Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 11:38 AM

446 posts, read 709,489 times

Advertisements

Good idea? Bad idea?

Cost of living seems reasonable and it seems like a big enough town to have things to do.

All comments welcome.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:28 PM

679 posts, read 812,320 times
I see a lot of retirees with federal service coming here. They worked in a high cost/high wage area like California, sell their home, and move here. Their money goes a lot further in Idaho than California. Some can even pay all cash for a Boise home.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:23 PM

164 posts, read 314,994 times
I have lived all over the country and traveled to places in the world that I don't want to go back to. When I look back and try to think of a place that I'd rather live, on a limited budget, Boise is always at the top of my short list. No other place really felt or feels more like home. Sure, Boise isn't perfect, no place really is.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:14 PM

232 posts, read 565,705 times
I researched places to live for nearly 5 years before I actually retired, and chose Boise for a multitude of reason. Cost of living, cost of housing, crime rates, weather, medical services, etc were the major considerations. We got here in August 2011 and I haven't regretted it one bit. The only drawback is that Boise is a long ways from everywhere, so be prepared to do a lot of driving go get somewhere else.

Oh yeah, one other bonus. Social Security isn't taxed and a portion of your federal retirement is also not taxed. That's another plus...

I would suggest coming to visit the area first though.....some people don't like it, others love it. I was overseas, but took a months leave and we rented an apartment downtown so we could do all the day-to-day living (shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc). With a rental car we started looking at houses, checked out shopping, did a few touristy things, and had a wonderful time. It only took about a week before we knew we'd hit the jackpot, but stayed for three more weeks just because we could!

Old 06-06-2015, 11:42 AM

335 posts, read 376,692 times
You have to understand also, that where ever you choose to live you will not know if you like it or not for at least a year. Money does mean something but If I truly liked an area the money would mean nothing. Simply because you can always earn more. Even with visiting an area multiple times it is entirely different when your all moved in and living there. I have lived in 3 other states and moved to one after visiting multiple times and after finally being there, I was like, "what did I do". Needless to say I left. So even with visiting give it time. At least a year and then you will finally know.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:25 PM

254 posts, read 341,254 times
Ok my 2 cents but I am biased. We have been here 6 months and evaluating area as a late 50's couple. Considered retiring here but now have changed our minds. We are from Seattle and Montana. We have property in Montana still.
The Boise area reminds me of Seattle in the early 90's when the Californians migrated there at which time it drove up home prices, traffic, attitudes, etc, etc. I see the same thing happening here and Boise is not an attractive place to be soon.
No, its not for us and looking elsewhere now. May just live in Montana 5 months of the year and look for a 55 plus community elsewhere for during the colder Montana months.

Best of luck

Old 06-08-2015, 10:23 AM

285 posts, read 540,972 times
Default Sorry to hear that

Any ideas for the winter months?

Old 06-09-2015, 11:28 AM

254 posts, read 341,254 times
we will look at a 55 plus community either SE Florida or maybe Tucson Arizona and then back to Montana for 4.5 - 5 months. Its the younger than 45 age CA crowds I am attempting to avoid.......sorry.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:39 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
If there was any place I was going to live other than Idaho, it would be Montana, except for the cold. But I like Boise a lot.

My best advice:

If you hate hot, visit in August.
If you hate grey, visit in January (although sometimes January is blue sky and beautiful).

Make sure you see us at our worst (according to your likes/dislikes) before making a decision.

Everything else about Boise, I pretty much love. I'm a 3rd generation Idahoan, and plan to stay all my life.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:14 PM

285 posts, read 540,972 times
Default Tucson

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjcohen View Post
we will look at a 55 plus community either SE Florida or maybe Tucson Arizona and then back to Montana for 4.5 - 5 months. Its the younger than 45 age CA crowds I am attempting to avoid.......sorry.
We looked at Tucson. Unfortunately they are the blue part of AZ and lefties abound. I have even been to the shopping center where Gabriel Giffords got blasted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area