Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 11:34 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,939,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
It's not hard to hook up if you get a window-mounted antenna. Roof-mounted antennas might require professional installation to run the wiring. I went to Costco and bought an HDTV antenna that sticks on the window. It worked fine for me, but reception does depend on where you are. When I was at my brother's house near Seattle the window mount didn't work for him because his TV is downstairs in a back room, and the lot backed up to a steep hill that blocked the signal. He ended up getting satellite TV.

As for the Roku, it depends on what you want out of your TV experience. With a Roku you're not going to be able to watch the most current cable network shows. While there are some free channels, odds are you're going to want to sign up for a paid service like Netflix or Hulu Plus. They have a lot of stuff from certain networks, but by no means everything and what they do have is usually anywhere from a week to a season behind. I have Netflix and Amazon Instant video (which comes free when you have Amazon Prime). Even both together is less than I would be paying for cable or satellite TV.

Note: If you have a current gen video game console, you may not actually need the Roku. I got an Xbox One for Christmas and it has apps for both of the paid services I use so I'm actually thinking of selling my Roku 3.

If you want to know more about cutting the cord, this page gives a great overview:

How to drop cable TV and not miss a thing. | Digital Trends
Thank you so much for all the help Hesster. I really appreciate it. I am definitely going to do this when I get moved out there. One more thing, what about a smart TV, do they do any good? As you can see I don't no much about technical things!!

Every one on the CD is so very helpful. It's great so see such nice people. Thank you so much.

Last edited by 370z; 02-13-2015 at 11:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 10:58 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,636,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
Thank you so much for all the help Hesster. I really appreciate it. I am definitely going to do this when I get moved out there. One more thing, what about a smart TV, do they do any good? As you can see I don't no much about technical things!!

Every one on the CD is so very helpful. It's great so see such nice people. Thank you so much.
I can't say much about Smart TVs because I don't have one. My HDTV is a DLP from 2006 and doesn't have all that stuff. Smart TVs are just TVs that have the apps to access services like Netflix and Hulu built into them. In my opinion it's not a feature you should pay a lot of attention to or pay extra for. There are plenty of devices that will give even basic televisions the same capabilities as a Smart TV and do it much better with faster updates.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:06 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,939,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
I can't say much about Smart TVs because I don't have one. My HDTV is a DLP from 2006 and doesn't have all that stuff. Smart TVs are just TVs that have the apps to access services like Netflix and Hulu built into them. In my opinion it's not a feature you should pay a lot of attention to or pay extra for. There are plenty of devices that will give even basic televisions the same capabilities as a Smart TV and do it much better with faster updates.
Thanks again!

Old 03-14-2016, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 1,545 times
Hesster-
I just called T-Mobile to inquire about their unlimited data plan It is currently $95/month and is limited to 14GB of data that can be tethered between smartphone and wireless devices. Since I download a few movies a month I wonder if 14GB is enough. For $125 a month I can get 22GB of data to distribute downstream from the mobile hotspot. Do you ever hit the 14GB ceiling?

I just moved to Boise and under contract for a home in NW Boise. CenturyLink service is 12Mbps which is absurd! If I can combine my cell bill and my internet service for $95 a month and get acceptable streaming and download performance and not exceed 14GB from my phone to my computers, ROKU, printer, and disk storage device that is a pretty compelling business case for T Mobile. But that is a big IF.....

Old 03-14-2016, 03:28 PM

18 posts, read 16,053 times
I 'installed' a Mohu Leaf HDTV antenna (a flat antenna) with two thumbtacks on the wall to watch and record TV over the air. It works well, but the reception drops at times during thunderstorms.

Sony just made its Vue service available nationwide. It looks like they charge $39.99/month for 60+ channels that include your locals, Discovery, Comedy Central, ESPN, and a variety of other pay-TV stuff. I just don't know how good the stream quality would be since it's over the Internet.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:09 PM

122 posts, read 229,961 times
We stream a fair amount in HD and use about 200+ GB a month. FWIW. Apple TV, Hulu, Amazon Prime via a Fire Stick...

I am hoping for more options like Sony VUE, too bad the local channels aren't available in Boise. Its just in seven markets (NYC, LA, ...).

I've had no complaints with Cable One.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: