Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 06:28 AM

36 posts, read 105,765 times

Advertisements

My mom and I are visiting Boise next month and driving from there to Kalispell MT to visit my brother. I've read some postings on this forum about driving N to S thru Idaho but they were from several years ago. I'm super excited for this trip but anxious at the same time. I have a map of the state and can plan my route, however, I don't know the lay of the land. We will be driving during daylight hours and I expect the trip to be 10 hours. Can anyone please help me identify the most scenic routes from Boise to Kalispell? Narrow mountain passes make me nervous but I'm getting prepared for a fabulous scenic drive!

PS- We have never been out west and know very little about what this drive might be like so any help would be appreciated. How long can we expect to not have a rest stop on which routes, etc...Thanks so very much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 06:31 AM

Oops, I should have clarified a bit more. Kalispell is in NE Montana. I've found threads addressing the drive from Boise to middle and Eastern Montana but am looking to get to Kalispell in 10 hours or less if possible.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:41 AM

115 posts, read 260,655 times
Kalispell is in NW Montana not NE.

The best scenic route(s) would be either 21 through Idaho City, to Stanley, then north to Salmon and over Lost Trail pass to Missoula.--this one is about 7 hours to Missoula

The other option would be to take 55/95 north to Kooskia and head east to Lolo. I've not been this way but I think it's about 7-8 hours.

When will you be travelling? You'll want to check both Idaho and Montana road reports for construction and/or other issues.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:45 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times
Hwy 55 through McCall and past Riggins - Hwy 12 to Missoula - Hwy 93 to Kalispell

or

Boise to Stanley via Hwy 21 and then Hwy 93 through Bitterroots and all the way to Kalispell.

Both are great drives and doable in around 10hrs, although it will be tight and subject to traffic and road construction, which can add hours as they're two lane highways. If possible, I'd budget a couple extra hours and don't rush, especially if windy roads and passes make you nervous as there will be plenty. I'd avoid either in the winter and remember winter lasts a lot longer in parts of MT and ID than it does in Boise.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:11 AM

879 posts, read 2,858,374 times
Definitely check road reports. Spent many childhood roadtrips just sitting on mountain roads. You'll probably miss the worst of it. Most construction is in summer because of the favorable weather - and that is when the roads are most heavily used.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:11 PM

Thank so much everyone. I appreciate your feedback ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area