Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 12:25 PM

446 posts, read 709,391 times

Advertisements

How much variety does Boise have in restaurants? Any good Indian places, vegetarian, sushi, chinese, thai whatever?

I'm up here in Coeur d'alene and there's a few fancy 'resort' places and then a ton of burger and pizza places.

Are there more options for dining out in Boise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 12:41 PM

285 posts, read 540,876 times
Asian food really sucks in Boise Area. I know, since I am of Asian heritage.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:09 PM

719 posts, read 1,567,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyee3 View Post
Asian food really sucks in Boise Area. I know, since I am of Asian heritage.
Momo's off Eagle was fantastic before it closed recently (owners moved back to Nepal). Other than that I guess the only Asian foot joints I go much is Baguette Deli (fantastic banh mi) and Pad Thai House (really good Thai food). That's the extent of my Asian restaurant experience around here, and I admit I'm not Asian myself.

I think Boise has a pretty decent restaurant scene, and one that's improved quite a bit over the years. Certainly compared to CDL you're going to have both better and more numerous options.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:11 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
How much variety does Boise have in restaurants? Any good Indian places, vegetarian, sushi, chinese, thai whatever?

I'm up here in Coeur d'alene and there's a few fancy 'resort' places and then a ton of burger and pizza places.

Are there more options for dining out in Boise?
Boise has a pretty diverse dining scene for a city this size. There are 3 Indian restaurants I can think of and I've enjoyed all of them, there's a new vegetarian resturant on State and another on Overland/Federal Way and many restaurants offer vegie dish's on their menus. Tons of sushi restaurants, more than you would think for a landlocked city. There are also some good Thai restaurants, but the Chinese restaurants have their critics. Boise is a lot larger than CD'a so there will be a lot more dining options.

Here is a link to the restaurants in downtown...they list over 90 options in the city center.

http://www.downtownboise.org/index.cfm/dine/

Old 03-05-2015, 01:31 AM

48 posts, read 96,136 times
I really wish there was a good Korean restaurant in Boise.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:21 AM

879 posts, read 2,858,152 times
I think the restaurant and brewery scene in Boise is quite good for the size of the city. Obviously, ethnic cuisine will be few and far between with mixed results. However, there are plenty of restaurants with good food and great ambiance. My family prefers "Eagle Road cuisine", which kills me (chain restaurants). They think Downtown restaurants are expensive and a hassle. Sadly, a lot of people think like this and why an unfortunate number of them fail. However, they're often quickly replaced.

Long story short, unless you're someone that fine dines out several times a week the Boise Area should have more than enough places for you to try and enjoy.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajebriza View Post
I really wish there was a good Korean restaurant in Boise.
Have you tried and/or what is your opinion of the newer Korean restaurants on Broadway and Apple at Parckenter? I've noticed a restaurant on Vista advertises Korean food.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:04 AM

48 posts, read 96,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Have you tried and/or what is your opinion of the newer Korean restaurants on Broadway and Apple at Parckenter? I've noticed a restaurant on Vista advertises Korean food.
Those are just very Americanized versions of fast-food style asian blend that call themselves Korean without actually serving traditional Korean food. To be honest, if you have ever had traditional Korean, these are not even in the ballpark and no Korean would be reminded of home eating there. After living in Korea and enjoying the food, I can't eat at those places, they are just so far off the mark.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Those are just very Americanized versions of fast-food style asian blend that call themselves Korean without actually serving traditional Korean food. To be honest, if you have ever had traditional Korean, these are not even in the ballpark and no Korean would be reminded of home eating there. After living in Korea and enjoying the food, I can't eat at those places, they are just so far off the mark.
idk, K-Fusion on Broadway is actually pretty good and reminds me of Korean I've eaten in Seattle and California, I believe the owners moved here from CA and per their website the recipes have been "perfected over six generations". This place seems to get generally favorable reviews online also. It may not be as hardcore authentic as other Korean restaurants in larger cities or obviously Korea, but in a small city like Boise where the Korean community is small the restaurant isn't going to sell alot of dish's with cow hooves and chicken feet. I am glad they exist because at least I can enjoy Korean flav's in my own city. I have some Korean friends here and they make some killer food at their own homes and I am always glad when I'm invited.

Korea House which used to be on 8th Street downtown was excellent.

On another note, The Dish downtown on 10th Street is one of the best and more creative restaurants I've eaten at and this includes my experiences in larger cities.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:53 AM

742 posts, read 1,129,072 times
Quote:

Sounds like all the ethnic cuisine places I've tried here, sadly. I have a few Korean friends who live in LA now; we went to law school together at Santa Clara. Over the years I've had them up here and they can't stand the restaurants here, but especially the sushi. They fancy themselves foodies. But for some reason they really love Boise Fry Company. Haha.

The pubs and local restaurants are good. I like the Ram, Bittercreek, and Flatbread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area