Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,159 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks!

My wife and I are moving to Boise area this year and recently put an offer in on a home in Rolling Hills up in the foothills and we really like the location, look and feel of the area there and I was wondering if there are other developments in the Boise foothills that meet our "like" list below. Since many of you are much more experienced with the area please provide any input that could help us find the ideal home for us this year!

Our "Like" list;

- Walking distance to mountain bike and hiking trails
- Close to the motocross track OMC
- Close to the Bogus Basin road for skiing/boarding
- In the foothills
- Prefer a backyard with a foothill view
- House at least 2500 sq feet
- Price range between 380-450K preferred
- Within 15-20 of Downtown Boise area
- Fenced property given we have 2 dogs

If you know of ANY other areas worth exploring please note them so that I can look at homes in those areas as well!

Appreciate it!

SP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 12:09 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,785,211 times
Not sure of your timeframe for a move, especially since you already have an offer in on a home, but I really like this area of NW Boise near the Eagle Velodrome on the opposite side of the landfill from Hidden Springs. It is called Eagle Springs Estates and normally there are more homes for sale, but right now I'm only noticing this one - 10614 N Halter WAY, Boise, ID, 83714 - MLS# 98569816 - Estately . Now if "I" were really interested in buying this particular home, I would probably offer them $380K and spend another $20-$30K to make it how I want inside.

Best wishes on your offer in Rolling Springs and upcoming move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi008 View Post
Hi Folks!

My wife and I are moving to Boise area this year and recently put an offer in on a home in Rolling Hills up in the foothills and we really like the location, look and feel of the area there and I was wondering if there are other developments in the Boise foothills that meet our "like" list below. Since many of you are much more experienced with the area please provide any input that could help us find the ideal home for us this year!

Our "Like" list;

- Walking distance to mountain bike and hiking trails- YES right out your back door
- Close to the motocross track OMC - ?? not sure where that's at
- Close to the Bogus Basin road for skiing/boarding - YES, just head down Hill Rd
- In the foothills - YES, right at the foothills
- Prefer a backyard with a foothill view - Some homes
- House at least 2500 sq feet - Some homes
- Price range between 380-450K preferred - Some homes
- Within 15-20 of Downtown Boise area - YES
- Fenced property given we have 2 dogs - Many of the homes

If you know of ANY other areas worth exploring please note them so that I can look at homes in those areas as well!

Appreciate it!

SP

Old 02-20-2015, 04:12 PM

719 posts, read 1,566,422 times
You can get an idea by just checking out Zillow and panning over the areas along the foothills. There are little neighborhoods all along the foothills from the east end above Warm Springs all the way out towards Eagle.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:13 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,481 times
The only other area with proximity to OMC, but that has the other requirements you're looking at, are the areas off Cartwright Rd. just off of Bogus Basin Rd (by Simplot Hill), and the developments on 36th north of Hill.

You're in the right vicinity.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,159 times
Thank you so much for the feedback guys! We have decided against the home in Rolling Hills for now since we think there might be some more areas for us to explore first. Appreciate the feedback and if anything else comes to mind feel free to share!

Thanks!

Old 04-06-2015, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,840 times
Hi kawi008 - Was just wondering if you decided on any particular area yet? We really liked Hidden Springs as well, especially since we have a young child. We will most likely rent for a bit there just to make sure it's where we want to be. Our "like" list is nearly identical to yours except we would add very family oriented community near the top!

Old 04-14-2015, 06:42 PM

5 posts, read 8,914 times
My husband and I are building in the Avimor subdivision in North Ada County. I've clocked it several times, and I can be from my home site to downtown Boise by Trader Joes in 24 minutes. There are several hundreds of miles of trails that are permanent features of Avimor, with the vast majority of the acreage to be left as open space. The Avimor trails system connects to the Ridges to Rivers trails. You can ride all the way to the Greenbelt on the trail systems. We looked at Hidden Springs, but prefer Avimor. We are building a totally custom home for about $450K on a large lot, but there are semi-custom homes for anywhere from 200-400K. Avimor is 8 miles North on Hwy 55, (about 5 miles N of the Hidden Springs turn off) it's another 9 miles to Horseshoe Bend.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:44 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,481 times
Downtown to Avimor in 24 minutes? Not during rush hour you can't. I drive from downtown to Banks almost every day in the summer. I've taken Cartwright, Hill, and State. That is an easy 40 minute drive any time after 4 and before 7. From 5-6 it takes longer even.

Just wait til the weekend bumper to bumper from Eagle to McCall during the summer.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:11 PM

879 posts, read 2,857,417 times
Yeah, a friend of mine's cousins moved to Horseshoe Bend from the Inland Empire Area of LA and they were a little surprised by the traffic issues (and cold - duh). Getting from Horseshoe Bend Road to Capital High took me 20 minutes in 2002 during AM rush. I can't imagine it is any better now.

If someone won't be commuting regularly none of these things matter a great deal, I suppose.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:25 AM

742 posts, read 1,128,502 times
It takes me about 18-28 minutes to get to Eagle or Hidden Springs from downtown Boise, depending. It's at least another 10 minutes to Avimor from there. At maybe the lightest traffic times, and catching all of the lights in sequence, can you get from Avimor to Trader Joes in 24 minutes. Normally it's an easy 35-40 minutes.

This is no lie. Two weeks ago I made the mistake of running to Walmart (blech, but I had to get an item I can only find there) at around 5:30. I left my house and got to State St. at just west of 36th (took me 3 minutes to do so). After I finally pulled onto State St (another 3 minutes), I sat in stop and go traffic hitting every single light until I got to Walmart. Parked, went inside, paid, got back to my truck, and was only in the store 5 minutes. I dealt with slightly less busy traffic driving back home.

The voyage is less than 3 miles one way, and Google maps puts it at a 6 minute drive. So, in a perfect situation, the drive should have taken 3 minutes to State, 6 minutes to Walmart, 5 minutes in the store, 9 minutes back home. So total = 23 minutes. Let's just say 25 minutes.

Well, it took me an hour. That is no exaggeration. Damn near 30 minutes to get down State, and another 15 minutes back. The wife asked me what the hell I was doing for so long; I said "I made the mistake of driving down State during rush hour."

The point... it is neither easy, nor quick to get to/from Eagle and downtown Boise using State during rush hour. Hill Road is slightly better, but it is single lane, 30 mph (usually slower when you factor in the Suburus), with a number of stop lights and stop signs. Cartwright Road has less traffic, but is also single lane and subject to the ever-present slow driver, plus then you're still fighting traffic once you hit Bogus Basin -----> downtown.

I always chuckle at these people who claim low times getting to and from places in Boise as if traffic signals were never red. Their times are realistic as the crow flies. It can take 10 minutes to get from 16th to Broadway using Main St. (with the construction), Bannock (lights are synchronized), State (lights are also not synchronized, plus you get the dolt trying to turn left and blocks the entire intersection for a light cycle). I work downtown; I know these times well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area