Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 03:15 PM

742 posts, read 1,128,916 times

Advertisements

I think the advice offered so far is right.

If you're committed to walking (biking, bus, etc.), you'll want to be near a few things: shopping, groceries, schools, work, and buses. In Boise that is exclusively downtown.

If you're buying, you'll want to try to stick in these areas (in my opinion):

1. North End - from Harrison Blvd east to 4th St., probably no further north than Lemp, south to State.
2. East End - from Ave B. on the east to probably Walnut on the west, maybe Pierce. From the Boise River north the Foothills.
3. Southeast Boise - from Highland to the South, to the Boise River on the North; from Londoner on the east to Capitol / Boise Ave. on the west.

Obviously you're going to have a heck of a time finding anything in option 1 or 2 that is 3 bed/2 bath for under $300k. If that's your cap, then anything that comes up under $300k will be either really small, in bad repair, or you'll have a bidding war.

On the other hand, you will find pockets in SE Boise (close to BSU) that are just as walkable, but the prices are dramatically less. Figure about $200k for a 3 bed, 2 bath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 03:34 PM

64 posts, read 114,534 times
I think I only need 2 bedroom one bath, but maybe I am still priced out? Sign. Tricky.tricky.
Ok, I just don't lije the t-shirt. For 1,000 thousands of reasons. 1. Wear a proper shirt with buttons 2. I hate the use of 'we' presuming to speak for me 2. Better than that has this pedantic elementary school teacher tone 3. Better than a crazy person stockpiling machine guns? That's a low bar to set as my personal motto emblamized on my chest 4. It reminds me of people from college who were 'intolerant if intolerance' and never laughed or smiled ever, like people who whine about 'community values' but have no natural warmth or ability to relate to others as friends 5. i don't cars for the word divisive. It presupposes that the ultimate good is everyone agreeing to something very close to what is on the table
so that's just my personal take but if you see me in the north end if I buy there, don't count on me wearing one! Wow, could I make myself more hateAble than coming out against guns and anti-gun t-shirts ??
I'm going to go hide for a while. If I buy in the north end you'll know me as the one with the fancy European triple stroller.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:37 PM

719 posts, read 1,567,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aisling123 View Post
Thank for this detailed information, IdaD. Too bad there is no such thing as a realtor who specializes in walking. They can never give me advice because they have no idea what I am talking about, ever. I figured that if I were in the north end, I take the children out a bit and go for walks in the evening solo, like maybe be involved in cultural activities. My budget is low, like I said single income family, maybe 300k. That's the issue. I'm possibly pric d out. And I have to consod r a whether it is worth to live in a teeny house, but it might be. Thanks for the uber suggestion but I'm working with three cars seats nowadays so not feasible (-:
The north end neighborhood website had a man in a really annoying passive aggressive t-shirt. Ugh. And I ddon't like guns and I found it annoying!
$300k will be very tight for a family of 5, at least by spoiled American standards. According to Zillow, in the specific areas I mentioned that would buy you a 3 bedroom 1800 square foot townhome near Municipal Park. I didn't see anything feasible listed in the interior north end for that budget, but it's possible something will come up.

Regardless of the criteria, real estate is always a series of tradeoffs. You compromise on the house or square footage, compromise on walkability and get a second car, or add more to your budget. Or try to find something to rent I guess.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:40 PM

719 posts, read 1,567,067 times
One other area you might look into is that neighborhood between State and Fairview and 27th and maybe about 19th. It feels a lot like the north end but it's a little more transitional so the prices tend to be a little lower. It has good access to Albertsons on 17th and pretty good access into downtown via the Linen district.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:59 PM

Thanks, IdaD, I'll look at that. I'm willing to go pretty small in house of it's nice. I really wAnted to get into the north end for happiness/ soul reasons. There is no particular thing I needed to do that my husband vpuldn't drive me to later, but I love getting out and meeting peopke in cities. I'm trying hard to like the treasure valley and be happy, but it is an uphill battle. I thought a walkable neighborhood might help. I know it's super weird but I'm never going to drive as a personal spiritual value. So why am I living in the western us? Because I took a marriage vow that Ihave to stand by! Life is very expensive for families everywhere I guess.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:51 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
The OP may even like the area off of River Street on Lee and 11th. There are some tiny historic homes packed away in there and right by downtown and a few blocks from the library. The greenbelt is across River Street and she could walk down the greenbelt to Julia Davis Park and cross Myrtle to Whole Foods or Winco to shop.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:16 AM

Not many homes there and there's an issue with the rescue missions being there. I know we looked at the Grand St. townhomes when they were being built, as the area is pretty geographically awesome. But between the rescue missions, the homeless that congregate at Rhodes Skatepark, the massive apartment complexes... it doesn't have much of a residential appeal. I wouldn't want my kids in the area. Walking is a bit of a pain, too, considering you have to cross River St. (major street), Front, and Myrtle (5 lane freeway connectors).

I second the south of State St / 27th st. area, and still think that SE Boise close to BSU is where your best finds will be, given the size, space, and price of the house you need.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:45 AM

Thanks for this really detailed advice. I hugely appreciate it. I know I have a tough problem: housd for growing family (maybe more children as I don't believe in family planning) that I can walk outside during the day. Subdivisions, freeways, and shopping centers depress me. And we are not rich: we are a single incone family.
My take on the north end: I like the feel of the neighborhood but it is not the walk to everything area it might seem. So Ihave to consider if it is worth the trade off. My husband'so career is hugely important to him so that is what I am doing here.i did wander the north end a bit last night and liked that thee were people on their lawns with their guitars. I miss having neighbors! I don't know why I am so stressed about this, no ones health is in jeopardy! But I don't feel like a treasure valley person yet. Marriage vows are for better or worse but they never tell you in school now hard it will be.that is a piece of city data..

Old 04-07-2015, 10:06 AM

There are pros and cons to the North End as there are anywhere else.

Yes, it has the best vibe, the best location, the best charm, the quaint old houses, biking, walking, Camelsback, Hyde Park, the Co-op, etc. But you also get smaller, older homes, smaller lots, street parking, more congestion, higher home prices, etc. On the other hand, the homes will hold their value and/or appreciate more, too.

We wanted to buy in the North End but the house/lot we were getting (it was small, cramped, old, and no garage) compared to what we bought outside of the North End was night and day. It was our opinion that to buy a home in the North End that justified the experience we would need to buy homes priced in the upper $300k / lower $400k range... and we can't afford that now, nor do I think we'll ever want to spend that much on a house anyway.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:29 AM

Thank you Vandals. This whole project strangely rests on my shoulders. I am ordered to buy a house soon. Hugely stressful. Fortunately boiseans seem very friendly. I hope this north end is sort of a neighborly welcoming place. My family is eccentric. Some of us are foreigners. I like people. My husband doesn't. But we aren't super serious frowning people who earnestly rage about things about "tolerance." I so much miss knowing all my neighbors in my old city. Everyday I used to walk my children to the garden of a 15th century abbey. My least favorite questions on where I should live here are about politics. You spend about 5 minutes a year voting, why is it such a big deal? I have to get this house buying thing wrapped up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area