times
Congratulations! May your journey from home design, construction and moving in be a dream come true!

Old 02-06-2015, 07:18 AM

719 posts, read 1,566,422 times
The water access can be tricky. Long story short you can get the water but you'll probably have to get easements to run a line and then you'll have to pay for the installation of the line and install a pump to bring the water to your property. The irrigation district can be very difficult to work with. You may also look into a well although you may not be able to do that if you're in the city and/or you have access to municipal water.

My place is on an acre just adjacent to city limits and I've been very frustrated by the irrigation district. They wouldn't let me tap into the pressurized system the developer behind my property recently installed despite the fact that he was willing to run a stub onto my property and I had the water rights. It's somewhat of secondary importance to me since my place is on a well, but I still would prefer to use irrigation water and save the wear and tear on the pump and well. I haven't given up my water rights yet but I've given it some thought.

I tend to like engineered wood siding because it holds up really well with proper maintenance and a good paint job freshens up the whole house.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:55 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemedic View Post
Well, it was a difficult process, the seller was the worst, but we finally closed today! You would have thought that the seller didn't really want to sell...
We turn in the paperwork for a property line adjustment tomorrow. Does anyone have any insight into how long the city will take to work through that process?
The lot currently faces a relatively busy road but has a cul-de-sac behind it. In order to get access to the cul-de-sac, we purchased a corner of the neighbors lot for access. We had the survey work done and the pins are in place so I think we have everything the city needs to at least start the process...
We picked a builder, at least we think we have... There is lots of time to make the final decision while the city does their thing.
One of the best things about the lot is that there is no HOA. This was something we decided going in, there is no way an HOA would be considered. The lot is a half acre square, so there is very little limitation on the house we could choose.
Many of the newer homes that we have seen are stucco, is there an issue with stucco and freezing weather? I would think that it would be somewhat porous allowing water to soak in and freeze causing damage. What would be the ideal siding? Hardi-Board?
The lot has irrigation water rights but does not seem to have irrigation water delivered to it. All the lots around it either have pressurized irrigation or a ditch running along one edge. This one does not, how hard is it to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance!
We've done two lot line adjustments, but ours were both in Meridian. So no experience with Boise on that. Meridian was pretty quick. Its been a couple years since our last one, but I think it only took them about a week.

I personally like Hardiplank / Hardiboard. My insurance company gives me a discount for having it, as well. If you want an accent, people use stone, brick and stucco. It's a pretty dry climate, so stucco is not typically a problem, other than during the installation process (I see tarps hung up around houses occasionally when they are putting up stucco. Stone and brick are both good. We build nice custom homes in the area, and use Hardiplank for pretty much all of them.

Can't help with the irrigation, as that is outside my knowledge base.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:37 PM

424 posts, read 579,751 times
As long as you have water rights (irrigation) there shouldn't be a problem. I say shouldn't but you need to check with the irrigation district office to make sure. Those with pressurized irrigation do not have a problem. Now I'm going with my irrigation district on the following so your situation could be different; you will have to check.
We have water rights to our acre and are supplied by a ditch. You are only allowed so much water per year depending on the snow pack. Some years ok others bad. Two years ago we were only allotted enough water for once every three weeks. There are three of us that receive water from a gate that has to be turned on and turned off. We submit a request for water (our case is usually 15 inches of water for 3 days (8AM -8AM) (2-1 acre parcels and 1- 3 acre parcel) I suggest you talk with the neighbors nearest you and find out how they operate. If you do not have access to water you are going to have to pay to have a system put in.
Now the question is are you on city water or well water. If on city water it could be expensive to water, if on a well no problem. I irrigate with well water on the law (about 1/2 acre) and use the irrigation water on what we call the pasture. The big problem with irrigation water is the unwanted proliferation of unwanted "plants and grasses". It's up to you and the cost of either should be the determining factor.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajebriza View Post
Congratulations! May your journey from home design, construction and moving in be a dream come true!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaD View Post
The water access can be tricky. Long story short you can get the water but you'll probably have to get easements to run a line and then you'll have to pay for the installation of the line and install a pump to bring the water to your property. The irrigation district can be very difficult to work with. You may also look into a well although you may not be able to do that if you're in the city and/or you have access to municipal water.

My place is on an acre just adjacent to city limits and I've been very frustrated by the irrigation district. They wouldn't let me tap into the pressurized system the developer behind my property recently installed despite the fact that he was willing to run a stub onto my property and I had the water rights. It's somewhat of secondary importance to me since my place is on a well, but I still would prefer to use irrigation water and save the wear and tear on the pump and well. I haven't given up my water rights yet but I've given it some thought.

I tend to like engineered wood siding because it holds up really well with proper maintenance and a good paint job freshens up the whole house.
I intend to do everything I can to attach to the pressurized irrigation that is right next door.

I like how clean stucco looks but not sure about longevity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
We've done two lot line adjustments, but ours were both in Meridian. So no experience with Boise on that. Meridian was pretty quick. Its been a couple years since our last one, but I think it only took them about a week.

I personally like Hardiplank / Hardiboard. My insurance company gives me a discount for having it, as well. If you want an accent, people use stone, brick and stucco. It's a pretty dry climate, so stucco is not typically a problem, other than during the installation process (I see tarps hung up around houses occasionally when they are putting up stucco. Stone and brick are both good. We build nice custom homes in the area, and use Hardiplank for pretty much all of them.

Can't help with the irrigation, as that is outside my knowledge base.
I hope that Boise is quick, there is quite a bit that had to go into the application. We weren't able to turn the application in on Friday because the other owner was not able to notarize his document allowing us to turn in the application. I'm sure that once it is all in front of them they will tell us we forgot something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
As long as you have water rights (irrigation) there shouldn't be a problem. I say shouldn't but you need to check with the irrigation district office to make sure. Those with pressurized irrigation do not have a problem. Now I'm going with my irrigation district on the following so your situation could be different; you will have to check.
We have water rights to our acre and are supplied by a ditch. You are only allowed so much water per year depending on the snow pack. Some years ok others bad. Two years ago we were only allotted enough water for once every three weeks. There are three of us that receive water from a gate that has to be turned on and turned off. We submit a request for water (our case is usually 15 inches of water for 3 days (8AM -8AM) (2-1 acre parcels and 1- 3 acre parcel) I suggest you talk with the neighbors nearest you and find out how they operate. If you do not have access to water you are going to have to pay to have a system put in.
Now the question is are you on city water or well water. If on city water it could be expensive to water, if on a well no problem. I irrigate with well water on the law (about 1/2 acre) and use the irrigation water on what we call the pasture. The big problem with irrigation water is the unwanted proliferation of unwanted "plants and grasses". It's up to you and the cost of either should be the determining factor.
A well is not an option, at least I don't think it is... We don't want to flood irrigate. There is a possibility of using the pressurized irrigation. The neighbor says that there is a spigot on my lot somewhere but we haven't seen it. Once we clear the weeds and debris, we should be able to find it.

Does anyone have a reference for someone to keep the growth down, clean up anything loose and fix a gate that fell off?

Old 02-07-2015, 02:28 PM

63 posts, read 166,931 times
Where is your lot located? 0.5 acre is quite large; probably one of the reasons Boise is always cited as one of the most sprawling cities in the NW... unlike Portland, a car is not optional.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:40 PM

It is in southwest Boise near Victory and Cloverdale. A car is definitely required...

Old 02-08-2015, 07:45 AM

731 posts, read 957,845 times
Congratulations!! Good luck w/the build...post pictures? Would love to follow along with the process!!

Old 02-08-2015, 06:40 PM

63 posts, read 166,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemedic View Post
It is in southwest Boise near Victory and Cloverdale. A car is definitely required...
Not a bad spot.... I see how you have 0.5 acres, unincorporated SW Boise, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area